Maritime World of Blender part 4

Added Morecambe bay. No harbours so terrain, sea, schooner, sloop. Makes 8 routes online for now. B

P.S. Found a 3 kilometer canal built 1796 so if I continue, as explained will add it on next update to this section. I think my aim is to try and include some relevant features in each route relating to approx. before 1825,

For link to my site Click B left hand side of each of my posts.
This applies at time of writing.
Just to confirm that Blender 2.79b has enough functions to make maritime routes as there are plenty of functions to explore. Does anybody make FREE simulations on these forums ?!!
I only know of Carcassone mediaeval town. Excellent.
If they do perhaps give the link to their site. I have no interest in the financial micro-market so not interested in that side.
All my routes and content are FREE and MUST NOT be used for financial gain!!

B

To the few that might be interested - and raise my jug of rum to you. (smile).

Area will be Solway Firth around the coast to Barmouth.
Size after route 8 will be up to about 20km (nos 1 to 8 online available for download at time of writing).
Sub-routes then can be extended out from any one of the main routes. Made the canal mentiond in previous post 1 mile. Sea gates at entrance. However the updtae can wait to be uploaded.

Uploaded update with mile long canal. 21/04/2019.

B
B

Added 2 basic routes as placeholders…heysham, wyre.
Thay make 10 currently on-line so time to pause.
Maybe have a look at steamships…or not.

May as well use what is alreday made.

10 online mainly around 20 km I think.
Another 17 large made at about 30 to 40km.
That takes me to the borders of Wales.
So would need about another 7 large to take me down to Lands End.
That will be the method I think. then add bits and pieces to the routes occasionally, open up rivers, harbours, trees, etc, etc.

Whether anybody else is interested doesn’t really matter now, as I now know the nature of Blender Artists. I will probably make them available for download. Many will be basic so if posting critique I would advise you to work on them youself to suit your own opinions. Perhaps also make a screenshot with full details to show your ‘improvements’ which might be useful for me and for others.

P.S Refer to my site for any updated details. Best for me just to reply to queries and discussion, rather than listing the changing pattern of the routes on these forums. B

Please refer to my site for details of any downloadable routesb and the current details.

I will check this forum occasionally re. relevant discussion.

All previous deleted posts that Blender Artists stores in its wisdom are now INVALID.
The same with my previous posts that refer to the routes but not any technical details.

B

Update 08-05-2019
Changed format of site to include some screenshots.
routes from Solway Firth to Lands End completed (Basic)
A varying 7 routes will probably be available at any one time for download. Era includes make believe and guesswork up to about 1825.
If I can fathom out how to make steam-ships will extend that up to about 1950.
Each route will have few reduced size screenshots. Seperate page/s text only will list the updates and amendments to the routes, as I make them, once the screenshots pages and brief descipions are completed, which will take a long time.
See link to site at side of posts. Critique not required-discussion welcome!
B

32 routes maybe change them each month with 7 to 10 online. Many will start off as basic but gradually they will become updated. The pages will stay just the downloads will change.
A bit of background info so that you know what I am trying to do which is not a sailing simulator which would require more expert people than myself.

B

My website routes no longer available for download.
Routes now on ba completed games

Test run for interest in these routes seems to be nil result and the commercial aspect changes the aspect of Blender as regards me making further free routes and free content. So the current Blender format no longer for me now, as too many changes.

Side link removed fro the present time. Will probably remake it when I make some progress as outined below. Thanks B

P.S. 15/05/2019

I will be remaking some of the areas I know, based on Mersey and surrounding area, pretend up to 1825. However in no hurry.

B

The following details will start my site when uploaded.
No further downloads available for now.I have discontinued the basic maritime routes for download for the present time. These will be replaced by blog-diary type of pages.

32 routes were made stretching from the Solway Firth around to Lands End. I will remove the scenarios and change to fixed floating boats/ships and one drivable.

Routes were made with Blender version 2.79b. Unfortunately (in my opinion) the game engine was removed in version 2.8.Back versions of 'Blender; are usually available for many years before the current version. At a later date I might bring back the downloads but for now it will be mini screenshots and descriptions written around the content. Also perhaps some real life dock photos of Liverpool old docks area.

