Pixar RenderMan for Blender!

.9 is out!

[TABLE=“class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container”]

v0.9.0 7/13/16

• Many minor bug fixes

• Texture sequences should work correctly. (use $F4 in texture name)

• Linking files will pull in the material node tree from other files now automatically. Appending you still must attach the node tree.

• RMANTREE setting is more sensible and user friendly. Set RMANTREE in addon preferences. No need to worry about environment variables.

• RIB archiving works. Create a rib archive of your geometry to bake rib gen or export rib for other uses. (thanks to rgordon)

• In the View3D toolbar now is a RenderMan toolbar tab, allowing many quick operations for convenience

• Motion Blur now uses a shutter angle instead of 0-1

• Default settings now match RenderMan for Maya

• Light and object panels (in the scene properties)

• Here you can create and edit light and object groups

• Light and object groups can then be used in trace set settings (on lights etc) and in AOVs

• Also this is a convenient place to do all the light linking (works in IPR)

• During IPR light properties can be edited en masse here. Also mute and solo lights

• Render Selected button - quickly lets you render only a set of objects selected

• Sampling presets to quickly change sampling settings (thanks rgordon)

• Incremental rendering can now be disabled (it’s on by default)

• Rib generation should be more stable

• default OUT directory is now /tmp

• cache sizes options are now available in advanced scene settings

• curves can render as ribbons now or round curves (default)

• hair width correctly uses the Cycles settings rather than duplicating

• High resolution smoke is supported (finally)

• Darkfalloff is supported (thanks jdent) PRMan 20.9 feature

• Openexr renders can go to multilayer exrs for compositing (thanks Jdent)

• some example files are provided - accesible though toolbar

• Inline RIB boxes can now be inserted into the rib stream in various places (scene, world, object settings)

• Major Render settings and workflow overhaul and simplification!

• Regular renders can be sent to Blender or ‘it’ as before, no need to set display driver

• External Renders are now an option for rendering outside of Blender. These renders will NOT load results back into blender. This allows users to spool batch renders to Pixar’s LocalQueue or Tractor for network rendering. See settings in Scene properties.

• When externally rendering crossframe denoise is supported.

• Overhaul of layers UI, simple version, then switch to RenderMan passes for more advanced options.

• DeepExr and multilayer outputs are supported.

[/TABLE]

Thank you!

Sincerest gratitude for empowering FOSS users with this amazing technology!

thanks a lot!

If you haven’t tried this exporter out in a while you pretty much owe it to yourself to check out the latest update :yes: It’s almost a whole new plugin.

Thanks bsavery… very nice work done

Thank you very much Brian for you excellent work on this add-on.

RenderManProServer-20.10 and PRMan-for-Blender
for Bender 2.77 7.9.16
Addon installed nicely but it would not render lots diff errors. I did have a previous version 20.07 still installed.
Clicked the Animation Render Button and it started working.
F12 Render now works, git page said it should work with 20.09 but this is what i happened to me.
Windows 10 with no Maya IT.

IT should be installed along.

I had some problems with the new exporter too at the beginning, but after installing the latest renderman version it worked fine. Maybe try to uninstall the old version?

However… did you guys see pixar released RenderMan 21? Non-commercial version supposed to go out soon!:slight_smile:
https://renderman.pixar.com/view/renderman20

Some question, I guess mainly for bsavery :slight_smile:
How is the new version going to work with the actual exporter? Will it need some big change? Will all the nice pixar shader collection and stuff like that be available in blender too? :slight_smile:

Well for right now you have to buy RenderMan 21. Which I highly recommend of course for users that want to see continued development from Pixar on this… but there is a branch on github which supports 21 and all the fancy features!

BTW you can already get the PxrMarschnerHair shader in 20 and use that in Blender. Also might be nice to mention that all the talk of physically based shaders in Blender, and making a Disney Bxdf that we’ve had that for a while :wink:

Thanks for the answer bsavery! Buying renderman is something I am thinking often about. Right now there are also other new solution for blender, so need to think it carefully, study and see what is best for me!

Installed the latest release yesterday, been a while since I had a chance to work with Blender, and I am quite pleased, great work on the add-on, so far it works really well, many many thanks to Brian for his awesome work, two thumbs up!

I will try and post images in the coming weeks!

Yeah! It works very well indeed. Tested it yesterday for a while and checked against some scenes that failed in early versions and have not had any issue with them in latest version. Very well done.

Question: how can I drive the roughness of the PxrLMMetal input using image textures? I am using pxrTexture node RGB output, but nothing works.

I used a diffuse PxrDiffuse node to check if the texture is mapped correctly and it is. Still, using that image for the roughness won’t do any effect, the metal is completely sharp.

Do I need to convert the RGB value some how?

Other question, is there some other color correction node beside the PxrHLS for the node editor?

Thank you!

Quick question here, do I still need to install RMan for Maya to get IT, or does it come with ServerPro now?

IT is a viewer/player, not a renderer, used for other tasks. Interactive preview rendering (IPR) to start with…

“it” is a robust framebuffer/render view window, offering complete floating point support and a powerful and flexible catalog, as well as a fast and powerful imaging tool that is capable of production-qualilty image manipulation and compositing usually found only in high-end standalone products.” … continue @ -source-

Not sure if You are replying to my post, but if so, thanks!

I know what IT is, it used to come with RMan for Maya plugin, so We had to install RMan for Maya to be able to use it in Blender, but the RMan installer does not give me the option to install RMan for Maya anymore (Maya not installed here), so I was wondering if IT came with Server Pro now, and if not, does it mean that I need to install Maya trial, a 3GB download, not to mention that I hate polluting my system with Autodesk crap, in order to be able to install the RMan plugin so I can use IT in Blender?

You can still install Renderman for Maya. I get a message every time I run the NCR installer telling me there was an issue selecting products, and it only lists the ProServer version until you click “Show All”.

You use a PxrToFloat node.