What to do about the new Left-clic select topic?

Split from

This split topic is temporary and will be deleted after final decision.

I think Ace Dragon’s topic has become quite messy by now. I know the title and first post are not giving a very clear idea of what it invites us to talk about but it seems that the best way to stay on topic would be too keep it to the details of the LCS implementation (what could be improved, what’s missing, etc…).
If you want to debate about other subjects, please create a new topic.

1 Like

Manually moving or removing all the off-topic posts would be quite time consuming but if you want me or other mods to do it, like this comment. There are 84 users in the topic so I’ll say 5 likes seems like a fair threshold.

1 Like

@Piotr_Adamowicz: Sure enough… but frankly whilst I’ve seen several people give up on Blender due to the interface, I’ve not seen anyone give up on DCC applications in general - merely look at / return to another that offers the functionality they need.

@ChameleonScales: If the title and first post are not giving a strict direction on what to talk about, why is it we cannot talk about what we have been? Not trying to cause waves, I just don’t see any issues with this given @brecht already gave us a link for more focused feedback that will be paid attention to on the subject of “what could be improved, what’s missing, etc”. It’s not like the other mods haven’t been engaging us on other things here either.

It has gone wildly off topic. It initially started with blender now chaning RMB to LMB as default.

Because even though it’s not cristal clear, it still has a direction that I think many turned away from in their posts.

brecht did this because he couldn’t handle the fact that the topic went in other directions, which means something isn’t quite right (and that’s partly the mods fault). BA should still be a place where we focus on subjects and keep things organized, to not bother those who subscribed to a topic and to improve searchability of issues.

That seems true and although I haven’t read the whole thread I’m not sure it was a great idea to be honest.
That’s not to say you can’t discuss about what you want, just do it in the right topics and create new ones when needed.

i intentionally tried to drive the thread off topic because it got so toxic to the point where we recieved a total of 15+ flags over the course of 2 days, despite the thread being open for a week.

That was objectively a bad decision!
The old forum had this sort of problem throughout. If someone didn’t like the discussion, it was a no brainer to derail it which ultimately lead to a closed thread. The result was that constructive discussions could not take place.
If there are too many flags and the discussion can not be kept civil, shut it down. But don’t intentionally derail it!

Edit: Flagged as off-topic as it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic!

We’ve already discussed shutting down the thread, and in my opinion i think its the best solution. But derailing the conversation was a great way to ease the flame. and it worked.

Let me get this straight. We’re getting one mod tell us we need to keep this on topic because off-topic is bad… with the other stating that he was deliberately derailing it off-topic? Yeah, you’re right, @ChameleonScales - that would definitely be the mod’s fault.

Clearly it did not, as @ChameleonScales is in here trying to clean up the mess, not to mention that in your zeal, you started imagining content in people’s posts so you could get rid of them.

No other moderator was online at the time, and had not been on for quite some time. I held of dealing with the remaining flags until staff/other moderators came online so we could decide what to do. In the meantime however, i did not want the thread to keep going the way it was. A quick fix, you may call it. Its not correct to drive a thread off topic, but in that specific scenario i made an exception.

Isn’t one important part of a moderators’ work to make the life of trolls more difficult? Showing them strategies is definitely not a good solution in the long run!

Edit: It is not my intention to attack you personally at all! If those old times come back, I am going to leave even though I really like the new forum!

I did, and they took it very personal, to the point where i wanted to silence the user. But ive not been a moderator for a long time so i wanted input form other staff members first before taking drastic actions.

Hard to imagine why someone might take something personally when a moderator is derailing a thread, making arguments of their own, and then flicking posts that disagree with them on some imagined contrivance (yet continuing to argue their view in the thread).

You say you’e been a moderator for only a short time. I’ve done the gig before and you have some sympathy from me because it is a thankless job most of the time. With that said, you need to be above reproach in your decisions otherwise you end up just being seen as an online bully. Deliberately derailing a thread is pretty bad. Arguing with people on a subject and then flicking them when they disagree, within the arbitrary bounds you set, is worse.

I didnt flag you for disagreeing, i had no opinion on the topic at the time. All i asked you to do was to keep opinions as opinions, and not claim one is better than the other, stating that it boils down to preference.

You may argue in favour of one, and state benefits and downside to each, in which case you can have an intellectual discussion around the subject, but that is not possible when people just throw “no im better!” back and forward. I think you intentionally called one objectively better than the other to prove your point, but since that is the one thing i asked you not to do, i took action. My intention was never to silence you form the discussion, only change you approach.

And the reason i did all this was because we had been receiving a lot of flags and complaints regarding some of the arguments that were being thrown around.

So after the backlash i decided to wait for other moderators inputs before taking further action, so i did my best to ease the flame in the meantime.

By the way, this is again derailing, so i wish to end this discussion as soon as possible, so say your last words if you wish, but lets be done with it.

I still ask that everyone keep things subjective.

Brilliant idea. Alright let the discussion continue, here i dont mind what goes on.

The problem points to an underlying problem with the new forum structure. It seems to me that threads mutate to mega-threads and those move with higher speed and get emotionally hot.
Instead of trying to suppress them their energy needs to be managed. From an logical standpoint, derailing them is an option but not always a good one.

As I have repeatedly pointed out - I never claimed one was objectively better than the other. None of my posts stated that. You made that up. Which is why I am pissed off about it. You decided to flick my post based on something I didn’t say, something you had to actually imagine / make up because it wasn’t in my post.

And, frankly, it is difficult to accept your statement regarding why you flagged me when you had to make stuff up about what I said in order to have it fall outside your stated guidelines.

Well, sorry, but I objectively did not say what you claimed I said.

Finalbarrage:
When using a tablet i use the outliner to select my objects…

BTolputt:
Which is objectively harder than clicking on the object right there under your mouse/pen position (as is most often the case when it is the object you just navigated the screen to).

Here are your words.

Now point to the part that says that left mouse select is “objectively better”. Shouldn’t be hard given that’s what you said I couldn’t do and why you flicked the post.