Upbge 0.3 logic nodes requests and bugs

I prefer to get those in a separate thread.

################# BUGS #####################

• Delay timer does not work
  • Time barrier does not work (what is the difference with Delay timer ?)
  • Timer is missing reset and on off inputs
  • car template does not have steering logic node (it can only move forward or backward)
  • Second scene for making GUI like most BGE examples does not work
  • “SetColor” for object data material does not work : TO TEST with latest update

################# REQUESTS #####################

Timer logic nodes add new inputs

• reset
  • activate/deactivate

Physics :

• RigidBody : setup Gravity value

Variables :

Templates nodes ?

• Third person template node with parameters to adjust camera behaviour and clipping and character movement, Fps node , weapons and inventory nodes.

################# REQUESTS IMPLEMENTED #####################
- Learp and interpolate smoothing functions : FIXED
- Vector 3 math logic node : + , - , * , / work with Math logic node

################# BUGS FIXED #####################
- “Print” for debug does not work, nothing is displayed on console : : FIXED
- adding a “Set property” logic node makes teh game no more work : FIXED
- Until an object property is “Set” , it does not exist and makes bug on console also, while it’s already fined : FIXED
- logic node GetProperty value output does not have the right value when the property is a boolean : FIXED
- Math Compare logic node does not work with “get object Property that is float” result that is ok, and compare with second input field float that have a float value like 1.00 : FIXED
- Set Light color : FIXED

• Vector
    For vector math you can use the regular math node, it detects whether the first (or both) parameter is a vector and calculates the result, only thing you can’t do is have the first parameter be a number and the second a vector, but I’ll add simple calculations to the vector math node - which is the second point, lerping (which is (linear) interpolation), is already in there with a factor for interpolating :+1:

• Variables
    You can already build lists and dicts with the node system and save / load them as a variable. If you know how .json files are built, you can even write one yourself with the desired architecture, I plan on expanding the variable system by adding operators to the menu that generate the variables file with the click of a button

• GUI
    This is another bag. Implementing a completely new GUI system would require a lot of work and meddling with existing code. I might take a look at it eventually, but I would not link such a system to nodes per se :man_shrugging:

• BUGS
    The GUI one is because UPBGE 0.3.0 doesn’t allow more than 1 scene anymore, so I’ll have to add overlay collections instead
    The setColor one is on my list already, I think it’s similar to the setLightColor thing I had a few weeks back
    Print and SetProperty should work as intended, tested with latest build of UPBGE :thinking:

For everything else, I shall dig into it :+1:

1 Like

I would think instead ask main developpers to create a new feature :
Ability to let display planes with textures, not affected by lighting and always render on top of the 3D scene.

With print i did see anything on the console view; or there is another console somewhere ?
Each time i added “SetProperty” logic node it makes the game no more run.
i’ll upload a small example you can chek out those issues.

Alright, then I’l see what I can do

there is another console, go to window -> Toggle system console
That’s where the embedded python executes it’s commands

Oh, and it’s a windows only thing, that’s bad :thinking: I’ll check that out

1 Like

That’s exactly what overlay collections do, set the material to emission on 1 and you’re good to go

But how to say to a collection to always display on top of a 3D scene ?
I’ll search tutorials.

the collection actuator has a setting “Add Overlay Collection”, just execute that on init and you have your GUI collection (Make it active, but hidden)

Can you upload a small example ? i tried , but nohting changes adding a new collection with camera and objects and logic bricks with news collection as overlay.

Test.blend (649.8 KB)

It behaves weirdly though

More info here.

Can groups be added, so you can group nodes ?

I added a new bug :
Until an object property is “Set” , it does not exist and makes bug on console also, while it’s already defined for the object logic nodes. Everything works when it’s read after there has been a Setup.

Another bug :
Math Compare logic node does not work with “get object Property that is float” result that is ok, and compare with second input field float that have a float value like 1.00

1 Like

New bug :
The object has boolean property set to false on the item properties window.
When i use GetProperty logic node to get that boolean property with same name, it does not recognize it as boolean and to false.

just tested it, it should work though :thinking:

I also tested the other reports and it seems that everything is working as intended… I now made it so that when using Get Property on a not yet set property, it creates that property first and sets it to None, is that what you meant?

Good, i’ll make a test pass, and send you some Blender file if something does not work instead.

Do you mean making GUI works ? Could you provide an example on logic nodes GitHub ?

About logic nodes , it is possible :

• mix character animations, for example tps game with upper animation while lower animation is walking.
  • attach objects to armature

Could logic nodes provide IK control for character, specially for adapting to terrain or environment slope or it’s too complex and not provided by BGE ?

The property bug, the print works, but having a SetProperty makes an error
(I updated from logic nodes GitHub before )

The blender file
https://ufile.io/d9foj3ag

Ah ok, yeah that’s weird… to set a bool property, you need to check it and then un-check again, otherwise it doesn’t register the FALSE assignment, that’s why the error says “property_value = nothing”, instead of nothing it should say False :stuck_out_tongue: I need to fix this, thanks

Mixing animations can be done by making animations for the top half and the lower half independently, so for one animation, only key the upper body, for the other, key only the lower body, that should allow you to mix these animations together (it worked that way in the old BGE, i didn’t test but I highly suspect this still works)

As for Locomotion, I never tried myself in that before, but it would be sexy to have in there :smiley: I’ll see what I can dig up, but I think the current 0.3.0 has problems with IK in general, as in some test I did it had a serious impact on the Rasterizer, but not in all of them, gotta check what I did there
I’d say Locomotion is not an imminent feature :man_shrugging:

For the GUI I need to update the Add Overlay Node, but I’m having some things on my mind right now, so it could be a few days until I get around to it :confused:

1 Like

For IK , i mean the basic IK.
For example a raycast to ground, and tell foot IK what is the ground position and IK will move IK bones armature to the right position.

About GUI you mean second camera overlay ?
The advantage is scaling up and down resolution is automatic because all text and other UI elements are 3D, but perhaps it has impact on performance because of two cameras ?
Should Upbge devs try open source GUI Api instead and add it on top of 3D render ?

Hm, that IK animation SHOULD be possible… I haven’t tried the Armature Nodes in 0.3 yet but you should be able to address individual bones, and the UPBGE can handle IK rigs, so technically, it should work :thinking: I’mma take a look, I’m intrested in that now :smiley:

There’s not really much calculation being done when adding a second camera, that’s only a problem if that camera has to render an extensive amount of shading on the fly, otherwise it’s all just matrix calculations, shouldn’t matter the camera per se :man_shrugging:

EDIT: I don’t know how this will behave with predefined animations, so blending existing animations with IK Locomotion may be a bit tricky

1 Like

Fixed the boolean property bug, will commit during the day :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Iza_Zed, i confirm boolean property is working correctly using latest updates.