[NEWS] Project Harmony - Better Dynamic Shadows for BGE is coming!

are you sure thats what it is cause my computer is only a 09 model?

do you happen to know what opengl version or new version this is using?

also i opened up the old DXDIAG and it says that the graphics supports and is running direct x 11 so it should be able to handle this.

the name if the chipset is “Mobile Intel® 4 seies Express Chipset Family”

The BGE doesn’t use Direct X, as it’s a cross-platform engine, and Direct X only works on Windows devices. The BGE uses OpenGL for rendering objects and scenes. You have an integrated graphics card, which usually isn’t as up to the task for advanced shaders and effects as a brand-name card, like ATI or NVIDIA. Have you updated your graphics card driver recently? If not, search for ‘Intel drivers’ to see if you can find some.

EDIT: Just saw the previous posts, which addresses part of this.

DOUBLE-EDIT: This may also be why you get poor FPS on your Project SWAP game - if you got a newer graphics card, it would most likely perform better. You could probably pick up an alright card for $50-$100 (nothing awesome, but enough for using GLSL with the BGE and playing more modern 3D games). If you do, ensure that you have a spare slot of the same size as the card - you probably can find a guide on replacing and adding graphics cards to a computer on the Internet.

um well i went to the lenovo site and i found my exact laptop but im confused on witch driver to download the amd the ati idk witch one cause i know its not ati or amd but well im confused.

ok so i opend the console and then switched to glsl mode and i got this error in the console

Attachments

If you are on Windows:
Start - Run-dxdiag-display and let me know
what gpu and how much memory.

heres a screenshot of the dxdiag

Attachments

The drivers are up to date…I don’t know what’s going wrong…

I’ve just updated the Graphicall build (http://graphicall.org/740/). Could you try that one?

WoW Moguri, you are moving really fast ( I mean coding/developing).
Anyway may I put a question here?
Why does blender crash if I want more than 3 lamps with shadow enabled? I having 3 spot shadows with VSM and 75fps( complex scene) and if I add another one blender crashes and I got a “Graphic driver has stopped working but has successfully recovered”.
What could be the problem?
Thank you!

If you can setup a simple file that causes the crash, I can take a look at it. Simply adding 4 shadow casting spot lamps to my current does not cause a crash.

Well,my scene it’s complex and , I am having more lamps ( my bad ), I am having 8 lamps, 3 of them are without spec,2 with spec and 3 with shadows (512)
Anyway, it’s a part of my game, ( the blend) , i will see what I can do.

Thank you tho.

wow! that was fast! YAY it works! thanks so much!

Wow this is so much better the shadows arent allways so dark and hard and much softer and the lighting i dont know if is diffrent but it looks so much nicer and everything runs super fast!

sry i ran into one other problem, when you try to do normal mapping and you go and click geometry in the texture properties everything goes black

Hey I’ve been testing the builds for a few days and thought idd help report some bugs with the newest build. Its not possible to rotate the sun lamp 180 degrees without it causing the shadows to bug out and not work out of frustum as in the picture. And anything thats behind the sunlamp wont cast shadows also. Other two things were once the game engine is enabled the variance shadows lose their blur and setting the frustum size above 10 and then saving and reopening the blend causes it to go back to 10. Im using a ati 3850 i know ati cards are pretty strict around glsl stuff.

Was wondering is it not possible to have it like other engines where it seems like the frustum follows the active camera over a distance with shadow splits for lod because at the moment you have to set the resolution very high to cover a decent size area. Rather than having 1024 50 meters around the camera then have user settable shadow splits down to 512 at say 100 meters then anything over that distance from the camera just fade them out completely for better performance?

Anywho wont ramble on to much thanks for all the great game engine improvements :wink:

Attachments

Hey is anyone else experiencing frame rate down on this branch for soft shadows?

Will baked shadow maps will resolve this issue? or is there any other optimization that needs to be done?

WOW, thats a big framerate decrease, check the shadow sample.
Its very weird because this branch is faster than the official build, 60 fps simple shadows, 72 VSM.

Hmm, if i set the resolution of shadow buffer from 2880 to 1024 the frame rate bounce back to 60 fps as expected. Also other options like textured spot light doesn’t seem to have much impact on frame rate.

Also is shadows for point light available on the new builds?
And i really like the shadow colour option. it looks cool for Variance shadow type.

if you put it at 2048 instead of 2880 maybe you’ll see some speedup without losing too much resolution? In 3d, it’s usually good to stick to power-of-two resolutions.

Yes, i’d try that^