Low Poly Graveyard Game Ready Assets Pack WIP Thread

Tweaking, tweaking, tweaking… Didn’t really liked lighting in that scene. And also, made sure that it looks decent in a bit older UE version. Viewport view from 4.26:

1 Like

Now we wait :slight_smile:

1 Like

And play in editor test for the demo map of this version:

1 Like

And it got approved :partying_face:

Here’s the trailer video:

And here’s UE link: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/low-poly-nature-essentials

And a lot of images:

2 Likes

Small update. Created ‘proper’ project for Unreal for the Graveyard pack release and started working on importing the assets there and building ‘asset showcase’ map (Unity has already ‘proper’ version). Still need to do some modelling after that, but I can see the finish line :slight_smile: . And while I’m at it I found some ways to improve some of the models (like improving geometry or UVs or lightmap UVs) - seems that even in simple low poly modelling one can improve in a year.

Here’s wip screenshot

1 Like

Importing everything back to Unreal is sooo much work :sweat:… ~40h spent this week on that and still around ~150 models to do… It’s not only shuffling files around, but in many cases I improve models (mostly in terms of UVs), but that’s maybe 10%-20% of the work…

Just finished putting in gravestones:

1 Like

While plowing through :wink: additional models I recorded this “behind the scenes” short video showing some variants for a burial urn:

1 Like

I might went overboard a bit with urns… Here is what I did:

And with colors:

I made both base models, broken models and “piles” (collection of already placed models). The first ones are for fine control, the 2nd ones are for ease of use (you just place the whole thing in your level). Here are base models:

After modeling base models I prepared ‘broken’ variants:

I was quite careful to keep quad topology for the broken ones:

I did it because of easier time with UVs (I just could have nice strips of quads everywhere). This is especially important on UE side, with static lighting. Even if UE5 went “all in” on lumen and dynamic lighting, it seems that quite a few people are still using static lighting (I asked on reddit^^).

And last, but not least, here are few piles:

And obviously, imported and set up on both Unity and Unreal side. First Unreal renders:

And Unity (from URP):

Edit: seeing the above… I could probably release a separate “low poly urns” pack :thinking:

1 Like

Small update for today - 2nd set of walls (WIP):

1 Like

Finished two sets of fences (fixing the first set and adding 2nd one). Modelling was fun, but making UV lightmaps for UE was painful

(for context: I just finish making 164 lightmap UVs for those models, this is lightmap density visualisation mode in ue4… symplifing: green is good)

Will post some nicer renders of those fences after I get some rest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those fences took a while. But now the pack will have 2 sets of modular stone fences (and one wooden that I did already for the nature pack). I had to revisit the one set of fencing I already made and fix a few issues there. Here’s the result:

62 models for the first set (which I call ‘type a’):

And 111 for the second set (type b):

Topology is mostly good (not quads everywhere, but keeping it more-or-less quad-based):

Both set are to the same scale so they can be mixed and matched. Also I am keeping the modular pieces in so other combinations can be made. Also quite a few other combinations can made from those pieces like that one:

Here’s how the fences look in Unreal:

And in Unity:

For Unreal I autogenreted colliders (on the engine side), but for Unity I made primitive ones (from boxes):

3 Likes

oh, how wrong I was :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

So proud to be included with so many great asset in Humble Bundle at great value:

1 Like

Deadlines are meant to be broken. :wink:

1 Like

Update time. Cobwebs, barrels and buckets. Cobwebs in low poly style were surprisingly hard to get right. I think in the end I got it mostly right, but I might revisit it in the future:

And obligatory wire shot:

I wanted to see how those cobwebs could be used in a scene so I made below scene. I kind of like it, so will create a separate post for it.

Barrels and buckets I just revisited and improved a bit. It still took a bit of time, but nothing special here:

And topology of a bucket:

And a few renders from Unreal:

And Unity:

3 Likes

One thing about lightmaps for UE did bug me a bit… For simple shapes like planks, how should I do my lightmap UVs?

I made experiment with those 2 variants, and also with 2 additional:

There is a big bad seam in shading for variant A:

So… going with “wasted” or non uniform scaling is the way to go? I don’t like how ‘red’ it’s on lightmap density visualisation, but maybe that’s not tragic?

1 Like

Spent quite a bit of time on benches now. They weren’t that difficult to model, but I took a detour to better understand uv lightmapping (see above). There’s not much information out there how to do them correctly though… On one hand I guess there will be someone that appreciates carefully made UV lightmaps. But on the other hand I doubt many people will notice any change (I checked quite a few asset packs for Unreal - all of them had those generated by Unreal). So moving forward I will do ‘best effort’ approach to it (esp. that now when I know a bit more it’s hard to ignore completely).

Here is how the benches look like (Blender, material preview):

And a few more quick renders:

And obligatory wireframe for one of those:

Unity renders:

And unreal ones:

Btw. I prepared a 3 sets of benches in ‘pieces’ so they will be able to be broken down in game easily or assembled into different ‘piles’ for more variations.

1 Like

Small update: added a few sacks:

Not a typical prop associated with graveyards, but you have to somehow bring in stuff there like building materials, fertilizers, etc. Fairly easy to model too, so I added them. Wires:

And some Unity and Unreal shots:

This time though I thought I will do a bit more to showcase those models (and others in the pack). First, Unity render (URP):

And now 3 Unreal shots. First two ones are campfire shots… I couldn’t decide between day or evening lighting, so I made 2. The third one was night lighting test with those assets - I imagine such will be a mood for majority of projects using them.

1 Like

The lighting on the night shot is awesome.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: