Modo-Me, Modo like action centers in Blender, Smart Action Centers and Axis Management

Hi

I will make a new icon for it, hopefully that would solve it, other than that some of these UI issues are more to do with the Blender itself. For instance I can either append (last in the header) or prepend (first in the header)

In any case I will try to make sure it looks nicer next time.

3 Likes

Can You make option to disable Toolbar Header menu?

Sure, I will take a look at it.

Just a heads up about 2.81 alpha builds. Modo-Me is not working in 2.81 alpha as of now. Please stick to release or 2.80 builds if Modo-me is important to your workflow.

It also sounds like the whatever is happening with 2.81 API is affecting some of the add-ons by other developers.

1 Like

Hi

Here is what will be in the next Modo-Me release, centering to the bounding box areas.

7 Likes

Bless you !
Just need some workplane loveā€¦

1 Like

I have actually started looking into it, I wish to implement it but no promise at all. The drawing API changed in 2.80 and up so it will take some time. If I can find a middle ground solution I will definetely get it going.

3 Likes

Hi

V1.52 is up with

#1.52

• [NEW] Placing the action center to the sides of the objectā€™s bounding box.
  • [NEW] Enable disable the header menu drop down via preferences (@Pinhead) .
  • [FIX] Better Pivot mode handling in Edit mode.
  • [TESTING] Blender 2.81 Nightly compatibility.
  • [! IMPORTANT !] The operator name has changed. Please see the screenshot for the release for the new settings to invoke.

Please see the first post for the new images and demos. Do not forget to change to the new keymap!

4 Likes

It is possible to set Action Center to 'Selected" edge. Go to eobject mode and when using 'Move" move objectg along this selected edge?

https://imgur.com/gallery/eginBmA

Hi

That should be possible to do it they way you are looking for if I understood it properly , it is just that the user has to have an edge selected already. I am adding this to my todo. I can try to make it fancier later.

For me and im sure for many other this feature will be very usefull

1 Like

Here is a new feature in the upcoming version, the component mode which is based on Pinheadā€™s request.

You can transform the object based on the active components averaged normals/positions from the Edit mode.

Naturally to proove that it is not a pipe dream, see the vide below.

4 Likes

There is a new version with the component mode. See the video below.

• [NEW] Component mode lets you set custom axis and center based on the selected faces/edges/vertices. It will toggle back to the Object.

• [NEW] Predefined shortcurt for alt-W

4 Likes

Hello.
I want to thank you for this add-on, It very helps for people to migrate from modo.

For the best usability I can recommend for you some improvements:

1. Add ā€œNoneā€ - that disable action center, because it always try to activate gizmo on select something.
  2. Add check box on what AC is selected (as in modo, if it posible)
    Modo_AC
  3. I donā€™t know how the others, but the most frequently used by me is ā€œElementā€ and ā€œLocalā€ and the same with additional option Auto Axis. May be you can add this as on my screen or add check box some where on the bottom that turn on/off Auto Axis option.
  4. And one more thing that can improve usability is add selection of frequently used action centers in Add-on preferences. Like this:
2 Likes

Hi

There are certain workflow differences between Modo and Blender so some stuff cant be translated one to one. I think None is around that area. You can select the Element Edit at the bottom to turn the item click select mode for now which disables the Gizmo.

I will take a look at the other suggestion and see if I can add them later. They sound doable but I need to see how much work they do require.

Btw you can use shortcuts access when the menu is up, see the letters with underscores.

2 Likes

Hi

I am refactoring the menu with couple of new functionalities. I am taking the path I used with my Originie add-on with the menu system which is (pie menu + menu)/2

The reason why I am not making it a regular pie menu is that the pie menu in Blender as is has a 8 items limitations, so that is not going to work for this add-on.

Would you prefer the main menu on the right side or the left side? See the image.

ā€œGizmo Always Enabledā€ weird behavior. Affect globally?
Explanation:

1. After launch a blender itā€™s all ok with gizmos (did not use any Action Centers)
    AC1
  2. Then use AC without activate ā€œGizmo Always Enabledā€. Seems all ok too.
    AC2
  3. But when I activate ā€œGizmo Always Enabledā€ and after I use ā€œElement Editā€ all gizmos disappear globally.
    Then I activate AC again and they show up, but after this when I select anything it show Transform gizmo.
    AC3
  4. Next I tried to disable ā€œGizmo Always Enabledā€ and use ā€œElement ACā€, gizmos are still visible
    but after using ā€œElement Editā€ it all disappear globally again and this time to enable blender gizmos I need to activate ā€œGizmo Always Enabledā€ and use some AC. And that brings us back to point 3.
  5. Even if I disable addon, it still use last selected AC settings and Transform Orientations not affected gizmo until restart program.
    AC4

Whatā€™s my point in this situation:

1. Element Edit and Element Edit Falloff need to remove because it confusing users (me for sure).
  2. If ā€œGizmo Always Enabledā€ is active and you select something, then click on some AC, the gismo should appear, but not before activation.
  3. If ā€œGizmo Always Enabledā€ is not active and you select something, then click on some AC, the gismo not appear, but you can use blender bar gizmos to manipulate.
  4. Need some button that resets gizmo to the state how it look when you just launch the blender.

I know itā€™s very difficult to code and can be a little annoying when someone says something needs to be changed, but all this for best usability and more intuitive use.

Hi

Gizmo stuff went through multiple iterations with the 2.80 development, I added that sometime during the 2.80 beta I believe, so I implemented that in that way to make sure the gizmo was really disabled.

In any case I have been working on making it the right way actually, as you can see in my previous post (the one before yours) there is an actual gizmo toggle.

2 Likes

Hi,

I just released a new beta version of 1.54. It is available on Gumroad and Blendermarket. This version is the first step organizing the menu and tightening the usage issues. I am hoping to move forward with making some of the operations more intuitive.

#1.54

• [NEW] New menu order based on pie menu structure
  • [NEW] Dedicated transform Gizmo toggling

54_Menu_WEB

I am also offering %50 discount for Modo-Me and Originie to first 8 Blenderheads who contact me. Just message me privately. I will send you the discount codes. This offer is only available on Gumrod.

3 Likes

I also saw an issue or was confusing to
Me as well. When enabling or using a modoMe option , and then I couldnā€™t use the default gizmo again or not in the way Iā€™m used to. It stopped responding to changing transform types such as global or normal / etc. Sounds like maybe this update solves that? :thinking: