I made a Podrace with my iPhone + Blender

The only camera I used for this video was my iphone 13 Pro, which I used in two ways; half of the shots were filmed on the phone and then the podracers were tracked into the shots, the other half I used the Polycam app to help build a 3D version of my house entirely inside of Blender, so I could do the camera moves that would have been too difficult in real life.

The VFX was done in Blender, I got the podracer models online as static objects, I then rigged them so that the engines could move in there own way separate to the body and have the cables attach to them, and also have the flaps move along with the engine, this was done using the Wiggle Bones Addon. The explosions were also made entirely in Blender.

I used After Effects for a little bit of compositing and to add slight lens flares, then I put all of the finished shots together in Premiere Pro.

71 Likes

I wish I could give this more than one like!

3 Likes

Amazing ! Love the details with the cat. Great job

1 Like

Really excellent. Standing ovation! The cat scenes are wonderful. Was the video brought into Blender and then the pods were keyed to the video? Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Killer short! Cat had me laughing at the end. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is super well made, I love the comedy you inserted in this animation.

Great job and keep going :100:

1 Like

Great work on the VFX, it’s outrageously fantastic!!

1 Like

Hilarious and awesome at the same time. You nailed it. Bonus points for your cat’s acting abilities.

1 Like

What fun! I loved the scene where the Pods were insects, as a cat might see them. Very nice!

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks a lot!

Thank you very much! The video was brought into Blender to get the tracked/correctly placed camera, and then I exported the podracers with a transparent background which I then overlayed on top of the footage in Premiere / After Effects

Thank you! Glad you liked it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great work! Super fun idea, and cute cat!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

Haha great work ! cool shots. Very impressed with the cat, it looks lifelike.

It’s just ‘greatly-everything’ thanks for this !!!
an hug to the cat :wink:

Happy blending !

You can! You can go to the Youtube video and like that too. :wink:

Guilty! I actually did that too.

A long time ago …
In a galaxy far, far away …
There was this cat.