SKETCH STYLE addon

Some interesting SS renders…

1 Like

Thank you for putting the time to try to make something sketch-useful in Blender. It is an area of prime importance to architectural design. I have bought your addon, but I find for the complexity of models that I work with the Freestyle isn’t worth the long time to it take render linestrokes.

Also, I’ve posted a separate topic in general of how to achieve a bettter scattered Ambient occlusion with some GI similar to what Rhino produces in the viewport. Blender internal was great for this but it took time. I am thinking that if Rhino is able to do it in the viewport, there should be a way to do it in Eevee.

The Eevee image is something that started from your default sketch style with some adjustments to ambient occlusion and the sun position addon in Blender 2.81, but it’s still nowhere near as good as the Rhino viewport one.

Can you post your file?

Hi chippwalters, I love your addon. I have an issue when I save the startup file while your addon is active then that startup file wont start. Blender crashes on startup. I have to delete the start up file and start blender fresh and redo all my settings.
The addon though is awesome. I just have to remember not to edit the startup file until this is fixed

Are there other addons running in the startup file?

I have many addons that are active. It took me a while to figure out so I started deactivating addons one by one until I norrowed it down to yours.

Ok, will look into it. Thanks.

Hi Chipp, i commented a couple times on some YT vids about the style selection method and it being tedious. I made a comment perhaps its easier adding either an enum menu or a file selector like materials or images have.

Here’s another addon, named welder, it uses a way simpler and much faster method of picking a style.

Though your method of course allows the user to navigate to custom locations. But sometimes it very hard and tedious to get back to the addon folder. Perhaps it should have options on the left in the WM popup. A button directing the user immediately to the addon style folder. For instance what importers/exporters have, they have certain options. I once had an idea for this to organise scene folder this way. Just havent found the time yet to create it. When doing models, you often use certain folders a lot. I already have tons of Bookmarks. But sometimes you have scene depended folder. My addon would allow you to save scene/project folders as bookmarks. Hope i can make this one day :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

1 Like

Dang talk about interesing model! That looks sick man

1 Like

Chipp, Hello… I have purchased your Addon, thank you for the development. As I had shared with you, Freestyle doesn’t like Particles (Grass, Leave, Hair, etc.) (Boo!) which is not your immediate problem, but limits my usage on more complicated scenes. I am currently stalled on trying to build LANPR, with errors (Posted to DevTalk for assistance), but hope to post a build eventually. Have you looked into this potentially useful NPR tool to use with your wonderful Addon? Maybe too soon to consider, but I tend to push to edge on this subject. ;->}

Yes, we use that same technique in KIT OPS.

We made the decision to allow users to save presets, and the thumbnail preview can become somewhat of an issue. I don’t think people are going to be picking from many different styles. I think they will find one or tow and stick with them.

Also, you can store your presets in any folder you like. They don’t have to be in the addons folder-- it’s just that the addons folder allows us to immediately have users be able to access a number of presets quickly.

Hi Paul. Yes, while LANPR is impressive as a realtime Freestyle type renderer, it 1) isn’t yet in Blender and; 2) does not have the flexibility and features of Freestyle at this time. That said, I do support and encourage the developers and Blender to consider incorporating it. It certainly looks like a SketchUp killer feature.

THats indeed true, but isnt the folder always picking the last used folder of blender or are you using string with subtype set to DIR_PATH. I believe that doesnt remember or open the path of th string

I still think saving and using preset can be better and faster. But lets see what users say. Its already a great addon i think

1 Like

I know I’d rather set a directory in preferences and choose from a list of thumbnails that shows off the style like in most other addons than memorize all of them or dig up a picture. Especially since it’s not something I’m using all the time.

3 Likes

Yep me 2, thats why i suggested that UI. Its easier and faster, also gives a user visual feedback.

1 Like

Will put it at the top of the list for V2.

1 Like

I have a question,
After installed this add-on, every time when i open my project, the default was in Sketch style, which is annoying sometimes, is there anyway i can change the default to normal rather than Sketch.

Hi Richard,

If you’re using the latest version, you will only see the default behavior you describe if you have an existing scene with SKETCH STYLE already installed.

It should not be present on other scenes.

Here’s a quick way to achieve the following below images with proper AO and sharp shadows in EEVEE.

Here’s the file:

LargeScaleAO5.blend (3.4 MB)

2 Likes

Hey Chipp, I dont know why I am having so much trouble. Right now sketchstyle is activated so blender will not start if I go to the addon folder and remove the sketchstyle folder, then blender works fine. If I want to use this addon I must re-install it and then deactivate it before closing.
This use to happen also in 2.81, but just got the latest build and it is working fine in 2.81 now. The problem only happens in 2.80.

It is because you have saved your startup file with a SketchStyle scene. Disable SketchStyle, save your startup file, and then enable SketchStyle in the prefs and you’re good. I have a fix which I’ll be sending out shortly.