All boats will now be static floating with up to three drivable, using wasd,tfgh,ijkl. Scenarios removed. Preset routes removed or no longer includedIf I bring the downloads back later the format will be as above.
I might put back online a single route Annan harbour as a start. No preset ship routes, no scenarios. This will make a big difference as can gradually add and make conten. Maybe leave just one route online which I will vary as I make,add,update content. Making mumerous routes availablr for download as before is a definate no go.

http://www.bgcoastalpast.com/

B

I have altered the set up of these routes.
The side link I will make active again.
Solway route to be put back online to start them off again.
No scenarios, no animations to trigger, no preset routes.
The difference will be drivable starting with 3 drivable schooners.
wasd, tfgh, ijkl.
Also may increase these by using keys 2q13, etc. Q being reverse.
so might increase drivable schooners and sailing flats to 5.
I need to experiment

P.S. If you want to drive the vessels with a purpose I could add
collect barrels, crates etc to the vessels function but only on request and if you are actually using the routes!

Could you confirm if route downloads OK. Only needs one person to confirm if downloads and runs and the same with other routes as I update them and make active fro download.

Thanks

Barry

Early paddle-steamer with jib sail heading to Annan harbour.
I think wih the schooner, paddle-steamer, sloop and sailing flats, and any variations, will be enough coastal sailing vessels for up to about 1825. I will use keys 234Q for the paddler to enable 4 drivable.

P.S.20/05/2019 updated version uploaded of 01Solway. B

1 Like

Some more to add. I am going to upload another update of the Solway Route. At the present time the last up date was 3 drivabe schooners and one drivable paddle steamer.
ijkl, tfgh. wasd for the schooners.

I have duplicated the paddlesteamer to make two drivable paddle steamers using the same method. using keys so 2345 and 5678

That just leaves single mast sailng sloop and the sailing-flat.
For these two I still have the bottom line letters free so
I will make the sloop z,x,c,v, and sailing flat b,n,m and apostrophe probbaly in next route Silloth.

That should make 7 drivable in each route maybe
Dock gates I could still animate using [ and ] or any symbol still free, assuming most keyboards are similar.

Regarding floating static I could just remove the logic bricks and rename each in material section such as 01barge, 02barge, etc.
I still need to inprove the schooner with rope ladders, etc at some time and maybe put the jib back, as only 2 main sails at present.

I will post when I finalise these changes and upload.
Incidentally this method is also an aditional back up for myslf of the vessels, etc.

The paddle steamer might capsize if more than gently bump along the coast. Makes it more intereting anyway and lifelike (smile)

B

20/05/2019
The final update for now of Solway.
Uploaded route for 3rd time I think.
Covers made for paddle steamer wheels to encase them within an enlarged collision box.
3 schooners and 2 paddle steamers now in this route.
Paddlers
keys 1234
keps 5678
Schooners
wasd. tfgh.ijkl

Please confirm if it downloads run OK.
If using the paddle-steamers the collision box is now much larger by creating the covers for the wheels. It won’t work properly without them.
If any problems with the paddlers I will delete them and keep to sail.

Refer to my site for further additons to the downloads as and when available. I will keep the forum for queries and replies for relevant discussion.
Critique definitely not required.
Any of my content must not be used for sale!
Links fixed to index page on blog pages 1 and 2
Click B at side of BA postS for site
Paddle Steamer not worth the effort juggling with the settings due to flickering so will remove them and keep to a variety of sail. B

I managed to reduce the flickering of the rotating paddle-wheel by altering the casing around them.
Without discussion it is a waste of my time posting so best plan is refer to my site for available discussion and as mantioned I will reply to queries and discussion here. I won’t reply to ‘critique’, as that is not what my site iis about.

I am working throiugh the 32 routes adding and adjusting bits and pieces.

B

Rather than critique if you feel you could make the routes with more realism work on one of my actual routes.
Any alterations would need to keep frame rates low. They must run with 2.79b not upbge. This is because they are for others to download and run without problems. There is a link on my site to download 2.79b

Also by this method if I can include you ideas thay would be for others and not just for yourself. You would need to work on one of my actual routes with your ideas and then make screenshots of your ideas for the routes.

Then if I think usable I could try you idea in the routes.
Ideas or critique on their own are of no use to me unless tested in one of my actual routes. Simulations are not the same as art work.

Paddle-Steamer waiting for the dock gates to open.
Took me a while to get the paddles to rotate as had to add the casing around paddles to keep the lot within collision box.
I might upload updated Silloth today. Gates open with O now and not 1.

Ladders added to docks and jetty.
Also enabled again rescue crewman scenario from Sailing-flat run aground.

B

continued

02 Silloth available for dowload and the solway annan route.
Refer to my site as regards further downloads, as and when available.
Post on this thread if any queries and or dscussion as detailed in the previous post. Also seperate pages for route descriptions and mini-screenshots. 2 routes updated and 30 more to update at the time of writing.

Enjoy your sailing.

B
P.S. removed silloth as need to remove the bits and pieces of the sail. I will leave the jib sail off the paddlers. I will re-ipload the route when faults corrected

01solway, 02silloth back online for download.

