The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

for UV stretching there was https://archive.blender.org/developer/D15195 it is complete and works it was originally supposed to come out in 2016 there was a talk about it and everything but the original dev dropped it.

The dev of UVpackmaster (I think it’s them) had picked it up and finished it but once again it seems like a patch that will be forgotten about.

4 Likes

Seem nice… Could try to relax UVs with a VDM…

Is there a build to download somewhere ?

1 Like

seems it was https://uvpackmaster.com/slim/, as far is i know there isn’t and the dev has not uploaded it to the new git system so im not sure if it’s even possible currently to make your own build.

1 Like

I know some of you guys don’t like buying addons but the only other thing that has a smooth is zenUV not sure if anyone has it or has tried it.

1 Like

Thx for the infos !

1 Like

if you mean the relax island tool in zenUV, it seems to work really well for the tip, but it doesn’t respect pins so the base gets distorted

3 Likes

Hi. I’ve noticed a bug (?) happening with recent versions of blender. I think picture will explain it best. I used a grab brush here, it is an issue with every brush, but with grab or snake hook it is most visible. It looks like I am pulling a piece of geometry with not enough resolution on it, but thats not the case, remeshing is not helping either. This happens randomly, affects every object in the file and wont go away. I have to basically copy all the objects to new blender file to fix it. Do anyone have an idea what may cause this?

Yeah this is happening with the current dyntopo, and also with new automasking options …

1 Like

Looks also like the clay strips brush artefacts with dense meshes.

@fr002 I’ll try your emthod of remeshing and uwnrapping for VDM brush creation too. Thanks for testing that workflow!

@Lamia Thanks for sharing the Info on UV stretching. I’ll forward that to the devs and see if this can be prioritized to VDM creation easier in Blender without addons.

@czerw Can you report this bug? I didn’t notice this yet.

1 Like

Any chance there’s a faint mask on there? I know there are a few operations that can leave faint traces of one, and it’s not immediately apparent.

Nice additions by Joe.

The patches also enable the repeat last function (Shift-R) for them.

edit: just to make sure, patches for redo panels are for 3.6. Trim UI patch is for 3.5.

12 Likes

No, there is no mask there. It affects most/all brushes and all objects in the scene. Similar thing also happen when you lock an axis in sculpt mode and forget about it, but that is not it this time either.

1 Like

Does the problem eventually reoccur in the new blender file if you’ve been working in it long enough?

1 Like
nevermind, it was the quad remesher addon

What is ctrl+alt+r in sculpt mode called?

The remesh button says:

But ctrl+alt+r seems to apply or delete the multirest modifier and then run the remesh. I don’t see ctrl+alt+r in the menus anywhere though. Using 3.4.1

Take any mesh and turn it into a VDM !

I tried to make a ‘‘one-click’’ solution to bake VDM brush with Geometry node :slight_smile:
But it didn’t really work-out :confused:

Mostly because after the remesh, the material and UV map are gone (obvious ! but it took me some time to realise what whas going on), so that complicate the step a bit :smiley:

There is still a lot of click involve, but with a bit of practice, it can take only a few second.
*notice the mokey ear at the end, that is because I should have ‘‘un-stretch’’ the geo…

Here is how to do it :

1. Import your mesh
  2. Select your mesh in ‘‘join cube’’ GN modifier
  3. Make a copy of the object
  4. Apply first 3 modifier, delete last 2
  5. Go inside sculpt mode, use ‘‘box face set’’ brush and ‘‘edit face set’’ use the Fair Position
  6. Inside the ‘‘Baking’’ GN modifier, select your faired mesh
  7. Use Factor to see the result ! And set factor a 0
  8. Apply first 3 modifiers (Join Cube, Remesh, Delete Bottom)
  9. Because of the remesh, we lost material and UVs, recreate them again on the object
  10. Bake !

Here to download the file

Easy, no :wink:

Basically it merge your sculpt (or any model) with a cube, remesh, delete the bottom and calculate the difference in position from the ‘‘faired’’ plane.

11 Likes

I like the approach of automating some steps with geo nodes!

2 Likes

I don’t think I had it returning after moving everything to a new file. I’d say it is pretty rare, It happened to me maybe 5 times past last year. But it is really annoying when it happens and you have to move your whole scene out to a new file.

Hey, does anyone know the developers reasons for making Multires level 0 always stay the same? Is it a technical limitation? A requirement for some kind of other functionality (maybe armatures)? Is it just because it’s a modifier and they’re supposed to revert to the original mesh when removed?

I remember there was discussion about this when Multires was being fixed a few years ago and whether to keep it as a modifier, but I can’t find it now.

3 Likes

Yes. That’s it.
But in theory, if you want to apply changes to basemesh without removing multires modifier, you can, by pressing Apply Base button under Shape sub-panel.

In practice, that may not be result you expect if you created subdivisions of Simple or Linear type.

3 Likes