The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

You are not forced to use it.
The tool is there for people suffering of an annoying delay while switching modes, because of a very high polycount.

There is a Scene Project brush able to do that, in Sculpt-Dev branch.

1 Like

Canā€™t it be optional, since this is how a transform gizmo usually works?
Iā€™m used to see the entire gizmo when transforming in other 3d apps, and I like itā€¦
To me they are like ā€œguidesā€ and sometimes they help align thingsā€¦

Iā€™d say, better keep the standards, then add unconventional stuff as optionsā€¦

4 Likes

@Julien_Kaspar
Same thought here, especially for rotations and I think that having it visible helps subconsciously for hand eye coordination to do different consecutive drags faster.

(This is also most apparent for the rotation gizmo, where you dont get any transitional feedback for the other axes without)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Some progress in the panels:

13 Likes

I will do that. I try to avoid filing bugs that are not clear bugs, or stuff about tools behavior generally because they are tagged as not a bug which makes sense, but it becomes a waste of time. I can tag you in the report.

It would be really great if the brush feel is also consistent across all brushes so that the artist knows what to expect when it comes to how brush travels and affects the surface. All brushes should feel like they are acting on the same type of matter.

Another thing that is really needed is min/max pressure controls for the brush size and the strength.

I also would like to ask for a feature request with the mesh filter brush. It would be so great if the ā€œrandomā€ noise has a size and roughness control. It randomizes every vertex, which is good for some subtle stuff but not so good for daily use. Yes I know I can use a disp mod, or geonodes or write a py code to add randomization but that should not be needed for quick deformation while being in the sculpt mode.

4 Likes

where is the how-to docs on how to use these? Iā€™ve seen this mentioned over a long period of time and stil donā€™t know what itā€™s supposed to do and how.

Anyone remember how the 2.79 version of The Donut Tutorial went in depth into how Blenderā€™s UI worked? I need something like that for the sculpting system. I donā€™t want to ā€œlearn how to sculptā€. I want to learn how everything in the system works. THEN I might be willing to spend some time learning how to sculpt. I know near zero about any of the stuff Pablo Dobarro added on top of not really understanding that system before those additions. And Iā€™m not talking about ā€œlets spend 40 minutes going to each brush and making a strokeā€. Iā€™ve watched a bunch of those and itā€™s not really the info I feel Iā€™m missing.

1 Like

Stuff from sculpt dev are not officially released, so no docsā€¦ :thinking:

But you can see how the scene brush works in this old post :point_down:

1 Like

Texture mesh filter is what you wantā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

https://dev-files.blender.org/file/data/xibndxh6x4cnj4kyb3iv/PHID-FILE-4hgsfodlfw2syvdfn4rx/2019-10-29_18-13-50.mp4

8 Likes

Why isnā€™t this in the main branch? :frowning:

People were afraid because it would still use the old texture systemā€¦

BUT Brecht was positive and said:

still, somehow the review process never happenedā€¦ :frowning:

Someone needs to pick it up, I guessā€¦

7 Likes

We need it that is for sure. Thanks for bringing it up, I even liked the patch back then. I hope that @Julien_Kaspar would be interested in mentioning it in one of the sculpt meetings.

4 Likes

I need something like that for the sculpting system. I donā€™t want to ā€œlearn how to sculptā€. I want to learn how everything in the system works. THEN I might be willing to spend some time learning how to sculpt.

@thinsoldier To get a high level overview I put together the new user manual introduction. If there is any information/use cases or important showcases missing in there or anything could be elaborated, let me know.
I would love this to become a reliable ā€œsource of truthā€ to understand the system and how everything fits together. For that this needs regular feedback between devs and artists :slight_smile:

About the Texture mesh filter, it looks like this needed some more work. If a developer would be willing to pick the patch up and go through some more iteration we could get this into Blender.
Not sure what happened with the review. I assume that there were some conversations in on the other official channels instead.

11 Likes

Does this require UVs? Does this require not having UVs?

Iā€™d really like a UV mapped image as mask based workflow so I can do this in Blender in a manner that feels more natural/intuitive:

4 Likes

By reading the patchā€™s description it seems like it uses some kind of cubemap projectionā€¦ so no uvs support yetā€¦
But yeah, uvs would be great thereā€¦

Great dead patchā€¦ ::sob:

1 Like

If that kind of mapping was supported in sculpt mode, that would be interesting for brushes, too.

Currently, it is possible to bake an UV image to a Color Attribute and then, to use Mask from Color tool.
But that will not work on geometry generated by a multires modifier.
Baking is limited to base mesh geometry.

1 Like

I think, at this point, node group operators (registering geometry nodes as operators in various modes) coming to Sculpt mode will solve this and more.

https://dev-files.blender.org/file/data/zwzfb2hfwhox6odsilrb/PHID-FILE-gdfd5q7bxp6olulrity7/2022-07-19_13-09-26.mp4

3 Likes

Using a displacement modifier works alright for these sot of things, but would be great to have something inside sculpt mode/mesh filters as well for this.

Now that you are talking about masking, it would be nice to have a bevel mask for the new texturing in the automasking as base to add edge wear and things like that, I think this is the most common set-up, Iā€™m not sure about the noise texture ā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks for opening the thread :smiley: