Solutions to common problems

Hi,

Blender 2.50 alpha 2 doesn’t work properly on my computer (Windows vista 32bits). All menus are empty and the console is full of “RNA_string_set: OperatorProperty.data_path not found…”. I didn’t find anything about that on google. I tried several builds from graphicall.org but I always get the same problem. Any idea ?

Thanks

(by the way, Blender 2.49 and 2.49b work fine)

Plop may I suggest that you use the latest trunk build from graphical, 2.5a2 has been improved tremendously. You simply unzip it and it contains everything it needs!

I tried the r29870 and the r29871 (which is 20 minutes old) but I still have empty menus :frowning:

I read in the r29870 comments that the previous build was missing .blender and its subdirs, resulting in empty menus. I also have blender 2.49 installed, maybe its .blender folder conflits the 2.50 one ? I tried to rename the .blender found in “C:\Users\Plop\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender” but it had no effect :s

hmm, I don’t know what is going on. I must have 10 versions of blender 2.5 and 2 of 2.49 on my computer (lazy I know) and they are working. I’m using r29870 right now and its fine. Did you try re-dl’ing it maybe it was corrupted? In your outlook window, does the file path structure seem intact?

I tried re-downloading it but still have the same problem.

What do you mean ? What’s the outlook window ? (I’m french so I am a little retarded sorry :yes:)

I’ve got a problem with when I occlude background geometry in Edit Mode. I get a black screen when I hover over menus. Can anyone help? I’m using Blender 249.2 I think.

I’m having an issue with one of my saved .blend files. The 3d window doesn’t pan or zoom in but i can move it with alt +lmb and select the model but i cant zoom in or pan around, also the model disappears when I move around in the 3d window. I’m noy sure why it’s doing this only in this file. Is there a view distance limit to where objects are visible? I am working on a floor plan for a house and ever since I extruded it, it started to do have these problems. Anyone know how to fix this besides resetting to factory default? I’m using the 2.5 Alpha 0 Beta btw.

I currently downloaded Blender 2.53.0 and I am experiencing crashes when I add a “SMOKE” -Physics to a simple object (cube) as DOMAIN. Any suggestions?

moved to a thread

Hey the border select key in blender lags when i try to use it…but everything else works fine. I mean just trying to use border select on the default cube takes a few seconds …help anyone its really hard to model without it and i dont know any other tools that would work. Im running blender on a brand new hp pavilion entertainment pc with a intel 2 core duo

Does it make sense that Blender experiences some flashing black screen with red vertices/edges in the main object manipulation viewport when an Intel GMA X4500 is used to run Blender 2.49b?

What can I do to remedy this problem?

I’m taking a class on Blender at my school. I just downloaded blender 2.49 (from blender.org’s website). I just finished my first project but when I clicked f12 to render the picture (the assignment was to build a tophat and place it on suzanne the monkey head), the picture “builds up” with blocks of it appearing one block at a time like strange puzzle pieces suddenly appearing but once it finishes, everything goes black. It will stay black until I press the left mouse button, then the image appears like it should. Is this cause for concern? Will this cause problems later or is this normal? Thanks
PS: If you need more information, please tell me.

Hi guys, first post here! I am new to Blender but have spent the last few weeks going over tutorials and reading posts. I am having a couple of issues that I would like some help with.

1. I have a scene that was created in Rhino and then imported as an .stl file into Blender. The mesh was smoothed on import. The file is 97, 200kB in size.

If I right click on an object to select it often takes a few seconds for the object to become active. At that point it is very slow to move (if at all).

1. Sometimes after I select an object and Grab it to move I am unable to let the object go so that I can select something different. I am unable to maneuver in the scene because I can not let go of my selected object.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
i7-980X Overclocked to 4.1 gHz
12 gigs of RAM
Nvidia GTX460 with updated drivers

I am using Blender 2.56 - I do not think that the issue is with OpenGL as Rhino uses OpenGL and I have not had any issues with hardware acceleration, choppy views.

Any thoughts?
THANKS

Incidentally, I’m also running a GTX460 with 2.56, and I get what feels like abnormally sloppy performance on blender. I mean look, I don’t expect a powerhouse, but when my view starts dropping below 15 FPS with only 400k faces on screen, I’m pretty sure something’s gone horribly wrong somewhere. XP, 3 gigs of ram, core2duo 3ghz.

I’m trying to display a video in the BGE. I followed a tutorial based on the Blender manual (it wouldn’t let me post the link for some reason). I and several others keep getting the following error message when running the game:

Python script error from controller ”cont#CONTR#1”=
Traceback :
File “LoadingVideo”, line 13, in
RunTimeError: VideoTexture.materialID: Object doesn’t have material with given name

But no one on that site has responded. I’m having a difficult time finding instructions for what seems to be a pretty simple thing. If the manual and tutorial worked as it indicates (and other people have gotten it to work) it should be a quick and easy process. But I can’t find any help or any other tuts. As per the tutorial I’ve put my image and movie files in the same .blend directory. Can anyone please help me?

Hi guys? can you help me please!
I used 2.49 for two years, and now finally download 2.56 to test it.
First question: How can i REMOVE areas of workplace? I just click on + button in the right upper corner and i cant remove it!
Second question: Is it possible to use GLSL materials in 3d view window like in 2.49?
And third question: How can i add hotkey to display textures? ( “d” button in 2.49)
Thanks in advance

I built a little television and am trying to get it to fall (using Blender 2.56). The problem is that the television’s dials and screen aren’t falling with it. This probably has to do with the dials being separate objects, but I can’t figure out how to fix it. I’ve tried parenting, but it has no effect when I play the animation. Could someone help me out with this? Thanks!

1. To split windows drag the small triangle at the corner of the window. To merge windows drag the triangle the other way into the adjacent window. For recent builds from http://graphicall.org the 2.49 method of splitting/joining windows was brought back
    Letter T turns on/off the toolshelf panel. Letter N turns on/off the Properties panel.
    2.For GLSL materials, select the textured view from the 3dview header and in the properties (keyboard N) / Display settings select GLSL from the Shading drop down box. By default this is set at Multitexture.
  2. You would have to delve into the User Preferences / Input settings to define a custom keystroke.

Richard

If you just want to merge the separate objects into one, select them all and use Ctrl+J. Select the main television object last so the merged object keeps its origin point. This will help with any physics simulations.

Richard

I am new to blender and 3d animation for that matter. I have been going through some of the tutorials, specificaly the create a bunch of balloons tutorial. However I got to the point of creating a background dome and I am unable to import an image into the UV image editor. Can anyone help with this?

Corn