Modular Tree

He’s probably using the shader editor for it. There’s no reason to use geonodes for a bark texture, unless you just really want to get ridiculous.

I made a really quick and dirty bark texture in just a few minutes by mixing together a wave, noise, and voronoi texture for the bump, attached it to a color ramp for the colors, then added an AO node, and an extra musgrave texture for some added highlights in the bark.

5 Likes

Excelllent, result is very convaincing !
but how line behavior in angle ? Are they follow the shape of the tree ?

Can you put a screenshot showing the material node arrangment in its totality please?

1 Like

Sure thing. Keep in mind that it’s not the most realistic texture in the world, but it looks alright in a pinch.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for it, ah you are very smart mister.
We can have also lot of variation (horizontal line and so on) with this material and it’s enough for lot of bark.

1 Like

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Alguem pode me ajudar? BR!

@Maxime

I think you are using an old version of the addon

Out of curiosity, when do you think we’ll see a trunk split node? I tried making an oak tree today, and realized it’d be a massive help if I had one handy.

1 Like

An attempt to recreate these trees I found here…

https://maxtree.org/product-category/free/

I can get shockingly close. After playing around with it, there are a few things I’d love to see in the next version of Mtree:

1: Split trunk, and a way to randomize the shape more specifically on the trunk. That way, I can get that nice, branchlike fork at the top of the tree.

2: A way to jitter the geometry along the length of a branch. Somewhat like randomize, but it doesn’t effect the direction of the branch quite so much.

14 Likes

Merry Christmas mates!
I am new to blender and use v.3. I installed modular tree v2.8 and it works charmingly, but when I use the latest version it seems that it only create tree and branches and not twigs or leaves. Do you mind describing what is wrong, please?
Thank you, Maxime!

The trees also make great plants!

:upside_down_face:

12 Likes

The oldschool style twin generator isn’t implemented in 4.0 yet, though I think Maxime said he has plans to add it back in at some point in the not too distant future.

Though for the time being, you can make your own, and plug them into the geometry node setup that’s generated when you hit the Add Leaves button.

1 Like

Thank you Renzatic!! Wow, now it worked. But still, I have no idea how to change the twigs with mine. I modeled a simple plane just to test, but do not know how may I replace it with the default one. Here is the screenshot.

It’s fairly simple to do. Select your tree, go over to your modifiers tab, look for the Twig Object entry, and point it towards your plane.

ReplaceTwig

2 Likes

Thank you again Renzatic!
The result is so crazy!

, Herer is a partial render, How may I add more color variation to the leaves? as it was available in v.2.8…

3 Likes

The easiest way to do it would be to hop into the geo node editor, change the Point Instance node near the end of the tree from Object, to Collection, then reattach it to the Output node on the bottom.

Once that’s done, create a new Collection, and stuff your leaves in it. Duplicate your leaves a couple of times, then hop into the shader editor, make your materials standalone, attach your diffuse texture to Hue/Saturation node, and tweak it to taste.

2 Likes

Thank you mate, thanks for sharing this tip. I installed the previous version on Blender v2.8, created several diverse versions of the same twigs, and copied/pasted them in the most recent version…

1 Like

Here there is a Winter scene I made as a Christmas wishes postcard, using MT, in a Blender related Facebook group. It is made by the use of the older version of the add-on. The new one is better as to trunk and branches creation function but the old one too is very powerful.

The snowflakes are made in Krita.

9 Likes

I’m experimenting with geo-node driven twig generation, here is a sneak peek:

31 Likes