The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 2)

Here’s a fun little trick using the Transfer to Materials add-on, Quad Remesher, and the improved Dyntopo. You can do quick retopology by painting face set loops, clean the edges so they are smooth with Crease Face Sets, transfer the sets as materials, and then separate the model into separate pieces based on materials.

Once the model is in pieces, you just keep remeshing each piece over and over until you get something close to a clean mesh. After that you can combine all the remeshed pieces back together and you can start cleaning up the mesh so the loops are properly connected to the rest of the mesh.

I tried this on my minotaur sculpt I showed previously and managed to clean stuff up fairly quickly without a big time investment. Also a lot easier to control your loops with Quad Remesher when you let it work in specific areas so it doesn’t try to solve the entire mesh for you.

24 Likes

Anyone having issues sculpting with tiling symmetry on when using dynotopo? The performance tanks seriously. I am using the May 31st experimental build.

That’s likely due to holes created when the “Cleanup” option is used.
Once that’s fixed these spots shouldn’t happen anymore.

2 Likes

Just tried here on the same build and I don’t see a drop in performance, I used the sculpt draw with default settings on a simple subdivided plane and with dyntopo activated, maybe some specific settings are causing the performance issues for you?

2 Likes

One thing that leads to poorer performance right now is the preservation of UV maps.
Removing the UV maps or enabling “Ignore UVs” will drastically improve the performance in some cases.

10 Likes

Today’s dyntopo build crashes when turn on dyntopo.

https://builder.blender.org/download/experimental/blender-4.0.0-alpha+temp-sculpt-dyntopo.21aeab573d4e-linux.x86_64-release.tar.xz

@julperado Thanks for testing. The performance is very noticeable when I make quick fast strokes. Performance is fine unless I turn tiling X and Y on here:
3xc2

@Julien_Kaspar Thanks for the info. I noticed some improvements after I deleted the uvmap.

Spread the news through the digital sculpting circles, it might be what saves the sculpting interest of many as they wonder if they will have to say goodbye to Zbrush for financial reasons (since Maxon wasted no time on ushering in price hikes along with a rental-only model).

55 million polygons is still not what modern ZB can do, but it is stunning just how fast sculpting in Blender is moving forward considering the previous struggles in getting the BF to even notice.

3 Likes

Where can we find the “Transfer to Materials” addon, I’m having trouble finding anything named that

Regarding ZBrush, the financial aspects aside which already deters some, what keeps me away is that only subscribers get access to all features and perpetual users are always one major release behind. Paying Maintenance only gives you bugfixes and security patches but not the already available new features or functionality.

https://support.maxon.net/hc/en-us/articles/8179509152540-Upgrades-for-ZBrush-Subscriptions-vs-Perpetual-Licenses

For Blender @Rimasson thanks for the information, those numbers sound promising for Blender 4.0!

I am a bit unsure how Blender would lack behind since a polygon has at a minimum three sides and thus three vertices. Zbrush has points which is Vertices for Blender.
55Million polygons should then be 165Million Vertices which is imo plenty enough for most current works?

3 Likes

Only if all those tris were disconnected from oneanother :slightly_smiling_face:. Else the numbers get a little fuzzy (depending on weather dealing with a topological sphere (=no boundaries), a topological torus (=no boundaries), a topological disc (=boundaries) and also the average vertex valence).

greetings, Kologe

3 Likes

yeah, polygons aren´t used for comparisons.

Polygons Vs. Triangles
Polygons are always converted into triangles when loaded in a game engine.
If you’re using a polygon counting tool in your modeling app, it’s best to switch it to count triangles so you’re using the same counting method everyone else is using.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polygon
A polygon can be made up of 1 or more triangles.
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polygon_Count

Triangle
A triangle is a polygon with three verts. Triangles are the simplest type of polygon in 3D modeling.

14 years ago this was the best explanation about polygons.

5 Likes

Im testing today’s Dyntopo build, and it works great, but when I remesh without Paint Mask activated, and turn on Dyntopo again and then try to sculpt, the mesh explode.

1 Like

Does anyone know of any way (maybe some addon or outisde app) I could replicate Zbrush’s Shift+S “screenshot” (I know it’s not exactly that, but bear with me) inside Blender? It’s a hell of a tool to be able to quickly generate a “screenshot” that stays on the viewport until you clean it, to check how the new iterations on the model and compare to previous ones (without relying too much on Ctrl+Z, which in Blender is way too slow). So far the closest thing I have is using Pureref.

1 Like

I just had the same issue, I was able to remesh again by deleting the color attributes.

1 Like

In 3.6 on windows you can take a screenshot via Windows itself and open an image editor in blender and paste the screenshot directly into blender.

if you want the screenshot in the 3d viewport you can drag and drop the image icon from the top of the image editor window into the 3d viewport to get an reference image empty object.

5 Likes

If blender does not freeze during too much time, it looks like a Ctrl Z can remove the issue.
Then, a Sculpt menu > Rebuild BVH, after entering Dyntopo mode, can prevent the issue to reappear.

It looks like an automatic BVH rebuilding at Dyntopo mode activation was removed.
But a manual one, makes the build usable.

I wonder, why not just duplicate the collection and switch between them to compare?
Having a full 3d reference to compare too might be better than a 2d screenshot?

2 Likes

I just tried the latest build and the mesh explodes on the first stroke with Dyntopo enabled, hitting Ctrl+Z sometimes work and sometimes crashes Blender.

Basically, whatever points are displayed in Zbrush will be double that in triangles in Blender. Every time.

1 Like