Rei Ayanami fanart - 1st Blender Project

Hi everyone, here’s my first post and Blender Project from back in November 2020.

A little intro, I used to dabble in Maya years ago, and took a long hiatus from CG due to everything else, ie life.

Picked up Blender 2.8 last year, and honestly, there was a learning curve, but once I accepted that “this isn’t Maya” and stopped expecting that, it got quite comfortable!

Of course, there are still things that I miss from the Maya interface, most notably, MMB snapping, dragging panels to other monitors, etc.

More ranting in the IG version https://www.instagram.com/p/CHcijfxHY0I

Apologies if I’ve missed some rules, I’m new here.

5 Likes

I’ve seen this anime from start to end! Great job with Ayanami!
Because all video game jobs absolutely request Maya, I’ve gave it a try once… but my feeling is the opposite from you… I think I could learn it in a few weeks, but all feels a lot slower to do and harder :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Similar, I learnt Maya back then because it’s the “industry standard”. The UI is “old school”, (eg, drag the gizmo) so, it’s somewhat intuitive.
I totally agree for modelling, Blender is much faster, it took me less than a week to pick up the sculpting + modelling + retopo workflow. I wouldn’t even imagine attempting it in Maya anymore, although my experience is dated from 7+ years ago.
Blender’s animation workflow would improve greatly if we could have multi windows or detachable tabs.

1 Like

…Not sure if this what you’re referring to, but if you hold shift, while separating a viewport, the window will detach :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!!! That’s exactly what I needed, I was trying with things like “open new Main Window”, etc.

1 Like

Nice to see someone else making Rei! I did a couple Rei projects too, and made some tutorials about the rendering if you want to check it out:

1 Like