New 2.8 UI is annoying

Well not sure, you need to click (make the pen tip touch to tablet) to get anything moving, if you are moving stuff without intention then you are not being careful with your pen tip touching the surface, not accusing but trying to understand your process.

If you move verts accidentally, then you ll move nodes, video strips, bones accidentally too with that mode.

I always used Blender with release confirms, and I have been a Blender user since like 2003 (I do not remember if it had that option back then) and I have been using graphics tablet (only or mostly) for like 22 years. I use Blender only with my tablet. So my tablet is second nature to me, and never have these issues.

Are you a die hard tablet user or an occasional one?

Depending on your tablet model, you can set pen detection distances from your tablet’s driver.

Also release confirms and the tweak mode or continuous drag is super useful when posing bones, it feels more like puppeting, without it it would feel more mechanic. So this mode is super useful across Blender.

I had to make a video quickly to demonstrate the problem. Even at the beginning of the video you can see that I (really) accidentally moved a vertex that I had no intention to move really :joy:

1 Like

I really hope that people can move past this. First of all, they didn’t remove it. They just changed the “Default” key to F3 (If you are having issues getting that to work, try resetting Blender to factory settings). But, it’s not like you can’t just change it back. That’s exactly what I did and it was super simple. So please peeps, give it a rest.

3 Likes

I’m not saying this to just casually dismiss the frustrations of people who find the new UI frustrating. I feel you. The frustration is real, I felt it at the beginning; it’s not silly at all. What’s silly is proclaiming that these frustrations amount to permanent, lasting problems with the UI that will forever taint the new product. In reality, Search being changed to F3 is only frustrating because you’re used to using spacebar. Once you’re used to using F3, that’s just what you’ll use and the frustration will be gone; you won’t even think about it anymore.

And getting used to it will happen quicker than you think. Most of the frustrations people have with 2.8 are made worse by the fact that they’re only poking and playing around with 2.8 while still doing all their actual work in 2.79. I’ve been playing with 2.8 for a while during the alpha, and after doing a couple of small projects end-to-end, I’m completely used to it (it only took one project for me to adapt, in all honesty) and I now only use 2.79 for things that absolutely can’t be done on 2.8 yet, like multires sculpting. And it’s kind of funny, but now all my frustrations are with 2.79. That same frustration you feel when you hit spacebar in 2.8 to search for something and just get another toolbar? I feel that in 2.79 now when I try to de-select everything and the Timeline starts running for some stupid damn reason. At least I can flip the viewport header up to the top where it belongs!

Making the adaptation problem worse, is that the only reason I know where things like shortcuts and menus and buttons have been moved to in some cases, is because I have been closely following 2.8’s development. There’s no single place where someone who hasn’t been following it so closely but wants to give it a try can just find a convenient list of all the changes, so the person surprised that spacebar doesn’t pop up search anymore doesn’t then have to spend fifteen minutes finding out what hotkey DOES call search. Without such a guide you’re doomed to frustration. If you haven’t been following 2.8 closely by this point, and you know you’re the kind of person who will get violently angry over hotkey and UI changes, it might be better that you save yourself the trouble and keep your hands off of 2.8 until somebody releases some kind of “orientation” video on YouTube or something to guide you through all the changes step by step.

5 Likes

They recently added an option to switch the spacebar back to search in the preferences.

4 Likes

Spacebar for playback?! I’m in!

3 Likes

agree jakeblended !!!

for my own part am an ooooold ( in time an age as i’m 50 ) user of blender.
i passed the 2.49 to 2.5 trial… this was a pain in the ass and i cursed blender dev team for this !
now i know i was wrong ^^

don’t laugh but i recently installed a 2.49 !!!
i was just lost and wondering how i could use this shit before :stuck_out_tongue:

nah dev team is IMHO on the right way ( i would put apart the icons colors choice but it’s only a visual preference and not a feature one ).
i’m off on 2.8 FOR THE MOMENT just because:

1. there’s no way to bake displacement maps
  2. unwrapping seems somewhat messed up

for anything else… c’mon guys !!! you want some more coffee ? :stuck_out_tongue:

happy 2.79ing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Philistine!

1 Like

Unless I’m missing something, The Autokey feature is now a circle button in the transport controls. For those old enough to remember, it looks the old “Record” button on tape machines. :wink:

3 Likes

I am well aware. It used to be circle button on 2.79 as well and yes I am old enough to remember its origin. Technology advanced fast did it not?

That I remember however does not mean I find the current button clear enough or that I don’t miss the accompanying controls.

My post was in reply to someone else who complained about the visibility of that button. I guess without context it sounds like I could not find the button which was not the case. :slight_smile: The post I replied to complained about low visibility with the default theme and I agreed and added that I missed the keying sets for example.

1 Like

Totally out of topic:
what you say brings me to my youth !!! :smiley:
who/what-company decided that record was a red circle ? play a white triangle ? pause, two vertical bars ? and stop a whit square ??? :smiley:

i guess PM is mandatory on this topic as it has nothing to do in BA forums ^^

The preference panel is a little bit buggy at the moment.
2018-11-27_22-31-56

blender_2018-11-27_22-35-50 2018-11-27_22-36-15

Also, what’s the point of leaving a blank space on the right? The size it’s the same as the one occupied by the slide bar, so not showing it by default just make it more difficult to understand that you can scroll some of the menus.

1 Like

That reminds me, I was using Blender 2.8 a few months ago at school, right after the first major UI changes, and teacher walked over to me and asked me what program I was using, and seemed surprised when I said it was Blender. He was looking for a cheap 3D software to make models to print, but from what I gathered, hadn’t considered Blender because he thought it might be hard to learn. I think one look at the 2.8 UI changed his mind! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It is just a margin. It is the same size and appearance as the margin on the top and left sides.

1 Like

You would seem to be assuming that people who criticize something is because one have not used enough Blender 2.8. Here two of my renders with Eevee for you to see that I am doing the homework:

Now i can talk. In properties editor, single column with sick obsession by ordering in multiple items and subitems do not help at all. It is a headache to navigate and configure complex settings of Particles and Physics tabs. In addition to make it worse, someone thought of not having scrollbar always visible was fashion, so you are even more lost.

Anyway I understand that there are people who are comfortable with all this. This is just my experience and no means I am saying that everything is annoying. Just let people express themselves without judging them.

12 Likes

I feel bad for anyone jumping into blender in 2.8 because they think that a theme change and moving a few buttons around is going to make it easier to learn.

2 Likes

Will it not? It’s already a lot more straight forward than it was before.

1 Like

There are two things that are going to make a difference, the active tools and the LMB option on the splash.
That doesn’t make a 3d package suddenly easier to learn for anyone except someone familiar with other 3d packages.

1 Like

view options and overlays are so more organised than the hell of 2.79 with all this stuff scattered across the UI in such a disorganised manner… it is a bit churlish to say this:

I feel bad for anyone jumping into blender in 2.8 because they think that a theme change and moving a few buttons around is going to make it easier to learn.

5 Likes

That is Eevee?? Incredible!