Some of my videos (MP4s) have stopped playing

Hi :wave: No urgency on this at all, but just wanted to ask if there’s a known issue with uploaded videos on here. I noticed last night that a few of my videos have stopped playing- they’re just black with a ‘play’ button but they don’t respond when clicked. I narrowed it down to MP4s that I’ve uploaded directly- images, gifs and external youtube links all seem to be fine.

I’m also pretty sure its just older videos that are affected as more recent posts seem to be fine. I tested this here by deleting and replacing the video and it now works. Unfortunately this bumped my post back up to the top of the feed which I don’t really want to do unnecessarily :grimacing:

A broken example can be found here I haven’t touched this so I can show a sample of the problem. I’ve also tested on multiple browsers/devices to rule that out and the problem is consistent across all of them.

The solution I’m thinking of atm is just to replace uploaded MP4s with links to youtube videos instead. I’m happy to do this, just wanted to check first if there’s a known solution, or, as quite often turns out to be the case, I’ve done something stupid :clown_face: Should I avoid MP4s altogether? I understand and totally appreciate that resources are limited here, so if linking all videos is a better policy, then I’m happy to do that from now on.

If anyone has experienced this, or knows a fix I’d be grateful for any solutions.
Failing that, I can replace my videos with links and apologise in advance for all my posts being at the top of the feed.

*I’m also 100% convinced that as soon as I click send on this that the problem will immediately correct itself and none of us will ever get this time back, for which I apologise profusely.

I stand corrected, only .MOV files are working for me. While that’s not a bad workaround, it does seem like Discourse has a bug here. @bartv it looks like there’s a Discourse update ready, could you push that?

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me- yeah, they were fine, and recent uploads seem to be okay :man_shrugging: so it feels buggy in my tiny brain that still thinks computers run on magic. I’ll wait and see if things right themselves. Thanks again!

1 Like

Since MP4s were working up until very recently, it’s 100% just a Discourse bug from a recent update. Luckily, Discourse is really good at fixing bugs quickly. I haven’t dived into the update logs for the latest version but I have no doubt there’s something about this in there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah great! Good to know. I’ll not touch anything then :stuck_out_tongue:
Thank you!

1 Like

Hmm… also had the “problem” that a very short (400k…? ) video did upload up to 100%… but the process never finished… it was short enough so that i just posted some screenshots… but i also wasn’t sure about the encoding… (did this before but not for a while…)…

Just wanted to mention this… next time i will “report” properly :wink:

…and indeed… this one i saw some time ago… but now…

2 Likes

I think I had a similar problem… :thinking:
I thought it was a network problem and uploaded it again, and it was uploaded normally.

Sometimes the connection to ba is unstable, so maybe this is the problem.

1 Like

It appears that the few or more months old videos are deleted or unreachable by their URLs:

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/e/0/0/e006b14b7b40db369af6b3051c7fdc0facb7c21c.mp4

1 Like

Yeah, looks that way. The video I thought I fixed at the weekend has gone again- maybe to do with the date of the original post :man_shrugging:
I think I’ll just swap them out for external links.

@bartv @joseph

Hi, admins. I have written to you but you have not yet responded. Can you clear the situation?

What do you want us to do? It’s a problem with Discourse, your best bet is to bring it up on Discourse Meta

I haven’t had time to look into this, but something about videos is definitely unstable :-/

There’s also at least two workarounds- .MOV files work perfectly, and external videos work perfectly

I am not about playing them in the browser. I am not about the format. I am about their presence. Is there a Discourse bug that makes video files unavailable?

I have test uploaded exactly the same video that I have 404 for and it works.

This is the OP’s URL for his video:

https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/e/0/0/e006b14b7b40db369af6b3051c7fdc0facb7c21c.mp4

![FrogBoat|video](upload://vXPi6Un3v6062FKZKbo4WN4ul4w.mp4)

Other posts with vidoes:

The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1) - #4330 by Frozen_Death_Knight

Real World UV Mapping

Is it deleted or still in your storage somewhere?