keKit for Blender (2.8+)

I am unable to replicate the issue in mouse axis mode. It should work even if you are in “unselected edit mode”. Are you using latest version of keKit? Do you get any print-outs in the system console?

p.s. I did find another issue by chance, completely unrelated, probably maybe, we’ll see ;D

thx for sharing

Regarding “get set edit-mode/material” on “pseudo mesh” objects (like curve with geometry) etc.:
Raycasting does not work and I have found no other applicable/sane solution…

Edit: and then I find a simple solution ;D Will test if it is too simple and breaks things.

Hi Kjell, would you be interested in creating a material replacement functionality in which you can store the material that is replaced and its replacement counterpart?

I will be working on a large design project soon with dozens of materials and the models themselves will be imported from various external software packages. Since the design will be changing often, I am looking for a way to reliably automate the material replacement procedure at the click of a button. Ideally, I would like to first replace materials manually (e.g. Material_A to Material_B) and on each consecutive design iteration, replace all materials based on earlier material assignments (which could be stored in an external file/ preset and loaded if needed).

surely theres already addons that can do that.

Hey!
As I was typing CybranM beat me to it ;>
Would this work? It’s not exactly what you are asking for, but pretty close? I believe it is included.
(A custom script to assign “pairings” for a one-button click is ofc quicker, but I can’t make any promises I can help you out.)
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/materials/material_library.html

1 Like

I think Geom Nodes can do this, but maybe not “ready” yet or in test builds.

I think you can “Switch” materials/slots via the geo nodes, but I will have to test it out as well.
I would be interested in this as well, as I like to apply some “Real” materials on my highpoly as I work, but then when I export to bake in Toolbag or something, ideally I would “Swap” my materials to like a ClownMap layout, so I got my per pixel maps/colors setup easily/immediately.

Looks interesting, but that’s one on one replacement, right? So that would take a whole lot of nodes to do. It also looks like you need to do this per object. To me it seems more logical to have a node which you can populate with the ‘old’ materials materials that you could then wire to a node for the new materials to replace them all in one go. But I don’t think that’s what geometry nodes does. It doesn’t seem to be ready for batch processing this yet, or am I missing something?

Ideally, it would be closer to Grasshopper, where D1, D2, etc. would be the materials to replace with (this script is non-sense but visually, it gets the point across)

@Kiellog thanks for the tip, that’s a handy addon. No worries if you won’t be able to help, you’ve done a lot already :wink:

@Kiellog hey, man!
any chance you’ll finish Rise of dragon?

A very very small chance. It is probably more likely that you do it :wink:

1 Like

I think you can do something like copy/paste that modifier/geo nodes onto multi objects or drag from Asset Browser in 3.0 in the future, to re-use it.

But yeah, idk how that will work with materials, or maybe an addon has to feed into it.

anybody has an issue with zoom all or selected? - for me it resets 3dC position and doesnt zoom on unselected anymore

Awesome update! :smiley:
Do you think that the “TT / Mouse Axis Move” might resolve the issue I described earlier (not being able to move because item was unselected in obj mode)?
I’m using a few other addons that might cause that issue, Decal Machine and MachineTools mostly.
I’ll report back and try to narrow down what’s causing it if it still exists.

Another thing I noticed is that you cant use “View Plane” move in “local orientation”, would it be possible for that tool to use “local orientation” if that’s currently active?
I have “W” bound to “Mouse Axis” and “Shift+W” bound to “View Plane” (Similar for scale but on “R”) and it works really well, except for when I switch to “local orientation”. “Mouse Axis” works flawlessly but “View Plane” resets to global (or shows gizmo with “VPAG” disabled) but it would be super handy to have it also use “local orientation”.
If you have time and its not a Blender limitation I think it’d be a great option to be able to use “local orientation” with “View Plane” :smiley:

Is “Purchase again” on gumroad the best way to donate to you? You deserve more money

Earlier Issue: Yeah, I cant seem to replicate. If you find something lemme know.

Viewplane: Not sure if this is some conflict or I’m misunderstanding, but seems to work (as I’d expect) on my machine™ ?

Though the plane snap is pretty bad (getting a lot of incorrect planes) + it’s really hard to know which axis is which without any indication in local mode (like with a visual handle) so I don’t use this in local mode myself. I also don’t plan on improving it due to this inherent limitation (disorientation).

EDIT: You might want to test using TT-toggle for shortcuts instead of the discrete tools, if that is the case? Should work either way though, local viewplane. Crappy as it is.

Gumroad: Yup! ;> Thanks!

Unrotator awesome update!

Oh sorry, I meant “View Plane” with local in “Edit Mode”

Edit mode seems to work for me as well?

Ello,

Macro Mesh Clean and merge to mouse are giving these errors,

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\kekit\ke_clean.py", line 113, in execute
    self.select_collinear(o)
  File "C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\kekit\ke_clean.py", line 53, in select_collinear
    bmesh.update_edit_mesh(obj.data, True)
TypeError: update_edit_mesh() takes at most 1 positional argument (2 given)

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\kekit\ke_merge_to_mouse.py", line 33, in invoke
    return self.execute(context)
  File "C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.0\scripts\addons\kekit\ke_merge_to_mouse.py", line 137, in execute
    bmesh.update_edit_mesh(obj.data, True)
TypeError: update_edit_mesh() takes at most 1 positional argument (2 given)

This might be python API changes from blender 3.0, I am not checking for API issues for 3.0. until they are finalized (=shipped).

2 Likes

All good i fixed it super simple :slight_smile: