Plant girl (Strawberry sketchbooks)

This is a concept for one of the side characters in my game Named Hana. She is of a race of plant people. How do you think of the design?

FlowerRig

13 Likes

It’s cool !
The lighting is much better than some of your previous works.

On the technical side :
1/ The area around the eyes can be smoothed given the available polygons.
You can try to install looptools addon (shipped with blender by default) and it has a functionality to make circles from a selection, that’s worth testing.

2/ The hair and the arms looks quite subdivided, it’s kinda ok but I think in video games polycount is still quite an important factor. You can probably manage to get a smooth result without as many polys as you have now.

On the design itself :
The character is cute and it works well but it’s not super obvious that it’s a living plant. I might not have guessed if you didn’t mention it.
So how to convey more that idea visually ?
This is also related to other species in your game, you might want to design their characteristics all at the same time, so you can induce ideas by opposition.
In the same fashion but at a smaller scale, working on several “plant people” at the same time might help to see what they can share in common.

All that is not mandatory and it’s hard to judge without looking at the big picture of your game project. But the more you can convey visually the simpler it gets for you as a game designer and for the player.

4 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. I will try to improve the topology of my characters and work more on the species.

1 Like

Cool ! you’ve got a good basis so it’s just a matter of how much you can improve it !

About character design, I’ve noticed that in general unless you are really good and / or lucky, it takes a lot of iterations to get to a final result.

In general the first one ( or at least the first working version) is cool and got some nice spontaneity, then you start trying things and you might get worse results, and by keeping trying things and refining the design you generally end up with something much more elaborate than the first versions.
It’s not that the first one wasn’t good, it’s just that while iterating you find ideas and you end up having a better idea of what you try to do.

it’s not mandatory to do as many iterations especially if you make your project alone.
But trying that a few time for the sake of learning might be really interesting.

They talk about character design in the sprite fright production log conference :

I found it super inspiring in general.

Have fun !

4 Likes

She is actually the second
https://blenderartists.org/t/slimm-the-plant-boy/1420957/7
Was the first.

1 Like

This is a concept picture of the female Floros. I thought about what I was going for with them a bit more and I would say there not quite suppose to be living plants. They came from plants or plant like creatures and turned more humanoid, but still have plant like quality’s the power to use photosynthesis. The girls have flora in there hair like flowers or the one above leaves Their supposed to look very friendly though they have a tendency to spread like weeds and conquer much of the land turning them into forest towns. biggest enemy metal drake
https://blenderartists.org/t/metal-drake-background-added/1443999.

1 Like

It might be a bit hard to tell but I wanted to try some of the Shader I learned recently
Thanks for the help guys! https://blenderartists.org/t/about-3d-materials-and-shaders/1444329

3 Likes

I wanted to put some of the Progress of the game I’m making up

This was from about a month ago now

And this one was from today the framerate is much better now. .

There was a new character in one of the videos not show before he is of the metal drake species. This is actually a older model and one of the first ones I made in blender. He is around number 4 or 5. Please feel free to ask questions and add feedback.

Sorry wrong video format its fixed now.

1 Like

Practicing props and shapes going to add more objects for practice later.

3 Likes

Trying out texture animation.

1 Like

2 Likes

I found a script to make explosions and slightly edited to randomize colors

1 Like

I wrote my own particle system now to make fire.

Now to optimize.

1 Like

Sapling Adventurer for the small game project I’m trying to make.

4 Likes

I was practicing modeling ,sculpting and curves to make a redesign of drake child.

2 Likes

Practice with making silhouettes in 3D

2 Likes

Programming an AI for Monsters/NPCs

it’s not very good yet.

1 Like

Upgrade. Red pathfinder, Green wonder , Blue player.

1 Like

More types of AI’s! Try not to get confused. LightBlue:Player, Darkblue:follower,
Red: Pathfinder, Yellow: Avoider, Green: Wonderer

If you have some spare time please tell me what type of monsters in game you find fun to play against. I will be happy to try and program it.(If I can figure out how it works)

2 Likes