The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

I haven’t tried the May25 build, but on the one before that (can’t remember the date) the remeshing doesn’t create so much stretched triangles. It can still mess up the topology/form sometimes but I think it’s getting closer to old dyntopo, and the performance is pretty good.

+10 for this. I was thinking the same, separate toggles for collapse/subdivide would be very helpful!

5 Likes

That is currently the case in sculpt dyntopo branch.

No Dyntopo is a global toggle for the brush.
But, in Dyntopo panel, there is a blue button at the end of each setting.
That button is unifying the setting through all brushes. If this button is disabled for one setting, the value becomes proper to brush.
So, you can already set some brushes with Subdivide ON and Collapse OFF, others with Subdivide OFF and Collapse ON, others with both settings enabled and others with both settings disabled.

4 Likes

You can already toggle subdivide and collapse separately for dynotopo:

3xc

Is this what you are looking for ? I am guessing you want that setting per brush?

3 Likes

Uh I didn’t knew the blue buttons had that purpose, hadn’t even tried them because I thought they were just an UI quirk hehe. Not very intuitive right now.

That’s good to know, but I think those 2 toggles should be more visible/important on the Brush settings, instead of the general dyntopo settings

1 Like

Ok I just did a quick test and can confirm that all these buttons switch between Global/Per Brush but the tooltip only says “Inherit”, that’s a weird explanation for what they do, or at least it is to me not being a native english speaker hehe.
Anyway I’m glad that’s possible now, and personally I’d suggest to make them Per Brush by default (Unchecked), and keep the Collapse toggle unchecked for brushes that are tipically used to add detail on the surface, like Crease, Pinch or even the Snake Hook

Leave Collapse off for Crease

And keep it on for Sculpt Draw

Also, the ability to change the detail size slider per Brush can be very useful!

5 Likes

Is there a way to bake normal map from dynotopo since it now supports uvs without using selected to active? I feel like that should be possible instead of duplicating a second mesh to bake the details, this might not be a big deal until you have a good number of seperate meshes you need to get normal maps from.

I know you can combine them and do that but if you have a naming convention for those meshes, you lose those names, and have to rename them again after separating them and you will have to redo them again if you need to rebake.

Maybe a generate normal map to Sculpt vertex color attribute can be added to Sculpt menu in Sculpt tool for dynotopo? You can generate mask from cavity, maybe a general normal map as vertex color?

EDIT: Also a generate AO and displacement maps to vertex color attribute as well. They can always be baked to uvs later if needed.

6 Likes

I recall there being plans for geometry nodes powered custom brushes or am I misremembering?

Does that mean you will end up getting a bigger boost if you purchase the Ryzen X3D chips instead of the standard ones? It would be nice to see that extra cache go to work for more than just games.

1 Like

Don’t know if this has already been posted, but @Julien_Kaspar has a hotkeys proposal for the Sculpt and Paint Modes, and would appreciate input:

2 Likes

Yes. It was already posted, here, by Julien, when he created the thread on devtalk.
Globally, his proposal was well received.
Nobody seems very annoyed by changes. He made more than 30 changes to keymap to solve conflicts.
And people, who are not off topic, are just only expressing a divergence on one or two preferences.
That looks like a good default.

4 Likes

Sounds good.

9 Likes

Is this related to all of Sculpt Mode or just Dyntopo? Hope it is the former. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Pretty sure the latter. Bmesh is only used by Dyntopo.

(souce)

5 Likes

I can confirm, the latest dyntopo build has a huge performance boost, also the smooth brush doesnt break the mesh anymore.

9 Likes

Just tested the latest build and yes, the performance is much better, except for the smooth brush which still lags sometimes, specially with fast, long strokes. Apart from that this build feels much more snappier :clap: :clap:

8 Likes

The latest dyntopo build creates spikes in the mesh after while smoothing, not all the time, but sometimes.

2 Likes

Hello! This usually happens when you smooth with any symmetry activated. Worth a try deactivating it and trying again.
Also with the axis constraints.
Hope it helps.
Cheers!

3 Likes

I did some tests with a large model
Importing a 1.4Go , 55 Mo poly model in USD in Blender
Blender 3.41 : Instant crash
Blender 3.51 : Can load the model. 2m15 to enter sculpt mode. 55Go ram used. Sculpt is smooth
Blender 4.0 Dyntopo build : 1m30 to enter sculpt mode. 36go ram used. Sculpt is smooth

15 Likes

I tried the new branch and it’s great to sculpt with dyntopo. :relieved:

8 Likes