Solutions to common problems

I just upgraded to Blender 2.56.1 on OpenSUSe 11.4. Whenever I try to save a file - either using Ctrl+S or File, Save from the menu - Blender locks up. The file is saved, but in order to continue working in Blender I have to shut it down & reopen it. I didn’t have the problem with 2.49b. The newer version of Blender was an “included package” with OpenSUSe 11.4 that is supposed to recognize everything it needs for installation.

I just upgraded to Blender 2.56.1 on OpenSUSe 11.4. Whenever I try to save a file - either using Ctrl+S or File, Save from the menu - Blender locks up. The file is saved, but in order to continue working in Blender I have to shut it down & reopen it. I didn’t have the problem with 2.49b. The newer version of Blender was an “included package” with OpenSUSe 11.4 that is supposed to recognize everything it needs for installation.

Why not try the latest stable version of blender 2.59. If that was a bug it may well have been fixed in the up to date blender version.

I just “installed” 2.59 & opened my .blend file (under 3MB), made a simple change & used File, Save from the menu - it saved the file but the program locked up on me again.

I keep thinking something didn’t fully install somewhere, I just am not sure what to look at.

fixed the problem - sort of the long way around
I bought a new video card (NVIDIA GeForce210) & installed the NVIDIA drivers. Blender now “returns” from saving a file.
The Nouveau driver with the Radeon chip just didn’t do it. The Nouveau driver with the NVIDIA card didn’t work either.

Hey here’s a really nobbish question, but when I select a bunch of objects and want to, for example change the datablock ID or add them to a group, it always applies that to the last selected object, how do I get Blender to apply changed to all of the selected objects?

How do I do this? I have Blender 2.59 running on Win7 x64

eappear; he lacked the forcefulness flat to slap her for her audacity. Now it was illuminate enough to hand. Moon-Watcher picked up the shrivelled remains and dragged it after him as he grass under the low wow power leveling

I can’t find multitires in blender2.60 :frowning:

multires*

spelling.

Hi everybody. i have been trying to make particle burst animation into blender. but unfortunately i dont see particle option for my text in blender , for every other mesh it is there… (for example cube it is showing there) and i have converted the text to mesh… still it doesnt shows up there…please help me …thanks…

I have a question. When I try to import a video for a background image, I first click the little plus symbol at the top right of the screen in 3D view. Then, I select “background image”, select “Movie clips”, and “open.” Then it takes me to Blender’s file browser. Then, I click “my videos,” but nothing is there.

I checked the file format of the videos and it is AVI. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Blender, but still no luck. Do you guys know what the problem is?

I am new to using Blender, so would really appreciate any advice you might offer.

Do you mean no videos show in the browser or no video shows in the background?
At the top of the file browser or filter options, ensure you have selected movie files to be visible
Background images only show while you are in orthographic view and in the view you have selected in the background image settings. Toggle between orthographic and perspective view with numpad 5

I mean the file browser and yes,I did try the Movie switch at the top of the screen.
I just can’t get the video to become the background movie because it is not visible in the Blender file browser.

Never mind my last post…I found out a way to import my video.
But now I have a different question. I imported my video by selecting Background Images but now my video does not appear after I render my animation.
Do you guys know what this is?

This a pretty good tutorial on rotoscoping with live action footage in Blender. After watching, you should have a good perspective on how to use the Compositor.

It was much easier to duplicate vertices around in a circle around the cursor in previous blender versions. Before you could alter the angle and the number of copies in a circular array. Now you must use modifiers, array and curve modifiers, but still if I want a circle being copied to five pieces around the cursor and rotation also, I find some problems. The circle witch its center at -3 and 1 unit wide is bended (it’s simply following the circle curve, the object that is 5 pieces is modified in shape, I don’t want that). But if I only want an array to be 5 copies around in circle I only want rotation to be altered, not the shape. It’s very difficult in this newer versions of Blender, I used Blender 2.3 back in 2005. There was this button “Spin” but instead of extrude I want copy. It’s very difficult in 2.5 to control it. I can’t find a good book about Blender 2.5 eighter. I read somewhere about creating an empty and offset it accordingly, but it’s difficult to get what I want. Hope you understand me, I speak swedish. Where is a good tutorial about creating a wheel that is what I want?

You need to be clear and specific. I would recommend starting your own thread rather than having your post lost in this general one. Add screenshots, example blend files rather than a long piece of confusing text.
By the way Spin is still in blender 2.61 and you can actively change its values and see the effect in real time rather than guess and undo if incorrect as in previous versions of blender

Well, I managed to figure it out. You must offset the circle with an empty. Modifier array. A single modifier was needed. Now I can start to blend.

How to post pictures in this forum? By using imageshack? I saw that the pictures where like uploaded somehow.

How do you put a picture seen in edit mode on a plane? Say I want to model a car according to blueprints on planes. It has not to be rendered but visible in edit or object mode. I think a picture on a plane can’t be visible in edit mode while editing it. But I think you can put pictures on a plane in object mode while editing another object. What is the solution in Blender 2.5?