UV Equalize and Tube Unwrap addons (updated)

Sorry but with 0.2.1 a open tube still gives errors. even if i select all than de-select and re-select the last ring it wont work

ah, i see, forgot to mention in docs. in this case it won’t work. i can’t determine which loops are along tube and which are perpendicular in this mesh if everything is selected and tube is closed. mesh itself can be closed, but the selection must have start and end. so if you are ok with having it in a few pieces (which will be better anyway in this very long tube) you don’t need to edit mesh

but if you want in whole in one piece, you can always select one ring, V for rip, immediately ESC to let it stay on place, select all, unselect one vert on ripped ring, select again to make it active then use tube unwrap, afterwards, just deselect all, “select non manifold”, and then “remove doubles” and mesh will be unwrapped and closed again.

ps. and get 0.2.2, 0.2.1 will not work on large meshes…

edit: get 0.2.3 with clarified docs (i hope so :slight_smile: )

hello,
another minor update for tube unwrap, change log excerpt:

0.2.4 removed rectangular option and removed that portion of code since was very buggy. because nobody complained, then it is redundant and never used. also i can’t really remember why i thought it might be useful. so, it is gone forever…

if you use this addon please update to prevent unnecessary bug reports and why-the-hell-it-does-not-work flustration
j.

Hello, I am trying to use the UV equalize addon, but it does not seem to be functioning properly. I have 2 objects, one of which is low poly, and the other of which is fairly high poly. The high poly object has its UVs only taking up a small amount of the grid due to being separated from an even larger object that used to fill the grid. I want the low poly object to get to the same scale as the high poly so that procedural noise shows up at the same size on both.

I select the low poly object, then high poly, and hit UV equalize with Island Rotate and Use Active checked. The result is that the high poly object’s UV scale gets larger (from the test grid, it seems to double, so the test grid boxes halve in size.) The other poly object gets it’s UVs shrunk and set FAR down into the right lower corner of the UV window, and is so small that the texture does not show up at all.

Both objects have proper scale applied. This happens regardless of modifiers, of which object I select first, or if I have Use Active checked. Same result in every combination. Version is Blender 2.72

hi, can you post blend i can test?
j.

Here (this is only part of the model). Trying to get the boots and shoulder armor to have same UV size as the clothing.

SoldierUVTest1.zip (751 KB)

hi Oscalon it is fixed now, try new version. the problem was because you have different names of uv layouts, something i don’t usually do so i didn’t noticed it. it was true one line fix :slight_smile: the only thing, i can’t get it to work properly when i open your file directly. it makes something but scale is wrong. when i append it to blank file it works, when i switch screen layout in your file it works (very strange). just to let you know that i encountered it and if the same happen to you how to go around. just go to different screen layout… i will have a look at it soon. maybe you will have an idea why this is happening. maybe you changed some rarely used setting or so… j.

Thank you for making the update! It is sort of working now. If I change the screen layout it works fine, but otherwise it still behaves strangely (although it is no longer shrinking anything.) I’ve changed all my UV maps to the same default name. The only other things that could be different in this vs other files is that the clothing was originally imported from Marvelous Designer.

Whatever the reason, it is useable now, so thank you!

hello, i updated UV Equalize, it is complete rewrite, it is no longer necessary to repack uvs, this is optional now. also active object is left intact. see first post for details.

@Oscalon this might be it, but i couldn’t find a way to fix it. meanwhile i changed how it works completely, now it is just math but still i can’t get it work on your file on first screen layout… strange…
j.

Im trying to use the equalize but i cant seem to get the textures to be the same size. Ive checkd pack islands on and off and it does change a bit but the textures want be scaled to the same size?

Ive have 2 objects, one objects i unwrapped and scaled the uv map to make the texture better for the object. Now i select the second object and select the first object and than do the equalize. The UV does get transported but it gets the original uvunwrapped size of the first mesh, cant it transfer scaled uvmaps?

hi, are you using latest version? 0.2.0? is the first object active? and if so, can i have a blend to investigate? :slight_smile:
because this should work as expected…
j.

hmmm… im going crazy! i just made the file for you and tested it again in a blank scene and now it does work??? However in the scene where im building this car it wont work? i dont get what im doing wrong here. I did add the scene any way

Attachments

UVequalize_issue.blend (1.03 MB)

yes, it works, can you send me full file in private message?
meanwhile i did small update, now you can have selected also non mesh objects without error, it just excludes them without complaining.
j.

hi rombout,
thanks for the scene, it is fixed now. the problem was quite obscure. i am using operators to transform uvs. to do this i have to switch window type to image editor for a while, but there was loaded ‘Render Result’ and no uv was displayed and therefore operators did nothing without warning… that’s why it works when you append all to a new blend file. anyway it’s fixed and thanks a lot for reporting and sharing the scene…

for everyone else, please download new version!

j.

Sorry bro could you do scribe this in plain English … I’m not a blender guru. You where talking about render result etc. I don’t even understand why I can’t get rid of unwed textures. This is a major problem to me. I can’t clean scenes In a proper way.

new version should work now, doesn’t?
also i can describe it like, open your scene, tab to edit mode, change 3d view to image editor, and you will see instead of texture ‘Render Result’ and uvs are not visible until you click x next image selector, this is why it didn’t work and i in last version it should be fixed…

Just pressing the x didnt help. I need to shift+x and save, close blender and reopen the file. Thanks for the help!

quick update: with blender 2.73 api change i updated Tube Unwrap to obey this change. it’s backward compatible, so you can update right now!

Thanks a lot.
I use it.

How can i equalize the scale of two objects which have about 3 materials each. Each of these materials have been scaled independent in the uv editor. When i equalize them not all maps scale along. sometimes just 1 of the 3 three and some times more if i switch the order of selection