Vertex Color Master

Any chance of a 2.8 update for this addon? I’ve been making use of it in my Blender > UE4 workflow and it’s been a huge help.

Yes, I am planning to update the addon soon, but I have been busy with other things so not had the chance yet. It’s a relatively simple addon, so hopefully it won’t be too much work to port. If I do update it, it will probably happen in January.

1 Like

Nice job with this addon. Is it possible to implement material color to vertex color? I don’t like random if its about ID map because of less control and manually picking color is taking some time. Thanks.

I’ll look into it once I get it working in 2.80. Updating shouldn’t be a huge job, but I am too busy right now :frowning:

I would love a version for 2.8. I use it almost exclusively now but still really need some of the tools for vertex painting.

Once you get the chance it would be very appreciated.

Or just get it into the actual main branch.

Edit: Fixed download link (was pointing to broken version)

I did a little bit of work on it the other day and it can now be used in 2.80. However, it’s still not where I would like it to be, so I haven’t made a new release; The basic functionality is mostly working again, but it still needs a lot of polishing and fixes.

You can download the latest Blender-2.80 branch zip from my github (direct download) and it should work with current 2.80 builds. I’ll try to get some more fixes in today and over the next week or so.

If you want to use vertex masking, you need to go into weight paint mode and toggle it there, because it’s not exposed in the vertex paint UI. I’ll probably add that directly to the addon UI, but I’ve made a bug report, so maybe it will get fixed directly in Blender soon.

I’m always using your addon for a minor vertex color editing (fill and invert) and it appers very handy. Thanks!

I was trying to use this to transfer colours from UV mapped texture to vertex colours but couldn’t seem to figure it out, can this addon do this?

1 Like

No, it can’t do this. That’s something you can do with the bake settings in Blender 2.79, although I’m not sure if you can do it in 2.80 yet, since it was in the old internal render engine bake settings afaik.

I’m thinking about adding this feature to the addon though, because someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread, so it’s on my list of features to add.

3 Likes

Looks like your addon will improve Vertex Alpha painting for me at least (transfer to Alpha from R for example). Saw your todo list. Coincidentally some devs may be poking around in related code developer.blender.org/T58711 if you had feedback or wanted guidance. Some of my Vertex Color gripes, not particular to your add-on though, are here:

Thanks btw.

Many thanks for the addon.
It is very useful for me in 2.79.
Unfortunately i cannot get it to work in 2.8.
there is “vertex color master” under misc in vertex paint mode, but there is nothing within.

the system console shows me an error in line 1721
“AttributeError: ‘Scene’ object has no attribute ‘vertex_color_master_settings’”

Am I doing something wrong?

@Mr_Flamey

This is neat for sure. It would be even more awesome if it was possible to convert colors to weights.

I made an addon that did the reverse, (weights to colors) Now I am thinking that it would be nicer to go other way around as well.

If you have an interest in implementing it, I probably would wait for you and use your add-on for it. Otherwise I will revamp my oldie addon to do it in case someone else is looking for similar functionality.

thanks

2 Likes

There is a new temporary 2.80 release here: https://github.com/andyp123/blender_vertex_color_master/releases/tag/v0.8alpha

This has a few broken features, such as the gradient tool, which I intend to fix soon, but most features are working properly. The UI only appears in the n panel when you are in vertex paint mode. I plan to improve the UI by adding a pie menu and doing some more cleanup.

@LoboTommy Thanks for the feedback. Vertex alpha IS supported in 2.80, but the render doesn’t display it, and it’s not possible to paint alpha. If you use this addon, you can edit the alpha channel with the isolate channel tool, and I think fbx export alpha works, but for now at least, you can’t see it in the viewport as you can with buildbot versions of 2.79.

@Faba Yes, sorry if it wasn’t working. It was probably the wrong version. Try the new release linked above.

@kkar You can already copy color to weight or weight to color. You just need to select the correct channels in the channel swap/copy part of the UI.

2 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense. That is great.

Many thanks! works fine now :smiley:

I made a proper release for 2.80 that fixes the gradient tool, adds foreground/background values for isolate mode, cleans up the UI a little and fixes some other bugs.

Release information
Direct download

4 Likes

Why is this plugin not supported by blender core developers?, damn… It’s so good, thnx a lot. I’m using blender 2.8 and only the randomize islands (that sets a uniform color for all islands) and the brush setter are not working, the rest is working fine.

1 Like

The developer should submit this to be included in the official addons.

1 Like

Here’s a new release which adds a pie menu, some UI improvements and fixes all the annoying bugs with switching between draw and blur modes as well as some other things. I’ve also updated the documentation to reflect the current state of the add-on.

Vertex Color Master v0.81
Release information
Direct download

As usual, let me know if you find any bugs and I’ll try to get them fixed up asap. Suggestions are also welcome, although I can’t guarantee I will be able to implement anything!

I will be keeping the add-on free, but I am considering putting it on Gumroad and Blender Market for anyone who would like to make a contribution. There is also a donate button on the release information page linked above.

4 Likes

I’m following the development of Vertex Color Master with much interest. Would it be possible to add:

1. Grow and shrink options, so you can expand or contract a painted area? That would be very helpful when painting black and white vertex color masks.

2. Global blur and sharpen functions. This would also be very useful for painting vertex color black and white masks.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.