Topogun 3 is coming

After quite a while, the Topogun retopologizing tool will be revived soon with a new version 3.

6 Likes

Why resurrect the dinosaur? lol
Hopefully blender’s retopo tools comes first :wink:

2 Likes

They better have something exceptional in their voodoo coding bag or else people wont trust a software developer that goes away without answering!

2 Likes

I wonder if Topogun 3 will offer an effective auto-retopologizer as well. With tools like QuadRemesher becoming available, retopo is heading more and more towards automation, which is heaven for lazy bastards like me.

1 Like

Let’s be honest here retopology and UV are 2 of the most ridiculous thing in the 3d pipeline in 2019.

The main reason is that software engineers are in severe shortage for the past 15 years.

If we had the software engineers level we had in the 90’s the workflow would have been seriously upgrade.

Many people in studios around the world can tell you that the most common cause for absenteeism is RSI!

3 Likes

I’m eagerly awaiting the first auto-retopologizer based on AI / ML. I think determining optimal quad-polygon structures based on thousands of 3D model inputs would be a great application for AI / ML.

3 Likes

lol :joy:

2 Likes

:grin: Haha, I only now realize that the Topogun name for the application has been a wink to Top Gun all along.

1 Like

hehehe… this revival of the 80s is a panacea

I assume topogun is a dedication to the film as a hymn to speed

1 Like

Nice, one of my favorite retopo tools! Can’t wait to try the beta. I wonder how many people are still using it.

2 Likes

That’s just dope!

2 Likes

Quad Remesher was just released!

Latest preview vid. Looks really nice(it has to be as in all the years he’s been deving this he now has to compete with Wrap 3. :smiley: ) Also, mentions at the end that we’re nearing beta release. :+1:

7 Likes

That patch tool looks amazing.

Wow ! Very very impressive… :o

Indeed it does. This looks like the perfect mix of controlled/automatic topology.

1 Like

hopefully, someone can release a similar addon like the patch tool.

We need to get a little bit more advanced grid fill at least. That can figure out automatically the correct interpolation (surface curve) and also maintain the quad faces as well.

While Topoguns capabilities are great and this is very solid update, i still feel that retopology is the field which will be one of the first to change after deep learning algorithms will come to 3d apps. At one point while watching this vid i even thought that when this app already does so much work for user, why it even needs any user input, at least for such standard scenario as humans head. I can see why, yes. But still in few years such standard scenarios will get one button solutions, i’m sure.

1 Like

I’m also eagerly waiting for an AI / ML retopo algorithm, based on datasets of models with optimal topology for all kinds of shapes.

Until then, Quad Remesher already comes pretty close.