Multi-user

On the gitlab page the files seem to be 3 months out of date, i had some issues with it not working but i think they are already in your bug tracker, do you have a eta on when a new patch will be done?

Hi !
I’m planning to deliver a new release as soon I finish with this critical issue (this week).
I already made some fixes but in the develop branch which will be merged in master as soon as the release will be published :wink:
Until the release you can already get all those new feature and fixes by directly download the develop branch as a zip file, extract it and copy the multi-user sub folder into your add-on directory.

This release will include a lot of new things such as:

• Performance improvements (x2 for serialization)
  • Animation features support (alpha)
  • Snap to user timeline tool
  • Dedicated server architecture
  • Better session management (auto-deconnection, ping, non-blocking connection,…)
  • Lightprobes, Metaballs, Armatures(alpha) supports
  • Various bug fixes(listed in gitlab)
  • Online documentation
  • Impoved Undo handling

After that release I’ll focus on:

• event-driven update calls.
  • Multi-scene workflow support
  • Mesh Cache, Particle, Physic and VSE support
  • Layered right management
  • Differential updates

I’m also open to every ideas, suggestion, patches, etc. :wink:

7 Likes

hey @slumber

i managed to setup Zerotier for a workflow over the internet but I don’t understand how to enable blender to work with Zerotier? When I have setup Zerotier, how do I then work with Blender and the Multi-user addon? What is my IP/Port and how do I setup this through Zerotier?

All the best,
:slight_smile:

We managed to get online now but now we can’t see the meshes the other person adds, we can only see our own meshes that we add :frowning:

hi @philipphilipphilip,
This error could have different origins:

1. One of the 4 ports could be blocked by Zerotier, preventing the add-on to communicate correctly. You could try to launch the session on a different port (higher than the default one)
  2. A wrong address could be set into the host (this is a UI bug). On the hosting blender, go to the connect pannel and set the address to your public ip (the one used by other users to join you) then go back to the host pannel and launch the session :wink:

I hope this will help you, feel free to ask me any questions.

Hi !
Thanks to this amazing community support I was able to progress on the development :slight_smile:
I just published a new version, it can be downloaded here.

In addition to fixes and refactoring it includes:

• Blender animation features support (alpha).
  • Light probes support (only 2.83).
  • Metaballs support.
  • Improved modifiers support.
  • Online documentation.
  • Improved overall session handling.
  • UI revamp.

More details can be found in the changelogs.
Feel free to participate in any way such as feedback’s, use cases, bugs, patches.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! The issue still exists that we cannot see what the other user adds in the document, for example - if I add a mesh, the other user on the server can’t see that mesh. We can only see what we add, even though we click out the “see only owned” :frowning:

IT WORKS WITH THE NEW RELEASE! AMAZING!:slight_smile: Although now we can’t seem to host a new session, neither an “empty” one or starting from a previous file. We get a repeated message of “ZMQerror address already in use” :frowning:

Hi @philipphilipphilip !
This could happen in two cases:

1. The background server/client as experienced a crash and is not properly closed. In this case you should check if a blender is running in background and kill it from the tasks manager.
  2. There is more than one client on the same computer. Here you should try to change the IPC Port (higher than the default one) in order to avoid multi-instance connection conflicts :wink:

I’ll try to write a FAQ page about all known problems on the doc this week to help.

Hi !
I just created a discord server to speak about any subjects related to the addon.
Feel free to join here: https://discord.gg/q94EGd8.
A quick update about the current development state of the 0.0.3:

• :ballot_box_with_check: Auto updater support
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Multi-scene workflow support
  • :ballot_box_with_check: Store preference in userperf
  • :white_large_square: Particle support [ongoing]
  • :white_large_square: Differential revisions [ongoing]
  • :white_large_square: Support grease pencil refator API changes (2.83)
3 Likes

The invite to the discord has expired, could you send another?

1 Like

i wanted to give feedback. i saw heard about this addon logn time ago but have forgotten it . but yesterday i tryed with friend and it looks like MOST CRAZY (AMAZING) BEST ADDON EVER !!!
i mean to be able to create things same time is completely different creation experience…

i really not joking, this is “game changer” feature for creating 3D…

the only bad was it took us many hours to get it running and strangely i can host but my friend cant join. but i was able to join his session : )
we did it with zerotier network

it really would be incredible if there would be lobby system… and easier to setup…

i think really now this is most important addon ever made for blender !!!

thanks super much for this
please dont give up this addon NEVER : )

1 Like

Can this work with text editor and coding as well?

That would be neat.
What do you think @tin2tin ?

Thanks for your awesome feedback @mushroomeo !
I will try to improve the setup as much as I can(feel free to suggest any idea on discord or GitLab), the next version is a first step in this direction with first iteration of the dedicated server :slight_smile:
Concerning the lobby system, I planned to make a prototype for mid-term (around September-October).

@Albertofx The text editor replication isn’t supported yet but its also planned for mid-term :slight_smile:

are you the only one developers who is coding this? well

thats amazing news thanks much, cant wait : )

Until now, I am the principal dev on the project, but I am open to contributions !
I would be very happy to accept code, code review, documentation, bug reports :slight_smile:

i wish i could code… i wanted help by reporting bugs but i looked through all the reports i saw they was already there which i discovered myself. so i think i have to wait till fixed the most important.
please tell me how else i could help. i really want as fast as possible be this addon flawless working. maybe the addon compatibility list ? but which ones?
that comes with blender first maybe?

@mushroomeo sorry for the response delay :stuck_out_tongue:
There are various ways to be involved to speed up the dev process without coding :):

• Writing documentation chapters (Known issues, guidelines, etc)
  • Issue management and triaging on Gitlab
  • Bug reports

Thank you for your interest and your help :slight_smile: