Tools for curves

Hi Mackraken,

thanks for this wonderful tool.

I hope you will find an employment soon!

Dito

Hi Mackraken,
if possible,it is useful if last entered fillet value is retained instead of default.Best wishes for your job search!

Im not sure, what do u mean by fillet value?

Im not sure, what do u mean by fillet value?

sorry,please ignore it ,posted it in wrong thread.

I’m working with Blender about year already but did not know that it has Loft.
When I saw the video that it works my face was

Thank you very much, Mackraken!

@zezic, thanks for reminding me about these tools!

Thanks for the comments, and sry i havent been able to push this further. I could try to rewrite the script for better performance and better driver handling but i dont have the resources to keep this up. Thanks.

Thanks for this fantastic script Mackraken.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work in the 2.6 series. Is anyone else able to update it?

I can still use it in 2.5 series, but it would be nice if it got updated.

Thanks

Yes sry bout that. The script was written before bmesh. It shouldnt be difficult to do the changes, hopefully i can finish some stuff i gotta do and find some time to push this further.

Its cool. Life gets in the way for everyone, it’s just the way it is.

It’s such a great addon, and blender is in dire need of these kind of tools. Quite frankly, it’s one of the few areas where I wonder why it isn’t being actively developed by the blender foundation. Anyway, thanks for the addon, it’s very much appreciated.

Kettle.

i’d love these tools (especially bi rail) in blender 6.x.I haven’t used them yet,but they are much needed,I guess I can download an older version of blender to use them,and the send them to a more recent version when I far enough into the project.

i wish i could spend some time with this script, i had so much fun writting it by being able to use my poor math skills for something useful, but im afraid thats not gonna happen soon without some kind of sponsorship.

Ill try to spend some time with this if im able to finish other projects im working on.

Ty for the comments

ah ok,no probs.

mesh modelling it is then

Yeah, would be nice. It still works fine with 2.58, I found it a bit unstable with 2.59. Just convert to mesh and continue in 2.6x. Mackraken, it’s cool, don’t worry about it. I would be nice if the blender foundation could take the addon and integrate it. You’ve already done the work, but I guess they have other priorities at the moment.

Ultimately I’d love to see blender get spline modelling. Between your addon and the mesh from Bezier addon (I forget who wrote it sorry), it seems tantalisingly close, yet so far.

Thanks for the great addon

Just a quick heads up.

This script kinda works again in 2.68rc1. I say kinda, cause the driven feature doesn’t work for me, but lofting and birail works for curves. :smiley:

Awesome script. This functionality should be built into blender as a native part of the curve editing features though. That way it is accessible for users directly from downloading blender. Maybe the work Mackraken has done here can serve as inspiration for initial implementation.

thank you ejnaren, its a shame that i dont have time to update the scripts to the current blender versions, blender api has changed a lot, which is good, but we also need time to fix them.

The good about the script is that u can loft between beziers and nurbs, it doesnt matter the curve type. The birail and the drivers hack are inspired by Maya.

Yep, nice link/script. Although a little ‘over the top’ (converting the curve to a mesh), it does get the job done, even for nurbs curves. :slight_smile:

i find your addon usefull for some sverchok operations.

Hi lateur.

Yeah, im afraid that the method implemented in Curve Tools was the laziest one, linear split the parametrization of the curve and sum the resulting segments is not the better way.

Unfortunately, i cant think of anything that can integrate a curve. However, you may get better results if you calculate the error of each segment by comparing the derivates (or tangents) of each point to the segment itself. IF the error is too much you can refine the segment into smaller ones until it reachs a tolerance or error value.

With an algorithm like this you would get more splits where the curvature is higher and lower splits when is not. At least thats the idea.