MESHmachine

Well, I do think so.

1. The part of the code you have in the error doesn’t exist in 0.7.2 anymore, not as it is shown.
  2. The about page of the prefs doesn’t even look like what you have shown anymore.

https://machin3.io/MESHmachine/docs/faq/#get-support

Thank you, clean reinstall helped.

How do you go about selecting verts, edges and faces in edit mode, when using MESHmachine? (I’ve watched 39 of 48 documentation videos now but haven’t found anywhere where this is being addressed. Do I need to remap the 1,2,3 keys or does MESHmachine have some kind of alternative mapping built in?)

MESHmachine does not interfere with basic mesh selection, hence why it’s not addressed anywhere.

Why would you need to remap the 1,2,3 keys? What exactly is your problem?

Sorry, I just found out that this should be a MACHIN3tools question rather, so I’m redirecting my question to that thread instead.

Hi blenders :slight_smile:
does anyone know how to change the displayed precision?

I’m adjusting the chamfer width on hundreds of objects and I need 4 decimals on the meter (10th of a mm) and no, I do not want to scale all objects back and forth :smiley:

Also, is it possible to display the chamfers’ average width too, ie. not only the delta?

edit: grammar and more clear explanation.

Not possible I’m afraid.

When I have to deal with bevels on small objects, I usually temporarily change the unit scale value in the scene properties. It’s a global setting so you don’t have to scale the objects.

This should not have any effect on MESHmachine’s tools.

I just tried and you are right :roll_eyes:

It also shouldn’t be required to work on very small or very big meshes. It should just work the same.

1 Like

Thank you guys for such quick answers.
And I will def. try the Scene.Units.UnitScale thing :slight_smile:

How well does this work for making support/control edges for high polys? The Offset cut thing looks super useful for that possibly, but I’m not sure how well it would work. I’m not that experienced with Blender for high poly models and all that, so please try to grant me some leniency.

If you are thinking subd modeling, then it’s probably not very useful for that, because it tends to create ngons.
If you are thinking korean bevels, so support loops purely to force fillet-like shading, then it works well enough for that, and I use it all the time in cases where two bevels with irregular segments meet or after boolean operations. Does still require additional cleanup though.

Offset Cut Korean Bevel examples:

3 Likes

This might be what I need yes. I usually make the support edges and everything and then apply the subdivision modifier. I bake them to use on textures of a low poly model, since I’m a game dev you see.

Let me emphasize again, that I DON’T think it’s a good use case for subd modelling. The examples I have shown is shading without adding a subdivision mod.

1 Like

Alright. Drat, was really hoping this would help me with my support edge woes. I guess I’ll keep my eyes out for something that can do what I want/need. Thank you though.

Interesingly, the Korean Bevel workflow(non-subd) is perfect for game assets, and is what I use it for.

I know. It’s close. But the issue is I still need to make high poly, using subdivision, to bake to the low poly. I would say in my opinion, I didn’t have problems making low polys, if it all. It’s the subdivision when making high polys is the problem, and making sure the edges are slightly softened where they’re perfect sharp otherwise on the low poly.

FWIW, this workflow allows you to directly build the low/medium poly and skips the high poly creation for bake purposes. It’s my preferred workflow these days. Can’t be bothered to waste time on highpoly + baking.

1 Like