(☠ Retired) Neltulz - Edge Curve Plus 1.0.7 - Blender 2.8+

2022-04-07 - I haven’t done anything with Blender for well over a year now, and I don’t know if I’ll be coming back to edit any of these add-ons any time soon. The functionality in many of my add-ons is probably broken now, and I have no plans to fix them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Blender Addon that allows you to quickly insert edge loops with flow.

How to use: Select an edge and press ALT+SHIFT+E, or use the “Edge Curve Plus” Side Panel

Download2

Download from Github

Backup Links:

Download from Dropbox

(Also requires EdgeFlow addon)

Please report any bugs here! :slight_smile:

Check out my other add-ons

Quick SubD - A quick way to subdivide single or multiple objects in your scene for spotting problems.
Smart Frame - Quickly frame selection, isolate selection, and display objects as templates
Smart Object - Coming Soon
Smart Sharpen - Automatically sharpen/soften a selection based on edge angle.
Symmetry - Slice, cut, or mirror a mesh object easily.

13 Likes

As per our discussion, Neil. Here is the error.

Edgeflow 04 is installed and enabled ans as you can see everything is working fine except this error keeps popping up: when the tool is first used, and every time I change a parameter in the modal box.

Also, feature request: is there any way to make this tool live like Swiftloop in Max? It is a feature sorely missing from Blender.

3 Likes

Edgeflow 04 is installed and enabled ans as you can see everything is working fine except this error keeps popping up: when the tool is first used, and every time I change a parameter in the modal box.

Thanks for posting an image of the bug.

I installed a clean portable version of Blender 2.8.0 64bit on Windows 10 pro 64bit. I then, created a folder called “config” so that addons get installed into the portable folder, and do not use the Application data folder.

It looks like this for me: S:\ProgramFiles\Blender_2-8-0_(2019-09-01)_IndustryStandard\2.80\config

Upon running blender.exe I chose the Industry Compatible keymap preset, then installed the EdgeFlow.zip from within Blender. Then, I installed the new version 1.0.3 of my Edge Curve Addon] within Blender.

With a nearly completely fresh install of Blender 2.8.0, I’m not able to reproduce the bug shown above with the EdgeFlow addon not being able to be found.

Please ensure the EdgeFlow is enabled in your addons list as shown here:

2019-09-01_04-44-49

Can you download the new Edge Curve Plus zip file (link above) and then install EdgeFlow.zip, and then my addon next from within Blender?

I’m not sure how you’re installing the addon, so just to make sure we’re on the same page, make sure you install it using this button:

Also, because my previous addon was installing incorrectly, it may have been putting the files in the root folder of your addons folder. I apologize about that. Please make sure you remove any of those if they’re hanging around in the root folder:

2019-09-01_05-00-21

Also, feature request: is there any way to make this tool live like Swiftloop in Max? It is a feature sorely missing from Blender.

I would love to, but I’m still pretty amateurish with Python, so I’m not sure if I can accomplish this. Also, Edge Curve Plus is intended to operate on multiple edges, so being able to insert the edge at an off-center location isn’t what this addon intends to do. It merely intends to insert a loop at exactly 50% (middle) and then apply an edge flow to the edge loop, and then repeat this on however many edges you have selected when running the operator.

As a Maya user, I too prefer the live preview. The standard loopcut feature in blender will let you place the edge, and then drag to slide it, but it lacks the edge flow functionality.

I stumbled onto this. I noticed it has some kind of realtime preview when inserting edge loops. I have not tested this yet. PolyQuilt addon for Blender 2.8

Isn’t that just the Loop Cut and Slide tool?

No. LC&S always starts in the middle of an edge and you have to drag it into position. Swiftloop creates and edgeloop where you click. Big difference.

1 Like

Nice quick workflow. One quirk… if you use the hotkey it does not use the settings from the n-panel, or even the last used hotkey settings, it returns to tension 180 iterations 1 etc.

Nice quick workflow. One quirk… if you use the hotkey it does not use the settings from the n-panel, or even the last used hotkey settings, it returns to tension 180 iterations 1 etc.

Yes, that’s by design. You can modify the keymap by clicking the X’s next to each property to get the behavior you want:

Do you recommend I make this the default behavior of the hotkey?

I didn’t realize you had customizable parameters exposed in the keymap editor. Nice.

As long as I can set my own, I don’t have any strong opinions on the defaults, they are probably fine as they are.

Hey Neil, I reset my Blender 2.80 to factory, installed the latest EdgeFlow and Edge Curve. Same error?

I downloaded this addon this morning. I am going to download more of your addons by Friday and I will pay something then.Thanks

I got the same error as you but then I removed Edge Flow, redownload the latest of it, and reinstalled it. Works fine now.

Weird. I did the same. I even zipped my config/startup .blend and reset to factory and installed latest of both addons and still the error?

Hey Neil, I reset my Blender 2.80 to factory, installed the latest EdgeFlow and Edge Curve. Same error?

Weird. I did the same. I even zipped my config/startup .blend and reset to factory and installed latest of both addons and still the error?

Which OS are you using? I may try some other method of detection.

A simple “try / except” should honestly suffice… but I won’t know until I try it…

Currently I am relying on addonutils.py and I have no clue how reliable this is for addon detection, or perhaps I am doing something wrong with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry you’re not able to get this working. I want to figure this out.

If you are willing, would you like to record a video of your whole process, upload it to youtube so that I can see exactly what’s going on?

Edit: I have removed addon_utils.py and I’ve changed the addon detection method to a simple “try/except”.

Please download the latest version here and give it a try.

Updated addon to v1.0.5:

Demonstration:

Reminder: This add-on requires EdgeFlow v04 or newer. I tested this version with EdgeFlow v05 on a fresh blender install and it works fine.

New sidebar panel:
2019-12-23_07-23-59

Fully expanded:
2019-12-23_07-25-37

Changelog:

• Set default sidebar tab name to “Neltulz” so that all Neltulz related sidebars from various Neltulz add-ons will be organized here.

• Changed operator bl_idnames to improve organization. This may break things if you’ve added operators to any custom pie menus. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Improved sidebar panel significantly. Better use of space.

• Set default iteration count to 4 instead of 1. This provides better results most situations.

3 Likes

Updated add-on to v1.0.6:

New:

• New Compact Popup & Pie Panel
  • Ability to add edges with flow to multiple selected objects

Bug Fixes:

• Unable to perform edge flow if there was no active object when objects were selected
2 Likes

i downloaded and tried both SmartSharpen and EdgeCurve Plus.
i love them both and might try the others later on.

oh, i left a little something in the tip jar for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: It really means a lot to me. I will try to keep updating with my add-ons with improvements and thinking of new add-ons for the blender community.

Hello!
Thank you for the wonderful addons. They actually save time.

Faced with the problem of using the Edge Curve Plus. Now this message appears when you delete any object:

1 Like

Thank you for the bug report. I have released an update:

v1.0.7:

• Fixed bug that would cause an error when there are no objects in the active scene. Fixed in v1.0.7b

v1.0.7b

• Fixed bug that would cause an error when there are no objects in the active scene.

Please download the add-on from one of my backup links, the main download link is currently down. Sorry for that.

1 Like