New 2.8 UI is annoying

Eh, Soup is something of vital importance …
in such situations we could also say: “or drink or drown”.

Gags aside, to me is sad to see that what was weird till 2.79 is still there in 2.8, and what was working fine has changed and messed up.

Defenestration is a classical European passtime.

3 Likes

Yeah, here in Italy they don’t refrain even on summer holyday.

To be fair, they are good soups. Perfect for weddings.

Must be, given that the Romans went out of their way to make a word up specifically for it.

Defenestrare is a composite word that comes from “de” (out) and “finestra” (window), which rhymes with “minestra” (soup), btw.
And now I stop trolling.

3 Likes

mom always told me :joy:

for those who do not understand the meaning, in Italian
soup is minestra
window is finestra
so it is clear that we Italians play a lot with rhymes

on this link there is a beautiful piece of music that delights in explaining Defenestration :joy:

1 Like

Whatever… the old UI was a mess, too. But we all got used to it and there’s a quadzillion tutorials for beginners.

Replacing a mess with a new mess however… There’s no sense in that. How does that help anyone? It’s not like “Blender now looks & feels like Photoshop and 99% of all other Windows apps” - I would in fact hate that, too, but I could understand it. Fishing for new users and such but even that is questionable… Blender is now used in more and more pro studios, I wonder how many of those are happily surprised by the 2.8 UI. And I also question how much more fish are actually in the pond that will now switch to Blender because of the new UI. Hillarious.

I often wonder about the untapped potential of Blender development if there was more constructive feedback, and less whiney bitching… :thinking:

I personally like the direction Blender is going, but I can respect anyone that is willing to take the time to point out issues they see, even if I disagree. What I have zero respect for, are people that just bash it. It helps nothing.

9 Likes

Most of them - the new UI is one of the main reasons they’re adopting it.

7 Likes

It seems like you’re completely unaware of how popular 2.8 is.

You don’t have to like it, of course. But pretending like you’re somehow in the majority is, frankly, embarrassing.

12 Likes

Let’s not forget the $1.2 million grant from Epic Games due to the traction Blender is gaining. (Unless that’s factored into your $85k figure)

1 Like

I think it is included, but it’s still worth pointing out. I just was too lazy to go dig up all the links is all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whilst i dont doubt at all that many studios have Blender on a workstation somewhere, i doubt most Pro studios actually use it in a production environment day to day at all but for a few meanial tasks.

I think thats why the 2.8 UI was concentrated on so much to attract those users from other software and to a degree its working, but it is still a click mess in some areas.

Yes the 2.8 UI makes it a lot more accessible to people from another 3d app and UI, but it still has a long way to go.

They probably need to get someone in who has worked on another 3d app or apps for at least 15 years to come in and look at the UI. I get the feeling that its the same guys doing the UI that did 2.70 and onwards, i might be wrong but looking at the UI in 2.8 i would nhot be surprised at all.

there is work to do, especially polishing, and solve some little things …
but I think that these are all things that will be solved within 2-3 versions …
in blender 2.83 no one will ever again notice the UI inconvenience

… … …
guys, but do you think that in blender 2.81 you will have a brand new, powerful and comfortable outiliner? :grin::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I hope you are totally correct. I want Khaos to work again in 2.8 and the dev has said it probably will not be updated fully until 2.81.

Im just going to put this out there, sort of spitballing a bit.

When some people mention that Blender is going to make serious inroads into the production environment of major studios i would offer some words of caution or should is say advice.

Yes Blender will make some inroads, it is a mature piece of software and its not like it has not been around a long time, so it should be.

Now as far as it dislodgeing the big boys, i will offer my two pence worth. Many people here say oh Maya cant do this or Houdini cant do this or whatever software cant do this. In a mjor production studio of which i have worked for two, Maya, Houdini and whatever does do this and more besides.

Maya, Houdini and others in use in big studios like Framestore or MPC is not the Maya, Houdini or whatever you will get off the shelf so to speak.

Big studios have budgets to employ coders in MelScript, MaxScript, HScript, Python, C++ and whatever to create addons to cover the shortfalls. They have a direct line to AD as well to sort any other issues and indeed in many cases are running betas of their software of choice.

All of this is a time and money investment and they have invested over many years and some decades and this is not really going to change much.

I get the impression some people think that because blender is free that everyone will jump onboard because why not its free, howver to a big studio Maya, Max, Houdini or whatever is also free, they dont pay for it the customer pays for it.

They have pipelines in place that will be very hard to dislodge in the short to medium term. The one area that AD did correctly which is what blender needs to concentrate on is education.

AD made sure that colleges and Universities all had access to Max and Maya, ergo the students learnt these programs and then went out into the world to find jobs. Its always better to have someone who already knows the software you use than to have to train them up.

If blender can make serious inroads into this area then eventually it will have a trickle down effect, where all students looking for jobs have a blender background and then they can lead the way in getting some of the bigger studios to switch.

Blender also needs to look at the producation pipeline, blender is not going to be doing everything, even studios are running Maya, Substance, ZBrush, Houdini, as they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Blender needs to play to its strengths of which it has many, sculpting for example is not one of them. Yes it can have a fork of blender that just does this and thats the strength of blender is its open source nature. However sculpting will be done in ZBrush for some time to come.

Here no one spoke of big boys who easily jump on the wagon, or that blender has reached its peak and has overtaken the others …
It’s just that the problems of the UI, in terms of usability are on the way to maximum resolution within a couple of releases … they have worked hard for over a year, following the advice of the users, they certainly didn’t play with the peanuts …

Though there are the occasional uninformed comments here and there, you’d be surprised at how many of us on this board do have substantial industry experience, and have an understanding of pipelines. I think the main takeaway is not that Blender will become the one app to rule them all, but that it’s being groomed to earn a seat at the table. And that is very much starting to happen. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree that it is right now a pipe dream to expect major studios to switch gears from other softwares to Blender on a whim. As you said, they have lots of in house tools that they built with Maya; Houdini, and other softwares in mind. Even if Blender was fully feature ready with the same performance as the competition, it would still take time and money to write new code to fit their production pipelines as well as allow artists to get used to Blender. Granted, I don’t think it would be too complicated to teach pros how to use the software when the UI and UX are starting to shape up nicely, but it is still something to consider.

That said, as long as artists want to use Blender in production, people will eventually find a way I think. While an entire studio may not build their entire production on Blender at the center, as long as it is not considered a con by the employers to be a 3D artist working in Blender, then that is a victory in of itself. If Blender can be adapted to fitting the rest of the production pipeline, then the stigma around using it for pro work is going to vanish over time.

Places I do think however Blender will dominate in are upstart companies, indie development, and low to mid range companies in the foreseeable future. The likes of Disney and Pixar may not be too concerned with the costs for paying for their 3D software, but many others will mind it, and that’s where Blender likely will score big.

2 Likes

my 2 cents.
Zbrush risks …
their UI is very bad.