Witcher Lighting Ignored Eevee

Hi!

Animator here! I’m trying to render my scene in Eevee, but none of my lighting has any effect. Doesn’t matter what kind of light, how close it is, or the light’s strength. There is no impact on my scene on render.

Final output always looks like this:

Way too dark. All the lights are render able. The rendered mode in the viewport also does not show any changes. I’m pretty darn stumped. Suggestions?

Your HDRI probably isn’t showing up in your render and only shows in the 3D Viewport. Here’s how to setup your HDRI to work at render time as well as in the viewport.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll give it a go first thing tomorrow.

What’s your node setup? It looks like you’re using a shadeless setup, i.e. pure emission

or you have these turned off:

Yep. I shared that guess in my post that I shared.

It must be a good idea if two people had it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uhhhhhh…I lied. Still totally busted. The world is now purple for some reason? Scene lights are on and world light is on. The world light is connected to the purple light.

I lied. Scene is still super broke. :confused:

Oh and none of the lights in the scene are purple just to be clear.

You don’t have an Environment Texture image loaded, so it defaults to magenta, which is Blender’s color for missing textures. Click Open on your Environment Texture and choose an HDRI

2 Likes

Added and adjusted. Thanks. Still the render does look different that the viewport shading. If I increase the light the skin become sunburnt looking while the armor remains too dark. Is there a way to make the eevee render almost identical to the viewport shading? Or is this as close as I can get? Thanks for the help again.
Uploading: Capture.PNG…

Are you in Material Preview or Render in the Viewport? Use Z to switch between those. Rendered will show you exactly what the final render will look like. Material Preview shows what the test HDRI lighting looks like

I am in render in the viewport, but as you can see above the rendered image looks far different.

make sure you have the same hdri in preview and render

Yeah man HDRI is active on both. I dunno. May have something to do with how the model material properties are set up. I’ll write to the model author see if they have an idea.

looking at your images, it looks like some of the lamps are working (the ones in the candles). Is the scene very large with hundreds of lights? Because Eevee has a limit on the number of lamps you can use.

If that’s not it, maybe you could upload a stripped version of your file, with the characters and textures removed, so people can take a look at your render settings?

1 Like

Here’s the whole thing. Just be careful, the model and rig as NSFW options that I have disabled. Not trying to break community guidelines. Uh, and to be clear this is just a lipsync of the show for practice. Nothing adult oriented. 0.0

Also good call. I hadn’t considered that Eevee has a lighting limit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HUF-Q6RfK_bHMyslTt9GR8e0KxojL48x/view?usp=sharing, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gWr7_cXWmxzSbTcSNOrLw6fdLtNP0gWv/view?usp=sharing

Your problem is simply that you are using an HDRI in Eevee.

Eevee doesn’t have shadows for the world background by default. There is a way to do it however: you need to use an irradiance volume. It’s an object that you place over your scene and it will allow you to bake the indirect lighting in Eevee (though it can’t change during an animation, so it will only work for scenes that don’t change much).

Once you have placed it, you will need to go to the indirect lighting tab in the render settings and bake the indirect light. It will take maybe a minute if you set a decent resolution and then the indirect light will be frozen in place, including shadowing for your sky. Basically, it will replace the flat ambient that Eevee normally has.