Here is my new add-on to do onion skinning for your Blender animation workflow.
Onion skinning is a technique used by animators to see multiple frames at once. By using this technique, artists can easily see how to alter or adjust an image based on the previous image in the sequence. This technique is very useful for 3d animators to see previous animation frames or the later frames at once as well.
Slash is an add-on which aims to make using onion skinning technique easier for Blender users. It provides clean and easy-to-use user interface, and will make your animation skill to next level.
You can download the sample blend file in the video here:
slash_sample_demo.blend (1.7 MB)
This add-on is available on Gumroad and Blender Market
Let you see earlier frames, later frames at the same time
Onion skinning for all frames
Onion skinning for a range of frames
Onion skinning on some specific frames which you add
Onion skinning on multiply meshes at the same time
Intuitive user interfaces, you don’t even learn to use this add-on, it tells what you can do with it.
How to install
Open Blender, go to File > User Preferences > Add-ons (or Edit > Preferences > Add-ons in 2.80), then press the “Install Add-on from File” button. Select the ZIP file that you downloaded after purchase and install it.
After installed, tick the add-on checkbox to enable it, and save your user preferences so it stays enabled.
How to use
After install and active the add-on, you can see the Slash panel in the
Slashtab of the Property Panel.
Active Slash Onion Skinningcheckbox in the Slash panel. it will show you more UI.
Select a mesh or some meshes you wish to do onion animation and click
Addto add it to the onion set.
Choose which types of frames you want to onion skinning:
Start Onionto see onion skinning frames
Adjust some settings and click
Refresh Onion Objectsto see the result.
The Slash settings you made will be saved while you save your
For more details, see the top video in this page.
Be sure to put your View display mode in solid mode to see opacity onion frames
Simple Descriptions of UI
For all frames
For frame range
For specific frames
If you encounter bugs while using Slash on Blender 2.80, please report bugs in this thread, and I will fix them soon.
Slash supports for Blender 2.80
- Add on preference option to rename add-on tab name in N panel
Version 1.0.3 :
- Fix: some edge case errors while keep original oinon without custom colors option turns on
- Fix: new_object_from() error
- Correctly handle empty type mesh
- Use a better icon for added collections of objects
- Can add linked collection into Slash
- Frame Range - Relative: Fix showing wrong onion objects
- Fix: Wrong onion objects position while turn on automatically move onion objects behind
- Correctly handle alpha for onion objects while rendering
- Fix: Crash while frame increment is zero
- Fix: Crash while rendering animation after start onion
- Show onion objects while animation playback in realtime
- Fix: Add-on crashes while active and deactive
- Some bug fixes
- Add an option to only preview onion objects for keyframes
Add an option to keep original onions and don’t apply custom colors and alpha
See this demo video:
Fix: Onion object is not smooth
- Move Slash settings into
Slashcategory instead of
- Fix addon not work for the latest Blender 2.8 build due to the dependency graph API changes.
- Add a checkbox option to move onion objects behind current object or not.
Turning this on will prevent onion objects to overlap current object, turning this off can get a more precise location of onion objects. You can toggle this option which depends on your own need.
- Initial release
About features request
Features request on Slash are all welcome, please post them in this thread.