Urban Store Front

It’s a start.

13 Likes

Woah that’s not bad for a “start.” It’d probably take me several days to do that from scratch.

1 Like

Thanks. It took me nearly two days to get this far, and I still have to add a bunch of stuff. The trim will be next, a pair of benches, litter, some contents for the store…Then I am going to make about half a dozen more, so hopefully they go very fast. :slight_smile:

You’re planning on doing half a dozen more for an entire street scene, or just for practice/workflow refinement?

They’re just for the base of one building, and the top will be apartments for which I plan to make parallax textures that will mimic 3D space. Once having accomplished that, I’ll build the area around it in lower detail and use it in an animated scene.

2 Likes

Oh, awesome! Hoping you post the final animation here on BA; based on this WIP it looks like it’s going to be visually impressive to say the least.

2 Likes

Great job! Love the little details

1 Like

Trying to dial in some decent lighting. Not my forte.

1 Like

I dunno man, it looks incredible to me :smiley:

1 Like

Have you checked out Blender Guru’s 5-part “lighting mastery” tutorial series? I recently re-watched it and apparently I forgot half the stuff he talked about. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It might be of use to you, but based on the render I’d say you’re doing just fine with your lighting.

1 Like

It looks ok now, but it took me al day.

That’s lighting for you. :sweat_smile::joy: It’s like the first sentence of a novel-- no matter how good the rest of the book might be, no matter how compelling the story, if your first sentence doesn’t immediately draw people in, then you’re sunk. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So might as well spend as much time as you can on it.

2 Likes

Thank goodness I stumbled across the Bookify add-on before I started making books manually.

3 Likes

Current progress…

3 Likes

You could’ve also downloaded the books/book set from Poly Haven. I heard there’s even sliders for stuff like age and damage (which, admittedly, might be too much detail for what you’re doing here :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

I did not notice that, but this does have an option for making it’s own shelf.
(edit) Come to think of it, it has a bunch of options, for type, sorting, age and other stuff. And I noticed there are options for adding your own graphics as well, and the cover graphics on some of them, interestingly are font objects.

1 Like

I just need to make a few low poly props to fill out the rest of the inside now. Here’s a little flyby:
…one sec…I think the normals artifacts on the inner wall will clear up when I change the material

I’m starting to make the low poly interior books…this should be fun. Or not. The one pictured is just a single cube. (edit) correction, I actually put a bevel on the spine.

2 Likes

update…still making low poly books. lol. This is the inevitable annoying part that comes with every project.
booksLP2

1 Like

Oh, and I almost forgot this lovely display case which looks a little too new ATM…

2 Likes