Modo-Me, Modo like action centers in Blender, Smart Action Centers and Axis Management

Hi there! Thanks for the quick reply - just a heads up to let you know I just got it working. It wasn’t adding properly via the preferences > addon install for me…but when I copied the Modo-Me directory to the 2.80/scripts/addons directory it finally showed up in the addons list. I was able to activate it and bind it.

I really like the addon! I have it bound to ctrl-alt-spacebar. Having ‘selection’ action-center is crucial to me coming from modo and this works great. I love how customizable blender is. Between this addon and the qwer translation addon I’m really getting the interface to a place that I can start to explore the rest of what blender has to offer. Really enjoying it so far.

I realize things may break with this addon as 2.8 is in active development but I’ll keep testing with newer versions. I’m currently using Blender 2.8 dated 2019-05-11. Thanks for your hard work!

1 Like

Hi

I am glad that it worked out in the end. And I am happy to hear that you are enjoying it.

There are certain limitations of this add-on due to Blender API and how things are laid out in Blender, compared to the Modo’s own original implementation of centers and axis. However I tried to make it as similar as possible.

2 Likes

Wow this is huuuuuuuge. I was literally looking thru BA for something like this and I found your Post. I will definitely be purchasing.

I find that I get this error when trying to use the Custom pivot on a mesh. Latest nightly 2.80, latest Modo-Me.

Hi

I will take a look it later. As you know the API changes quite a bit, and this add-on is the one got hit the most because the areas this add-on handles are subject to in constant changes by the Blender devs.

It seems like the temporary center object is not created properly, we will see. It should be easy to fix.

Do you have issues with other action center stuff?

Great to hear, please let me know if you have any questions about it.

Nope! That’s the only one that gives me an error.

Thanks again! I love your add-ons. :slight_smile:

Awesome to hear that. I will make a fix release as soon as possible.

Do you use the custom center a lot? I actually want to add more custom centers, so one can have any template locations.

I don’t - usually I use the Automatic or the Selection Object Axis. But every so often I have need of the Custom for objects where I need the mesh pivot to be at the center of the mesh but at the very bottom (for example, trees or houses or anything that sits on the ground where you would delete the faces that won’t ever be seen so there’s nothing to snap to).

Thanks, that is good to know. I am still working out on how to handle location templates. Meanwhile I determined the issue with the custom action center error you had, which I was able to replicate here. It seems like a paramater for empty creation processed has changed. I will make a release tomorrow.

thanks

Hi

I just pushed a new version that fixes the custom location issue. Let me know if you still have issues with it.

1 Like

Hi there,

just got the add-on since I recently migrated from Modo (week or so…). As a matter of fact I still will have to use Modo at my work perhaps.
So I was wondering how the automatic pivot placement should work here in Blender 2.8? I use left click selection but cant seem to relocate the pivot with RMB-click…? What am I missing?
Cheers

Hi

Thanks for getting the addon.

I will download the latest version of Blender 2.80 and see if any recent behavior change there. I will reply back about it later.

Hi,

Can you try Shift+Right Click to place the center?

That works, yes!! Great, the rest seems to work just fine. Makes my transition a bit less painful, thank you for your effort!

Great to hear. The add-on cant map everything from Modo 1-2-1 but I tried to make it similar at least.

It would be awesome if you could star the add-on at the store if you like it and find it valuable.

Best

1 Like

Does the 2.8 addon have a workplane option or are there other addons that have this?

1 Like

but not for 2.8

2 Likes

Hi

Workplane is in the todo list atm. I am thinking to work on it once 2.80 is officially out.

2 Likes

element action center doesn’t seem to work like modo? For example In Modo I can pick a edge, select element action center and left click to reference another edge. I can’t seem to reproduce this with this addon. I’m using Left click select.

Also the cursor action center seems to set to global orientation instead of cursor orientation, is this intentional or a bug?