MODS-12 (Mobile Oxygen Delivery System)

Don’t be alarmed- he’s very friendly, just wants to share some oxygen :slight_smile:

After seeing someone else’s incredible “my work after 100 days in blender”, I’ve realized I need to stop faffing around, buckle down, and just make something every single day. This is what I made today, on day 1. Rendered in Eevee, with very slight post processing in Affinity Photo. Modeled and textured everything myself

27 Likes

He can share his oxygen with me any time. (Now my inner geek is wondering how much oxygen a tree actually produces in a day.) (My inner geek isn’t all that “inner”, really.)

And yay for trying to make something every day! It doesn’t have to be anything big or otherwise really demanding (in fact it’s probably best if it’s not, or this can become a chore), just the act of practicing something one wants to improve is what counts.

3 Likes

I don’t think most plants produce a ton of oxygen. It’s one of the larger obstacles to idea of interplanetary travel- we simply don’t have the systems to prolong life off planet yet. I’m sure someday :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that you were my other big inspiration here! I’ve been incredibly inspired by your sketchbook, and your highly methodical approach to it. I was originally planning on doing the same thing, but truth be told, I don’t need to learn Blender, I need to make art :wink: you know as well as anyone that I need the technical details of blender but my art ability is lacking. I struggle a lot with imposter syndrome and most of my art never gets finished, I think this is going to be good for me :slight_smile:

Thanks for commenting!

2 Likes

Nice cartoon-ish look! Is that only shading inside blender?

1 Like

Yay, the newbie sketchbook is a magical motivator! That pleases me. :blush:

I hear you about imposter syndrome. That stopped me for years from doing anything artistic. I am looking forward to you fighting back against that inner critic; I’ll be cheering you on.

2 Likes

Yep :slight_smile: I’ve been working for a long time trying to figure out how to make 3D look like 2D, and I think I’m getting close. The shading is fairly simple- I’m mixing the texture coordinates with a noise texture, the mix factor set to soft light. I use that as a vector for a diffuse or glossy shader. Put that into a shader to RGB, plug that into a color ramp set to ease with stops very close together. Mix this colored result with noise- again, with soft light- and add line art. I cranked up the bloom and added a diffuse glow in post processing.

2 Likes

I’m delighted to hear that, thank you for your support :slight_smile: having people cheering you on really helps with the impostor syndrome, so I appreciate it

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your ideas! And I remember you’ve made a breakdown once… but I guess your workflow improved since…?
Cheers Hank

1 Like

I like to think it’s always improving- at the least, I’m always trying to improve it :slight_smile:
Here are the two main-ish shaders (each object has unique colors, but the general idea stays the same)

4 Likes

:star_struck: I will try that asap!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

thank you sir :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations, this work has been nominated for the ‘Best of Blender Artists 2022’ award in the #npr category! You can vote for it here.

1 Like