I will move on to route 3. As mentioned you will need to check my site as regards further available downloads and updates !
The area of the 32 routes is from the Solway Firth Scotland down to the the tip of England at Lands End.

However I am selecting half of these From Solway Firth around to Barmouth North Wales about 16 routes.

I am thinking about putting 16 on-line as many of them are basic version 1 with one drivable vessel and probbaly merged plian colour textures. These then will be worked on at a leisurely hobby rate of progress. Updates will be uploaded for download. Although they follow around the coastline in consecutive order it is not practical to keep to a specific era of say up to 1825. So the era will simply be whatever harbours I put into them. Docks, ports and harbours were continually altering also the size of ships, sail to paddle-steamers, to coal fired steam-ships, then diesel screw drive. As my site relates to the the past ages I won’t be inlcuding modern ships. If the size of the updates gradually increases and starts to affect frame rates I will split maritime routes into blocks of 8.

Not for commercial use !
Critique definitely not wanted and will be ignored !

Discussion queries etc, are of course welcome and all as previously detailed. 2 now online updated and will probably start to put online another 14 or so to make 16 or so. I removed the full Isle of Man.

B

10 online. As they are for others to download perhaps confirm, if you download any whether they download/run OK. B.

P.S. Might leave the other 6 until I check and work through them, then half the total of 16 and rotate 2 groups of eight.

To give more flexibilty and not tied to a time schedule I will try the following from my site.

B

Download should be avaiilable for the active links
If updated I will remove the route and replace with the updated and redated route.

Also I will probably leave available from the route date for a couple of weeks before possibly replacing with others new routes. If Updates they will just update the active route already listed and I will redate them.

24/05/2019

16 routes onlline. The other batch of 15 I will keep in reserve. The first 16 start from Scotland around to Barmouth North Wales. The second batch of 15 continue around the coastline to Lands’End.

Considering the minimal interest on these forums I will keep the 2nd group in reserve for perhaps a much later date. I think that will best.

If there are any other simulations (free) for download on these forums perhaps you could give details and the link. I will probbaly look in on these forums from time to time to see if there are any queries or discussion (not critique).

B

Details of available routes for download (if any) are listed on my site from now on.

B

Time for me to forget coastal UK and return to the river Mersey, and surrounding areas maybe.

To make a maritime simulation you would need a suitable game engine and not Blender. There arn’t any as far as I know if making route downloads available for others.

Most of my previous posts are now no longer applicable. So for now there will just be the river Mersey, early 19th century maybe.

I will remove all routes for now and make a start on a single route of the river Mersey which will basic version 1. which I will put online shortly and there will be just one route to download with updates from time to time if and when available !

B

Area will be Rivers Wyre and Ribble around to Barmouth North Wales as that is the main area that interests me. I will be putting the routes back online with updates over a period of time.

Regard all my other posts as experments in route making.

An imporant factor is though, which seems to be lacking on these forums. Feedback on whether the routes download and install OK. I have no way of knowing unless you tell me. If you don’t tell me not much point in leaving them online for others! I an not referring to critique which is of no use to me for what I make. Discussion and queries of course are fine.

B

16 back on line for download.
These will be updated in a leisurely ongoing process over a period of time.
Please confirm if downloads OK.
Some might be offline when updating, etc.
You need not confirm every one, 1 or a few will do, but helpful to know if they are downloading and loading.

B

I have to keep adapting to this Blender as basic Blender has a wealth of functions for creating simulations for making interactive simulations.

In my opinion UPBGE should have been included in BGE as then regarding dowloads people could easiliy download the program and have access to working on the routes with a range of functions. All the software easiliy downloadlable from the Blender main site.

Has anyone ever made any serious simulations with the old Blender. Road, see, air, villages, towns, etc.

I will continue to use basic Blender as there are still numerous functions in it I have not explored. T

The real world is what interests me, past ages to the present day all of which can be made with BGE if all the functions were explored. The only restriction in using my routes is they must not be used for commercail use!

So adapting to the response to my posts I am now going to leave a varying 7 online for download. Routes are based on satellite data and OpenStreetMap for the terrain and coast. Era will be very early 19th Century.

Routes from now on will start from basic with probably numerous updates. There are 4 different craft which I may start to include in each route. small single mast gaff-rig sloop, sailing flat (barge with sail), schooner two masts, very early basic paddle steamer.

I think as regards these routes generating any interest on these forums is a lost cause. As the routes are also for others to download it must be simple to downlad Blender, so for now it is easiset to download from the main Blender site.
Should this option be withdrawn for any reason time for me then to forget Blender (As the current 2.8 version seems totally unsuitable to try and make routes using srtm2 data etc).

B