Is there a way to turn off all backfacing elements when in edit mode?

I’m trying to do retopology and wondering if there is a way to turn off everything that is not close to the surface of my model as viewed from the viewport camera. I’ve enabled backface culling and that helps somewhat, but I can still see all the vertices and edges of those back faces. I can also see front faces that are on a distant part of the model that should be occluded based on the direction the viewport camera is facing.

I have In Front enabled on my mesh object and it’s viewport color is set to a semitransparent green.

Is there any way to have Blender just show me the bit of the retopology mesh pointed toward the camera and hide everything that should be occluded by the sculpt mesh?

There was another post recently about this. I think the person was told to make a two sided material with the backfacing material set to either transparent or holdout.
Have a search for the title of your post in the search next to your name at top right…

I don’t understand how backfacing elements would hinder you retopo… since the are not visible… and this does have nothing to do with backface culling… because you have no areas which are “open” and can look “from behind”…

IDK what you really want to have… this is just different color and snap on nearest (sur)face:

another possibility is shrinkwrap modifier (and apply afterwards)…

It is really hard to retopologize like that because your faces are mostly buried inside the sculpt mesh. makes it hard to see the flow of the faces you’re creating. Which is why most tutorials tell you to set your mesh to be In Front in the viewport display. But if you do that, you get a lot of interference from faces on parts of your mesh that are far away from your working area.

There was a thread with several methods to achieve this with workarounds, some of them should still work - forum thread.

Official retopology overlay is being worked on too, don’t know if it will be finished before 3.6 is out.

3 Likes

Never heard of that bizare idea… ( this is one of this situations where people tell you the weirdest stuff just to post anything on their blog to produce content and it seem they have never really thought about that… :person_shrugging: )

Mostly saw something like shringwrap and offset… or solidify… like so… (almost instantly found while searching for blender retopolgize)

or this…

This might help: