Steah - Sketchbook

Torus with a displacement shader. Depth of the displacement controls transmission, so we get these windows. Inside, another torus with a noisy emission.
I just threw the noisy bump on to break up the surface. I think it could look a better if that were more carefully done.
Displacement texture was created with JSPlacement. Converted to 32-bit, and blurred it slightly in Gimp. Without this we get stepping (and the edges are too sharp).

2 Likes

Some goofing around with a cylinder.

7 Likes

Had a surprising ‘accident’ today, so I went with it:

It’s a cube with a boolean difference creating a long square hallway. Then the cube is deformed with a lattice, twisting the tunnel. The crazy crystal teeth things are from a musgrave texture displacement.

2 Likes

After watching another of @Mantissa’s great videos (thanks for putting them out!), I was inspired to try playing with hair. Some goofing around, and I decided to go for underwater tentacles.

Not super-thrilled with the results, but it was neat to play with :).

A test render I saved along the way:

And a really early fast test. I lost several of the appealing features of this render along the way, which is sad.

2 Likes

Some beautiful images I will keep an eye on your scetchbook :slight_smile:

1 Like

Playing around in the shader editor today, and made a fantasy style mountain landscape with displacement. I couldn’t come up with a decent way to fake erosion, so I decided to try importing it into Gaea and back into Blender. I hadn’t tried this before, and it worked out pretty well.
Here’s a shot with the heightmap from blender:

Here’s the same shot with the heightmap after erosion in Gaea (no additional modifications to the shader). I don’t have the paid version, so this is limited to 1k resolution:

1k is fine for background mountains, but anything in the mid or foreground needs way more resolution.

So here I simply averaged the two heightmaps, which worked better than I figured it would. I suspect there are better ways to combine them, and I’ll be exploring that! I’ll also mess with the material shader.

Lastly, an areal view (a top-down orthographic camera):

I followed this up on a WIP thread
And the Finished Project

4 Likes

Stumbled upon something interesting while searching around with F3. There’s function “Contour Curves”. No idea where it is in the menus, and I can’t find it in the manual. While I was digging around looking for it, I found that the Tissue addon has one as well, although they appear to be slightly different (at least the dialog is different).
So this lets you take a weight map and generate contours (like on a topo map if your weight map contains height information) where the values are the same.
Tissue also has streamlines, which appears to follow the gradient. I’m not finding much documentation, so I’m just poking at it.
Here’s a quick demo. The default ANT landscape (at 256 resolution) with slope, curvature, and altitude masks calculated in Scatter. Those weight maps are then used in Tissue to create contour and streamline curves. The emissive curves are based on the altitude map, and the glossy curves are contours on the curvature map (and maybe the slope, I don’t remember).

Posting this here so I can reference it when I forget. Maybe it’ll help someone else too :).

1 Like

2 Likes

More fun with mountains and clouds.

4 Likes

“What’s the clearance on that cart? I don’t think it’ll survive the trip to the top… maybe we need a lift kit.”

Playing with ideas. This is as close as they could get the lander due to the rugged terrain, so have to hike to the mountain to collect something.
Showing off my lack of hard-surface skills :).

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’m trying to make time to participate in the weekend challenges, and would like to also have the renders here in my sketchbook.

“Suzanne, Fuchsia, and the Default Cube”
Suzanne in the Garden

: “Colossal”
Thunderstorm

“An Accident”
Please, Don’t Run!

1 Like

Time for a Rorschach test. What do you see?

4 Likes

chrome humanoid robot. or reflective space suit. from a 45 angle looking down at it.

1 Like

I was playing around with simple curves, because they’re something I don’t use much. I made a Rhomb curve with auto handles, and squished it along the x axis a bit. So it is just an ellipse, really. Then a little offset and bevel with a profile. The material is transparent with a little metallic, and it is lit with a very red sky from the Nishita sky texture.
The I flew around until something caught my eye. And it does seem that whenever you have symmetry down the center it is very easy to see faces!

1 Like

i see apocalypse from x-men

1 Like

A simple three sided glass prism in geometry nodes, with a silly procedural world shader for lighting and background.

1 Like

Made some time to play today:

I think I like the blue one a little bit more…

6 Likes

looks awesome! I prefer the red one…

1 Like

and i the blue one

1 Like