Memories - Yum Cha

Bittersweet childhood memories of Yum Cha in Hong Kong.

The steamer carts are now all but extinct, replaced by the cold and mechanical “checkbox menus”.

I can almost hear the ambience of people talking way louder than they need to… :hear_no_evil:

A couple of things I had to work around when using GeoNodes in conjunction with randomness in shaders.

• Not sure if it’s just me, but using the “Instance on Points > Selection”, I would lose the randomness on the shader

• The cast + boolean ops on the lid weave lose the randomness per little weave, the hack is to preserve a random ID using Capture Attribute which you then reference in the shader - awesome trick.

I couldn’t work out which of the following would slow my shader editor to a crawl, if someone could give me tips on that, that’d be great:

• Using 4D > (random) W on any of the nodes (eg Voronoi)
  • Displacement node

Anyways, I know it’s a rather niche topic to post here, but for what it’s worth:

13 Likes

Nice renders! I really feel the old asian vibes in the air and that’s what it’s all about! :joy:
Seriously though, love the atmosphere, the warmth, there really is something about Chinese restaurants…
The way you depicted people as well. (kinda reminds me of a family animation tv)
Reminds me of the times I went to those places!

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by.

Yes, stereotypical as it is, the “less than pristine” conditions is actually what I remember most about them too :smiley:
Back then, I had an iron gut, never had a stomach ache no matter how dingy the food was… now, we panic if it’s been out of the fridge for 20 mins :rofl:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks, so humbled when I see the calibre of work that makes it to the list each week!