The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

My guess would be a bug related to the Sculptris topology present. I’ve often noticed weird results on certain topology. There are definitely new bugs in more recent versions of ZRM that were never there in older versions.

1 Like

We might have ourselves a new auto-retopology benchmark here. :elephant: :laughing:

5 Likes

What happens if you remesh it twice? (First one with higher polycount). Just to see if its
the shape or the polys are causing this.

Here’s a ZRemesher 2022 auto-retopo with 20000 polygons in stead of the 5000 I used in all four previous auto-retopos (though the non-absolute poly count in the results have probably resulted in a poly count difference).

Even with four times as much polygons the trunk still shows topology flow stretching to compensate for the relatively detailed creases.

Apart from this result, I’ve also tried using the polypaint function of ZRemesher to indicate where more detail is needed, but that also didn’t give a satisfactory result.

1 Like

Yes its indeed still there. What I would find more interesting is, what happens to the mesh dristribution if you remesh eg this 20k to 5k now?

20K ZRemeshed twice:

20K then 5K:

I guess this means that @Musashidan has a point regarding the triangular topology interfering with the result, but Quad Remesher doesn’t have problems with the same triangles.

3 Likes

Is the model available to download?

Yep I think so too, seems some details of the implementation differ. :thinking:

Added two more matcaps to my links; Gold_GlowHighlight and GreySubsurface_RedGlowRimlight, the latter of which I credit its design to a friend of mine, HugeMalaka.

The reason I added another grey matcap was because I thought it would be cool to have an alternative that emulates a bit of subsurface scattering with a more evil look. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Without the polycount actually being the same, this is very misleading though. The left two results are clearly almost twice as high in polycount, going off of relative quad size…

The polygon count difference is predominantly optical because of the differing polygon distribution between the methods. The resulting polycount of ZRemesher and Quad Remesher does deviate a bit from the input value, but not a lot, and I’ve used the same poly count for each variation.

I find that hard to believe, unless there’s just three times as much geometry spent on the ass :wink:
What are the actual polycounts, not the inputs?

Hey, this is about trunks not asses.

1 Like

I haven’t saved the retopologized models. :slightly_smiling_face: But what counts is that I used the same poly count input value of 5000. I don’t mind if the resulting polygon count differs, it’s about the fact that each of the four ZRemesher variations show polygon stretching where fine detail is present, even with a higher poly count input value, while Quad Remesher performs better in that area. Comparing the results, ZRemesher tries to shift and bend edge loops to tackle areas with more detail, while Quad Remesher looks more at global geometry flow features and doesn’t let the topology flow get too distorted by details.

1 Like

Thanks! I might have a request… :slightly_smiling_face:

Really love those two but don’t know which prorgram the artists used or the name of those matcaps.

6 Likes

I’ll see what I can do! When I have the time! :partying_face:

5 Likes

This one looks like it’s using a touch of Zbrush’s fake SSS wax preview

3 Likes

Ah yeah you are probably right.

3 Likes

I’m not 100%, but it looks like it to me.

3 Likes

Tried working a bit on that mud matcap during the day. I downloaded one of your sculpts and put it on. These were the results:

My conclusion of my experiment is that I can only push this so far. The reference material actually has proper shadow casting and ambient occlusion, so besides colour it is going to be next to impossible to get a material that is going to emulate all the subtleties of the render. If you think it’s good enough just let me know and I’ll upload it.

6 Likes