Ideas on Realistic Mica Material?

I’m working on a vacuum tube model. The mica insulators have presented a challenge. There are many types of mica, but in electronics, most mica insulators are flat sheets with multiple, flaky, layers of mica. Semi transparent, with cracks and a slight tint. Some mica are more of a powdery white texture.

I tried using voronoi texture into noise texture modified by color ramp, feeding metallic and roughness of a Principled shader. It’s passable for a casual model, but it doesn’t look anything like the mica sample I have in front of me.

A real mica insulator looks like this:

Any suggestions on how to build such a shader network?

I wouldn’t say it doesn’t look anything like the sample, but I tried to find some more reference and it’s really hard to really get a sense of the material from images online. Iirc mica has a bit of “pearlescence” to it, doesn’t it? I wonder if it’d help to look at the nodes presented here and maybe add a touch of that to your shader?

It also looks like the cutouts have a distinct whiteness in your photo - perhaps add something to enhance the edges, like this: Worn edges material with Cycles (2.74) - how ? - #2 by IkariShinji

The example on the photo has smooth surface with barely any bumps, and yours is too rough. Perhaps add a Clearcoat effect through Principled shader for second specular layer? The grain of your texture is too fine, and lacks color and value variations

1 Like

may be use a UV map + bumps

did you find a high res image for a tube ?

happy cl

I think if I could make several transparent layers of pearl shaders, it may bring me closer to the look of this particular type of mica. And the light scatters a lot at the cutouts, as you’ve observed. This is likely a very complex shader to create.

Blockquote

I’m working from a physical specimen as my reference. Over my long career in electronics, I’ve disassembled many vacuum tubes, so I have a pretty good mental picture of the innards without taking them apart nowadays. I’m thinking that I need to use Clamp function in some Math nodes to get the effect where layers are pressed together in spots, making those areas more transparent. Like water between sheets of glass, that effect.

The surface smoothness is somewhat hard to determine. But it varies in flatness over the object. Good suggestion about the clearcoat. Maybe if I plug in a texture into that input, I can get some variability.

Okay, tried adding Clearcoat, but it didn’t change the appearance.

show a pic for the Mica and if possible the Nodes set up or a sample file

i did many tubes model in blender but did not really made this Mica mat
so find this interesting

may be do some multi layers glass with some noise + other
to get like transp multi layers noisy glass
should give closer to real MICA with noisy layers

thanks
happy bl

1 Like

Your suggestion about multiple layers of glass with noise sounds interesting. I had a glimmer of that thought myself but wondered if I could do it in one object with a fancy shader network.

I posted the shader network in my first post. Is there other info you’re looking for about this?

I did the print stenciling on the base today.

1 Like

just one note i find too much whitish reflections on tube’s surface
but this is your model and depends how you want the render !

may be use world internal nishita sky texture to get less reflections
see this thread

will try some test later on and be back

thanks
happy bl

better use the freedman sky - more grayish i guess
or change color of the nichita sky

i did a test for the mica pattern
not certain it is a good one
let me know if you got a better image for it

happy cl

The reflections off the glass are from an HDRI image I’m using to light the model.

I can’t make out the photo you posted. I see a lot of little pieces but can’t discern.

idk what you think - I took your original nodes (roughly), made the overall color more brown, mixed in the white edges, mixed in that pearl shader with a pinkish tone, and added some transparency filtered by a noise texture. If it’s interesting I can attach the blend here; since i don’t have a piece of mica nor your experience I can’t tell if this is any closer or farther from the goal. I added those white flecks but not sure if I like them. Anyway:

see some test for semi transp Mica

Random procedural texture PBR material - Support / Materials and Textures - Blender Artists Community

interesting
use a simple glass but could be better with standard transluscent mat
might do some test on this
but with many layers would be too dark i think

happy bl

I like what you’re accomplishing with the cutouts with their increased light scattering which emulates the look of real mica cuts, though in my sample, that effect if much more subtle. I wonder if it can be dialed back to about 20%? That’s half the battle right there. The other half is the light transmission through the mica and it’s many layers with some parts pressed together and other parts with gaps, changing the way light passes through and refracts.

I’m curious what your node tree looks like for this edge damage effect. I could not get the example shown earlier in this thread to work.

Today, I decided to work on the silver deposit on the glass… Another step toward realism: adding the silver deposit on the lower part of the glass envelope. In a vacuum tube, this is a result of the “getter” firing during manufacture. The getter is made of magnesium and other materials that burn real hot. When it burns, it condenses on the glass and that silvery coating is the result.
I produced this with texture painting. The areas that are transparent are black in the map. The silvered areas are white. I then took the base color and unplugged it from the base color input of the principled BSDF shader and plugged it into the Metallic input.
First, I had to get inside the glass envelope and paint from the inside, so that the silvering would be on the inside of the glass.
I could not paint directly in to the UV map because for some reason, Blender fragments the pieces that correspond to faces and puts them in separate islands when they should be contiguous. This drove me nuts for about 20 minutes, so I gave up trying to paint in the UV editor and just went inside the glass and painted directly there.

1 Like

Here are the edges:

I turned it down a bit already from my render, but to make it even more subtle, you could increase the value of that first Multiply by a little, or you can also increase the value of that Add node.

The white Diffuse shader is the edge shader; you could plug anything in there if you wanted a more advanced edge.

1 Like

still WIP there might be some other parameters to play with
but it is a good beginning

i did not include the edge effect not certain how to do that one

and here is the file

Random-patter-mica1.blend (168.9 KB)

will continue a little today

will see what i did for the inside Blackish faces
you could define a new material and darken it
or apply a volume blackshish shader

by the way are u using a thick glass or single face ?

i’m not using BL 3 only 2.9
so if possible try to do it in 2.9 cause i cannot use Bl 3.0

thanks for feedback

happy bl

i check a tube i did and for the inside blackish part i use the old refraction node not the PBR one!

happy bl

I tried replicating that node setup in your first screen shot there, but I could not get the edge effect you showed in your example render.