Blender 2.8 viewport updates

As I wrote, it’s not as visible on the video unfortunately. But you can try it yourself if you have 2.8 downloaded. If you look closely, the fade effect doesn’t feel that smooth, but rather choppy.

Hmm check maybe your drivers. It is smooth as butter for me. It is too slow, but very smooth.

1 Like

People who don’t want fade in/fade out animation, probably don’t want Smooth View for View changes or Pie menu animation, too.
It should be possible to have this animation as a preference as the others to set it to 0ms.
Or maybe it could be merged with pie-menu animation preference.

1 Like

This has always been the case with Region Overlap as someone already stated. The animation does indeed look low framerate and that’s why I never enabled it in 2.79.

About Region Overlap. In a couple of tests that I had done some time ago when I had read about low fps with it enabled, I could never reproduce a noticeable low in fps in viewport animations due to region overlap enabled. Does any of you have a .blend file where this is verifiable? Maybe this happens only on some OSs or with some graphics cards?

I think that too, because on my system no matter of file, it is very smooth. I have Ryzen 2700x, 1070Ti, Win10.

I just would not like to use something that can be a myth like being low fps with Region Overlap, to try to use it as an argument to be against other things, like transparencies. Anyway, even if I do not find evidence that Region Overlap reduces fps, I do not like full transparency or eyecandy, I do not use it in 2.79. I do not like scroll bars not always visible, nor fade in/out panels effects. It is unproductive and distracting. Let’s use Blender “to create” art and eye candy if you want, but Blender’s GUI does not necessarily have “to be” art and eye candy. Here I can get to agree with C4D guys. For example, icons in C4D are far from artistically beautiful. But they are very clear and representative even with color schemes. They are highly productive.

About Full Transparency in panel, the handle appearing in edge could become confusing in some cases:

2 Likes

I refuse to believe that the behavior of the handle is the intended behavior. It looks like half-finished and buggy, because of the fact that it doesn’t match with the actual edge (not only vertically but also horizontally).

I also agree with the rest of your comment. Eye candy can be nice if it is optional and works fast without eating too much extra resources. But pure speed always triumphs over eye candy.
I think transparency is not only eye candy but has something more to offer than pure aesthtics, and it should if possible be separated from other eye candy.

2 Likes

Eye candy disturbs thought flow as it takes attention from hard work, solving problems…
Similar to solving sadness by eating sweets.

“How can i… Ooooh, how beautiful! Now i’m happy.”
“Where was i then? Ohhh… how beautiful… problems can wait or someone else will solve it for me…”

Right…

Then, sooner or later becomes a habit & should be changed for the sake of change. Problems appear, resistance, bugs,… What waste.

If development will do such UI change again in couple of years, better tell now & i’m out. I simply prefer consistency while working.

1 Like

I agree Transparency of region’s background have to do with a better perception of scene displayed behind 3D View regions.

For me, handle only appears if brush is painting a vertex that is just on the line of border of toolbar.
I can paint a vertex before or after the border which is impossible with opaque background from Region Overlap off. Problem can be easily solved by using the handle to close the toolbar.

There is no eye candy effect in the ability to resize and close toolbar by moving pointer above its border.

@YAFU , you are annoyed by that. You can disable Region Overlap. User Preference was not removed.
You will loose the annoyance and the benefit of Region overlap.
Why complaining when alternative is present ?
It is a different situation than unnecessary animations of UI that user can’t disable.

Hahaha, c’mon man, that simple fade is nothing.
If people can’t keep working because of that, we’ve reached the end of the world.

Look at zbrush for example, pretty fancy, the dialog boxes got fade in/out effects, even the menus by default are transparent, crazy scrolling behavior with inertia effects, and you know what, people are working day and night with it, and I never saw people complaining about those things.

The drama here is funny.

5 Likes

Hi zeauro.
I thought it was clear from my message that I know about Region Overlap and how to disable it. Only pointing out a possible confusion that could be presented with full transparency by default and people who do not know about Region Overlap. Let’s be realistic, for a common user “Region Overlap” thing does not say much about “Transparency” thing.

1 Like

The double arrow handle will be explained in video tutorial for new users.
I have no doubt that how to resize areas, to close Topbar, Status bar and to minimize toolbar will be explained.

And because it is not a behaviour limited to toolbar ; there is a strong probability that a new user will discover that before starting to model or paint anything that would go beyond toolbar boundary.

Should default theme background region alpha value be higher than zero ?
A user browsing available themes can discover regions.

Blender 2.8 requirement will be an OpenGL version higher than 2.79. Performance should not be a problem.
Paradigm will be inverted. User will wait a delay before discovering Region Overlap Off is possible.
IMO, it hurts less than a delay to discover that Region Overlap On is possible.

At this point I do not understand you well, zeauro. Do you think it was wrong for me to point out that possible problem that can generate confusion to see if developers reading this can find a better solution?. For example, making the panel end just where the buttons end, I do not know.

For me, if there is confusion, it will not persist more than several minutes or hours.
And it is not obvious that confusion can touch many users.
It is really a minor problem.

It does not hurt to report what you are worried about.
Honestly, I did not understand how this could be perceived as a source of confusion in an UI with corners creating new areas.

Many minor accumulated problems can become a big problem. I think it’s good to point out all of them.

Even I am not claiming that I am right about anything. Only giving my opinion as a user of a program that is being developed, just in case developers consider that this is a valid point.
But you’re probably right.

Love it when i can make people laugh :slight_smile:

Ok, I simply consider these as gimmicks, a wasted time in development & if it’s nothing, then work should be done in full - with an option to disable it. If that presents a problem… :poop:

Either way, there are many more such annoyances coming in instead of going out. Having similar futile notions as previously when Gooseberry was in the making.
Much appreciated & many thanks to fjuhec for his pigeon build.

Another remark, since 3D cursor can be hidden, adding an option to lock it becomes a must. Cuz it may end up in the Neverland which you’ll notice only after adding…

Few more, about the use on a tablet… or helping users to become hedonistic artists :wink:
Keep viewport navigation options while in camera view.
Instead of Ortho/Perspective switch (it can be & is automated) add a button to view selected.
Better navigation/behavior while using transform tools (emulate 3 button mouse clashes with navigation)
More to come…

Have fun & keep the soap on the floor… :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to note, nearly every known application and OS in existence (including Linux) has been moving away from the somewhat cold industrial look since the turn of the 21st century (ie. an application with a completely utilitarian skin that scarcely uses so much as color).

PC’s are more than capable of handling an application of a sleek and modern look (at high performance) so long as it’s not built on top of a many-layered pile of libraries and API’s). If anyone really wants a 1990’s or even a 1980’s look with no visual flair, then perhaps that can be arranged with some commits related to theming and a preset.

Hehehe… clearly so.
But do it with a style, amplifying UI’s intent and function not just for the sake of eye-love-to-lick-candy or worse, because everyone else has it.

We’ll see what will come of it. I’m already jumping over walls & fences so - no biggie.

However, a lot of users these days look for such a pleasing UI when looking at a new application. Even though it isn’t always the case, the old style UI is now sometimes seen as a marker of a program that is outdated and unable to keep up with the competition. It’s a case of shifting user perspectives and that can be quite difficult to change (it’s hard enough to prevent people from dismissing Blender outright just because there’s no pricetag).