Quad Remesher auto-retopologizer

Finally thank a lot for this fantastic addon that is worth every single penny! Will buy this week with a happy face!

2 Likes

I ran a 50k remesh on your Old Bird for fun, looked pretty good. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can anybody confirm there’s linux support?

No Linux version at the moment. The website suggests that you contact Maxime directly to express interest in Linux development.

First impressions: Feels like ZRemesher (in a very good way). However, UI/UX needs some love for it to feel natural inside of Blender. Currently edge loop control relies on either face maps/materials, requires going into edit mode to define and therefore is pretty much a non-starter on heavy, sculpted meshes (although recent sculpt masking changes could make this less of a nightmare), or automatic hard edge detection, which in my quick tests on a simple hard surface object accurately detected some very slightly beveled edges as edges that should be hard, but not others that were beveled at the exact same bevel amount. Even defining materials almost necessitates that your base geometry flows in a way similar to what you’d like your remeshed geometry to look like. Being able to define curve guides, or even better, grease pencil strokes, would be a big boon for functionality. Overall, though, the having to enter edit mode issues are Blender problems. I really like the concise number of settings (there are really only 5 that control quad number and density) and it feels very much at home. I’m looking forward to using my GoB applink to ZBrush much less often!

Things I’d love to see:

• Better edge flow guides.

• Maintain UVs.

• Better utilization of 2.8’s widget system (maybe for a bespoke curve guide placement mode?)

Fantastic work, @Max33! Thanks for keeping Blender in mind, this will certainly be a big motivator for other commercial add-on developers if you get a good response from the community!

7 Likes

Oh, you found my model on the bug report forums? :smiley:

I must be blind, because I can’t find that anymore. I know I’ve seen it a few weeks ago, and did express my interest already.

If it’s indeed no longer mentioned on the site, it should be mentioned in bold. Blender has superb linux support and a significant amount of users run it on linux, including (most of?) the devs.

Any addon claiming to be for Blender is expected to be usable on all the systems Blender runs on.

2 Likes

It’s not available for Linux yet (contact me if your are interested in Linux version)

Any addon claiming to be for Blender is expected to be usable on all the systems Blender runs on.

That’s an unrealistic requirement, especially for complex addons like this that aren’t using Blender’s API to do their work. As a dev, I can tell you that getting code to run nicely across multiple platforms, no matter what library authors may claim about cross-platform compatibility, is an uphill struggle, especially where Linux and all of it’s flavors are concerned. The effort for a single developer to support something using, without doubt, some specialized math and geometry libraries could very easily not be worth the time investment. If you’d like developers to put in the time to support your platform, make yourself heard. If enough people who will realistically spend their money pipe up, eventually there will be a point where the development effort becomes worthwhile. But saying “it’s available for Blender so it should be expected to run everywhere Blender does” is a very unappealing attitude to see as a software developer.

2 Likes

No, it’s the logical expectation I have as a Blender user buying a Blender addon, that’s all. Pretty much ever serious addon supports Linux, even ones requiring external libraries, see Shotpacker, UV Pack Master, HDR Pro Studio, etc.
He should make it very clear on his download and buy page, that linux is not supported to avoid support headaches.

2 Likes

Finally, great news!

I couldn’t tell this yet, but I’ve beta-tested QuadRemesher for Blender the past months. It has absolutely lived up to my expectations. :ok_hand:

Enjoy!

6 Likes

Oh yeah, QR is the shizz. Yowza! Heads up guys: it took like over ten minutes to get the emails with invoice, product key, and download links. Maybe it was because I use a different email for my license from my PayPal account, I dunno, but just be patient and it will eventually come.

I was doing a bunch of test and things seemed kinda crunchy here and there on some stuff, but then finally turned off Detect Hard Edges and then they were much better. So heads-up on that too. Detect Hard Edges prollly really great for specific types of edge geo… I’m sure I’ll have this figured out exactly when that toggle is going to be wanted, but if anyone has some good examples of this feature really shining, please share some screenshots.

Does anyone know if this will work using a blender under wine. I know the windows version of blender works in wine, but not about the plugin with it.

Good question. I’d ask Exoside about that to be sure.

Is it possible to guide the edge loops to work better for organic models? I’m trying it on one of my character head sculpts and it works great on everything but the mouth. I’ve tried the use materials option but I don’t think I’m doing it right.

You can assign Blender materials to different face selections or assign normals to groups of faces to retain existing edge loops. There’s no tool yet in the current version to indicate a custom edge flow.

Alternatively or additionally, you can use vertex paint to assign more polygon detail to areas, such as the mouth.

In general I can recommend the ZBrush ZRemesher workflow for QuadRemesher in Blender:

1. Set desired settings (e.g. symmetry).
  2. Run QuadRemesher with a relatively low Quad Count value. The default value of 5000 is okay in many cases. Increase the Quad Count for highly detailed meshes. I usually don’t go beyond 12000.
  3. A copy of your source mesh will be made automatically, and made invisible.
  4. Add a Shrinkwrap modifier to the QuadRemeshed object, and assign the hidden source mesh to it. Sometimes it works better to change the Shrinkwrap projection method to Project and check both the Negative and Positive checkboxes.
  5. Add a Subdivision modifier with one subdivision iteration.
  6. If necessary, repeat steps 4 and 5 to increase the level of detail derived from the source mesh.

This workflow is actually even better than ZBrush Project All, because it’s non-destructive. If you change something to the source mesh, it will automatically be reprojected to the QuadRemeshed mesh, then subdivided.

People who are not familiar with ZBrush ZRemesher usually increase the polygon count a lot, thinking there should be enough polygons to capture all the details, but the best workflow is the above-mentioned approach, where QuadRemesher can capture the global mesh flow / curvature, and details can be added by Shrinkwrapping (similar to Project All in ZBrush) and Subdividing. This approach keeps the base QuadRemeshed mesh editable, UV mappable, riggable, etcetera.

The progressive subdivision workflow is also ideal for a Multiresolution modifier (although some work needs to be done on the Multiresolution modifier in Blender 2.81 at the time of writing).

8 Likes

Is it known if that is planned?

I don’t know if it’s planned, but I can imagine it will be added to a future update, because ZBrush has ZRemesher Guides, and QuadRemesher comes from the same developer.

Dang, I thought that was the remesher being added to Blender. What a bummer.

1 Like

:grin: I can understand the confusion.

Quadriflow is the algorithm that’s been added to Blender 2.81, and QuadRemesher is the new add-on.

QuadRemesher is indisputably better than Quadriflow.

1 Like

Maintain UVs is definitly my next feature!
About widget system, can you send some links so I can see what you are talking about.

8 Likes

Maxime is the king of auto retopology algorithm period!

1 Like