Vile Metal - A project for a steel cladded dystopian from hell

Thanks guys, I decided to go with the curved beam since it reminds me of the great time I was having in Wolfenstein haha. Low res animation render, still need more time to tinker the movement of the ship to make it seems heavy but maneuverable.

5 Likes

Mad scene you got here.
I somehow expect the guy to close his eyes after beaming stuff to death.

1 Like

Thank you! I also plan to have some smoke and particle coming out of the eye when the beam strike too, but smoke sim hasn’t been easy on my rig :woozy_face:
Also I remember you for your amazing spaceship arts, good stuff!

1 Like

Added some pushback to the ship when the beam start, and some fire effect on the eyes too, then the mouth push out a bunch of bombs (gonna need to increase the speed of those bombs), and various details,…
Got a turret firing on random stuff now, the best thing about this turret is that I “rigged” it using simple parenting and a camera hooked to the middle, then autokey it as I move it around using fly/walk mode, hurling bullets

6 Likes

Brilliant way to animate the turret, I could’ve really benefited from using that method on my entry. May still, for future tweaks. Love the style, it’s coming along nicely.

1 Like

How did you set up the infinite streams of bullets? They look awesome!

1 Like

Thank you! It was a particle emitter, I set it up to launch those projectile at high velocity like a bullet then let motion blur handle the rest.

3 Likes

Still detailing the ship, I’m gonna spend the next 2 weeks trying to make it really seems like a giant fortress, then spend atleast 3 or 4 days to render

4 Likes

I’ve been busy lately but managed to get back to it, hopefully I can make it til the deadline, added a bunch more detail on different part of the ship

2 Likes

Amazing and inspiring as always !

If you want to convey the scale and something big in the movement, I think one key is inertia, since it’s very heavy it probably can’t make quick move and stop and accelerate quickly.
Think how slow a rocket takes to lauch.

Or how big ships manage to make a turn, or stop in their motion.

Of course, since the shot is short, and you don’t want to stay linear some cheating is needed.

Good luck, it’s amazing and I can’t wait to see it finished !

2 Likes

Getting closer! Laid out some more construction for the foreground, probably won’t put animation on it since it would be too distracting from the main lazer eye

3 Likes

Time to get back to it, I was busy with Artstation’s challenges but now I’m gonna go back with a few ideas to build the world.
Since my skill in animating human is miniscule, so I’m gonna try doing mechanical animation first. My idea for the first one is gonna be guns for the human. I’m gonna extensively modify this Cei-Rigotti rifle dated way back in WW1, since WW1 and WW2 got some of the most ridiculous looking guns there are, I’m going to be making guns of the Vile Metal world based on it.

Gun first, then an environment later

3 Likes

Looking good so far, but I’ll put more automated mechanical detail on it, sort of like Half Life Alyx guns

2 Likes

So far so good, got a few more elements on it like a resistance logo, some leather straps, barrel shrouds upgrade and a pistol grip, a radium sight.

I haven’t decided on a timeline of the world yet, like after ww2, or cold war, or modern era… But I plan to use automatic stripper clip reloader for the gun, should be more interesting than the same old magazine reload

2 Likes

Currently testing fluid sim for the submarine next, next thing is a gunsmith’s submarine. I’m just making more stuff for the world building now, the fluid sim is a pain lol

2 Likes

Submarine progress, I’ve been busy lately with works but managed to get this nice looking sub together slowly

2 Likes

Awesome work :clap: :exploding_head:

2 Likes

The submarine hull doesn’t have a lot of things to work on beside the detail so I’ll work on the environment scene next, the idea is an abandoned mega shopping mall turned into a hidden submarine base, where the gunsmith usually visit.

Currently just a blockout, next step is to finish the structure, then blow a hole in the back, then the environment items like shopping mall assets

3 Likes

Not much progress today since I was fiddling around with the camera and water setting. I seriously having trouble getting the water sim of the sub emerging to look right, what my rig can handle is a blob like sim lol. If I want convincing result then I’d have to cut down a lot of other necessary file on my hard drive.
This sucks

3 Likes

Wow it’s been a month with nothing new, I was busy with all the different works and challenges to take on. So I decided that the submarine can wait, I need more grotesque machineries so I’m gonna work on a new one, this one is a smaller sized aerial unit.

6 Likes