Pixologic ➔ Maxon ZBrush

Yeah, I also wonder what the core team of Pixologic already knows, but doesn’t dare to disclose.

My guess is this:

Maxon probably has full control over the future of ZBrush, otherwise Pixologic would reassure ZB users that they should not worry about possible radical changes in pricing / upgrade policy.

Looking at Maxon’s prices and subscription policy of C4D, Redshift etc., they will converge to ZB subscriptions, and will probably ask an upgrade price for perpetual licenses that matches the yearly cost of monthly subscriptions, which will be at least 12 x $40 = $480. This will mean you’ll need to pay half the price of a new license or more to upgrade every year.

If that’s the case, I will choose one of these options:

1. Maybe upgrade during a possible special discount offer period, such as Black Friday.

2. Continue using the last supported version of my perpetual license (2022.x.x).

3. Go full Blender Sculpt Mode + 3D Coat.

Let’s hope for the best, as the future of the ZB user community should not be messed up by corporate greed.

One thing’s for sure: I won’t be upgrading my Keyshot for ZBrush license anymore, as that would require even more recurring investment, and Blender + Cycles / Octane / Luxcore are very competent Keyshot competitors, with GoZ for Blender being a great tool for seamless transfers of a scene between ZBrush and Blender.

1 Like