Polar Bear Cub WIP

The black muzzle really completes it. It drives home that this little guy is indeed a polar bear. I like the fur color variations, I think you could push it a little more white. Not much, since it will soon start to look blown out, but just a little bit. Dirty paws look good too.

How did I miss this, the little guy looks adorable

Looking good. Nice job on the fur. Pose and expression look good too.

3dementia: The lighting isn’t really direct on the white part, if I rotate it a bit, then it is already starting to be a bit too much, I may actually tone it down a little :wink: Thanks :slight_smile:

tyrant monkey: Thanks :slight_smile:

crazychristina: Thanks :slight_smile: But there aren’t any pose nor expressions on that render :stuck_out_tongue: Not yet, I only opened the eyes and the mouth to help with painting textures :wink:

I will add some fur in his ears as well as some longer clumped fur under the belly and behind the limbs. I may also add a few little clumps on the top of the head, just to see if it gives a nice style, sorta like in my sketches.

Also, @DerekG1080 is making a winter environment scene for this little guy to be animated in :wink: He will post updates as soon as he have some and I will post more update on this little cub soon :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Here is a little closer to getting finished :slight_smile: Only have to make the tongue better as well as rig it, perhaps add a few facial expressions more then what I currently have, I need to also give custom bone shape to the controls so its easier to animate and pose while still seeing the character well.

I hope you guys like :slight_smile: Any C&C welcome as usual :wink:

Cheers!

He’s turning out great, but I think polar cub’s fur are a lot less groomed. They tend to stick out more.

Great job!
Your first sketch is so nice!
very impressive (artistically and technically)!

Did you use Sculptris?
Did you use a simple subdivided sphere?

DarkLimit: Thanks :slight_smile: I agree, polar bear fur isn’t this nicely groomed. However, this isn’t ment to be realistic, but rather stylized and cute :stuck_out_tongue: I did try to make the fur more like a real polar bear, and it came out kinda creepy. Like it was a baby born with deformations. (They have skinnier body with long clumpy fur, as opposed to my character which is fatty with a big head, if I make the fur too long, then it becomes too much).

filou.rod: Thanks :slight_smile: Sketch in MyPaint, Sculpt from a sphere in Sculptris, Retopo, rig, UV unwrap, texture (all hand painted), shading, lighting and fur all blender :wink:

Cheers!

Looks great although the blue eyes are a bit creepy, I like the brown ones better

Great looking character.
Thanks for showing the power of Blender.

Hatchnet: Thanks :slight_smile: I am still working on this, the eyes aren’t fully done yet, I am still working on textures, fur, etc :wink:

Particia3d: Thanks :slight_smile: Blender is powerful, but this is what I do, not blender. Without me, blender wouldn’t do the work alone. Same goes for any 3D apps. I hear people saying, Maya is better, others Max is better, lol. Actually, any apps is as good as another, its the artist that uses it that makes the difference :wink: I am a former Maya user, and this is just as easily done in Maya then in blender. Blender is great and also is Maya. I chose to use blender cause its free and I personally like it better. But as far as the power of blender, we all already know how good it is :wink: All this to say thanks but its not just blender’s power but also mine as an artist :stuck_out_tongue: LMAO!!! (I’m just messing around :stuck_out_tongue: )

More updates coming soon :wink:
Cheers!

I totally agree :smiley: BTW it’s looking absolutely great! Can’t wait to see it animated :stuck_out_tongue: I hope I get to be as good as you are now in 11 years :wink:

fergoblender:

BTW it’s looking absolutely great! Can’t wait to see it animated :stuck_out_tongue: I hope I get to be as good as you are now in 11 years :wink:

Thanks :slight_smile: Well, practice, practice, more practice, study anatomy, draw a lot, sculpt, practice, practice and more practice :wink:

Here is a quick update composition of a few pose renders, rig is about 98% done, some minor tweaks here and there to do but nothing major. I may change the eyes back to brown, dunno. Some very quick poses easily done with the super simple rig I created for this. I am amazed by how easy this one deforms without much efforts :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers :wink:

I dig the poses, especially the last one. It’s looking pretty good man. My only crit so far would be the eyes. I feel you could get more realism than you have so far. Not the shape, but the texture, spec and feel of the actual eye itself. Hope that makes sense. Keep up the cool work, pun intended.

He said in one of his other posts

I actually like the eyes anyway :smiley:

can i take him home? i love the second pose, reminds me of Bambi :smiley:

looking cool - the face is a bit odd though :S

So cool! The fur is greatly improved, as is the texture, and the poses are awesome. Are you going to put him on Blend Swap?

Let me rephrase this: The eyes could at least have the cartoonish look similar to Pixar and stuff, so that they catch the spec better and so that the iris has depth rather than looking like a texture mapped on a sphere. If he took the time to make the fur look as good as it does, then surely the same kind of attention could be placed on the eyes.

Kris: Thanks :slight_smile: I am still working on everything, this isn’t final yet, and not until we have the scene together since fur is highly depending on lighting. I am working on the eyes still and its made of 4 parts, the cornea which englobes the overall eyeball, the eye white, which is the back part of the eye, the iris, which is the only part that has an actual texture and the pupil part which is inside the eyes, set to black and shadeless. :wink: There aren’t any good reflections in the eyes because there is no scene around it. I could always add a fake mirror map on the eyes, but I might as well just wait for the scene to see how it looks first. This is still a wip, and yes I agree 100% with you that the eyes do need work :wink:

Fergoblender: Thanks, but I also don’t like the eyes yet. However, the post was about rigging and deformations and not about the quality of the render lol :wink: (Kris, that goes for you too, it is still in the wip section so its a wip and your opinion is valued and taken in consideration :wink: ) as well as everyone else opinion as well.

peter18: Hehe, well if I’d have a 3D printer maybe :stuck_out_tongue: As far as your Bambi comment, you mean FAT Bamby or the actual pose? :stuck_out_tongue:

Fire_head431: Thanks, as said again, its still a wip, there are some issues with the rig I need to fix as well as with fur and textures. Dynamics seems to hold on very well though :slight_smile:

Owldude: Thanks :slight_smile: I am not sure yet if I will put it on blendswap since I plan on making a tutorial with all the recordings I did of the entire work so far and host the file on my tuto site.

Thanks for the support guys :wink:
More updates soon :wink:
Cheers!