The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Building presets, like building brushes libraries, is a task for artists rather than developers.

To build libraries, you need freedom to build your ideal custom brushes.
For that, you need satisfying exposed brush settings.
For that, developers need to know what settings should be exposed.
Then, when it is established. Default presets for most uses can be can chosen.

But presets are the last step of process.
Because, each time, you decide to expose a new setting, you have to define a new preset and it is a new opportunity to choose to conform to previous preset behaviour or to improve brush by default behaviour.

So, the best way to avoid to redo presets, at each new release, is to try to establish what is the range of brush settings wanted for a type of brush and what are the type of brushes wanted.
We cannot expect developers to guess that right.
Sculpt-dev branch is the opportunity to say to them what in current brush system should be exposed and what is not useful to us.
I donā€™t need pressure settings for Auto Face Set feature. But it may be interesting for Auto-Smooth.

Dyntopo settings per brush, is something I requested since Dyntopo introduction.
That is precisely what I need to build a satisfying library of Dyntopo brushes.
Because, I would not use same brush preset working, at a high level, of a multires modifier and in Dyntopo mode, at a high detail size to obtain a similar brush stroke effect.
When mesh density is different, when topology is made of triangles instead of quads, you canā€™t use same radius, same spacing, same strength to obtain same sculpt effect.
The same way that you donā€™t use same tools to sculpt rock, than the one you use to sculpt clay.
There is not an universal tool that works the same whatever the worked matter is.

Yeah, Iā€™m not expecting the devs to build custom brushes, although Joe will know better than anyone what each option can do.

Have you read the latest module meeting notes? Theyā€™ll probably make you happy :grin:

Looks like theyā€™ll start working on it soon.

11 Likes

Developers know what options are doing.
But there is a turnover and they can forget.
And they always doubt if options present are used and considered useful by users.

If no user is talking about a feature. That may be because there is absolutely no problem with it.
But developers are mainly solving bugs and trying to develop new workflows.
So, there are developer biases.
They can decide to get rid of a feature that is used by some people, to let place to a new work, if they forget to cover a large audience in their survey.

On the other hand, users donā€™t respond enough to developers requests for feedback, because they think that they are smart guys that will figure it out, by themselves. Or the call for feedback was not widely shared. And they end up surprised when announced feature does not correspond to what they thought.

Master will never not look like sculpt-dev branch.
They created a temp-sculpt-brush-channel branch to make a simplified version of sculpt brushes UI that should end up in master.
I did not have time to test it, yet.
But I gave a lot of feedback on sculpt-dev branch.

So, for the last time, I encourage any sculpt mode user to try to build his ideal brushes in sculpt-dev branch, and then to give feedback to Joe Eager or Julien Kaspar.
Tell them what brush setting (absent from master) is a ā€œmust haveā€ for you.

3 Likes

Sure we can survive with tricks, but thatā€™s the point, when you do it like that itā€™s like youā€™re not using dynamic topology at allā€¦ I just want to turn it on and forget itā€¦ heheheā€¦
There were rumors that the ā€œnewā€ dyntopo had a much better performance in some separate branch, but then it became slower again when it was merged into the sculpt dev branchā€¦ weird stuffā€¦ I hope they find out whyā€¦

I actually would like to see multires support localized subdivisions like zbrushā€¦

Yeah, not everything is perfect in zbrushā€¦

I want all the settings heheheā€¦ you never know when youā€™ll need themā€¦

2 Likes

I just read this:

• Brush picker in sidebar
    With the removal of brushes from the toolbar, we need a new interface to access the global brush library. A brush selector based on the pose library in the sidebar is the first step for this.

And this is a disaster, imhoā€¦
Wowā€¦

1 Like

ZeeBeeā€™s SnakeHook works better when you activate AccuCurve by the way. You can make nice spiraling shapes when brushing in a repeated circular motion with AccuCurve activated.

5 Likes

I prefer working this way even outside of performance issues, enter dyntopo, add some more polygons at places where I want more detail, exit dyntopo and sculpt.

2 Likes

Yes. Brush assets thumbnails should not be in sidebar.
If it is in Tool tab, it means more scrolling.
If it is its own tab, it means constant tab switching to access add-ons buttons, brush or view properties.

2 Likes

Would need to see some visuals, but yes, seems like a horrible decision.

Iā€™m not a big fan of the idea of using the asset browser for brushes either.

5 Likes

Probably this makes sense to have it in the asset browser, zbrush has basically the same thing in its ā€œlightboxā€ tab

1 Like

Zbrush also has a convenient, easily accessible brush menu on the left. (Or wherever you choose to put it when tailoring the UI to your needs)

Not once have I used the lightbox for brushes when doing everyday work, for me thatā€™s more something for finding brushes I donā€™t normally use.

5 Likes

Yeah for the same thing should be used the asset browser, to easily add custom brushes/alphas, textures that you rarely use on work, and have the ā€œdefaultā€ menu of default brushes (which already blender has that but in the right panel instead)

5 Likes

Iā€™m also all for pie menus. There are some good addons, but it would have been cool to see that GSOC custom menu see make it into master one day.

What Iā€™m wondering though is what the toolbar should be used for, if not for brushes. Some mockups would be cool.

5 Likes

The right panel definitely needs some improvements regarding addons ordering and hiding they all clutter the UI with too many add-ons, even though there are add-ons such as simple tabs that somewhat fixes this but that should be something by default damn it XD :sob:

Yeah i now rely on pie menu editor for modelling operations, and custom shortcuts for most tools i use, even though I used to hate pie menus but then i just got used to them and noticed how it improved my workflow speed and improving certain hotkeys or menus that i hate having to move the mouse cursor so far to activate something or thingies that canā€™t be done by default in blenderā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d like it to become a customizable toolbar where you would add brushes from the brush menu/paletteā€¦ along the lines of this mockup by @ThinkingPolygons

Nice and simpleā€¦ :wink:

11 Likes

Yep, thatā€™d be ideal. Iā€™d very much prefer this solution. Even leaving it as it is now seems better than having an asset browser open all the time.

Iā€™d also put that dynamic brush preview thing on hold for now, with so many outstanding issues being way more important. Thatā€™s just me though.

4 Likes

I totally agree!

1 Like

Because there are more than brushes in toolbarā€¦
Ideally, in sculpt mode, I would like a toolbar made of 4 tabs.
One tab for built-in brushes.
One for filters.
One for other tools.
One with chosen brush library + filtered tools + pinned filters.

In middle of header of 3D View, I would add brush library selector + icons to filter tools by use ( transform & hide, mask & face sets, trim and project).
I would like most used filters to be present in this tab by a shift click on their button in filter tab.

But because developers renounced to work on toolbar.
I will probably renounce to sculpt in full-screen and prefer to add an asset browser to my workspace instead of using brush selector in sidebar.

1 Like

Great suggestions and feedback but i hope the devs will read along. Probaly good to share mockups, feedback, suggestion in the official Blender chat. (ā€¢) blender.chat

Just as a reminder. :slightly_smiling_face: :wave:

edit: Itā€™s about time.

One day we will have more people working on sculpt mode - i have faith.

15 Likes