Summer Evening - Geometry Nodes Scene

I’m working on developing a style that’s taking advantage of the new Geometry Nodes tools. Super powerful already and only going to improve. There’s really no way that I would be able to have made this previously. This image is just the render with some colour grading, all the smudges and dust etc are in the scene.

It does still take a little bit of coaxing and being able to work around the maths to get Geo nodes to bend to your will but once you have made some presets it gets a lot easier.

For anyone interested in workflow here, it’s a Suzanne that has the modifier on it. I modelled 1 daisy, 3 chrysanthemum, and 2 foxglove petals and they are instanced using a Phyllotaxic spiral to create the flowers. Each flower is made individually as its own object so that I can instance them on the main tree in the basket.

Things like the basket, vase, scissors, shovel handle are all just a line manipulated in geo nodes with maths and have an icosphere instanced on it.

The sheets hanging at the back are just a grid primitive node with some maths and the blanket on the table is another grid that is folded with my attribute vector rotate node. If I wasn’t trying to be a purist then I might recommend doing this as a cloth sim instead :sweat_smile:

The dust is a 60x60x60 grid with randomised positions and a little dust particle instanced on it. This worked really well as it caught the light properly rather than trying to do it in post. This does give extra denoising artefacts but I’m aiming for a painterly style here so I’m not against that.

There are addition screen space smudges added as well which are just planes in the scene with a special refraction shader setup on them. This helps lose some edges like you can see on the vase and grating on the left of the shot.

This image is the one Suzanne object with her node tree:

Really excited for where geometry nodes is going and the opportunities that it opens up for us! Already I think it fits into a bunch of workflows and it is possible to make a workflow out of it entirely if you’re a bit math savvy. Within the next few months to a year I think it’ll also get a huge amount more accessible as well.

Hope you like this one!

UPDATE:
Here is the full process of creating the render with ongoing narration throughout so there should be some useful titbits in there!

Here is a timelapse with some thoughts:

The final file is available on Patreon (for free):

141 Likes

I :heart: it. Very creative use of Geo Nodes. I really hope the Blender staff agrees to use this as the 2.93 splash screen.

6 Likes

Thanks so much, Metin! Would be amazing to see that happen! I’m just super grateful for the devs putting together these tools - it brings a whole new level of enjoyment to creating work like this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Are you kidding?! This is amazing. This is next level craft.

1 Like

Can you post the Workbench render with Suzanne but with the nodes not on (not visible)?

1 Like

Thanks so much, John!

1 Like

Hopefully a video will suffice!

5 Likes

Suzanne never looked so pretty!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the Blender Nation feature and the #featured row! :smiley:

2 Likes

Good grief it looks like Blender has finally made it to the big leagues. It is downright impressive how you managed to create all of that with an incomplete system (which strongly depends on the build you are using).

That is some hardcore noodling based on that setup, I can see why you invested so heavily in creating node groups.

2 Likes

I heard the great news! Congrats!

4 Likes

Thanks so much! Making the nodegroups honestly is what made this possible at all. I love the low level nodes Blender provides as they give so much flexibility but when you’re actually working on a project, it’s complete tools you want to be working with.

Thank you so much Zorro!

1 Like

It’s been taking me a while to wrap my brain around the new attribute system blender is using. Any suggestions on how to effectively learn and understand it?

1 Like

It is a tricky and unintuitive system so I’m looking forward to more UX developments for that. Essentially though it’s just a way to declare variables in which to store data, some of which get’s read as transforms if you use specific attribute names. Even now I still get tripped up by float vs vector attributes :sweat_smile:

Hate to recommend my own videos but there’s a video that’s still somewhat relevant on this here:

1 Like

Thank you so much! That was incredibly useful. I had looked at other people’s tutorials before, and while they were good, they were in the basic form of: add grid>point distribute>point instance>done. Your tutorial was actually useful in the fact that you showed how to use attributes. I’m starting to like them more and more now that I understand them, and actually have made something practical with them.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with recommending your own video :wink: . I was looking for an answer that would help me out, and you gave a a detailed 20 minute one!

I actually first saw you first in your live interview with Chris Baily. And I was like, he would know how I could easily get into geometry nodes, why don’t I ask.

2 Likes

I might be blind but where is the download for the scene? Is it out yet? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The 2.93 files will be released with 2.93 stable!
For now you can grab it for free on my Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/blender-2-93-50582398

4 Likes