Challenge #837 (05/07/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #837 for Friday 5th of July 2019 is:

Forbidden Snacks

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jul 8, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

If Photoshop or Gimp is used to create UV textures for models and/or backgrounds, but all modeling and rendering is done in Blender, is the entry considered open or pure? I’ve seen a lot of discussion on this but not an absolute yes or no (at least not after 15 minutes or so of searching the threads and I’m not willing to spend any more time on it than that). Thanks!

Actually there isn’t a definite answer to this. In the end it is the artists personal decision. But consider this:

If you spent hours or even days in Gimp or Krita, painting an actual masterpiece, and just put it on a plane in Blender, it probably wouldn’t feel right to call the entry ‘pure’. On the other hand, calling an entry, with lots of new models and great ideas ‘open’ because of a few textures which were created in Inkscape, doesn’t feel right as well.

The rule is there to make things a little fairer. But in the end, it doesn’t really matter all that much. Just trust your gut on this matter. :slight_smile:

Btw. it is always a good idea to state what tools/libraries/plugins have been used in order to create the entry. This way the voters can decide.

1 Like

It would be pretty much considered pure. Although some people would consider a picture of a hotel by the beach a texture :wink:

2 Likes

“If you spent hours or even days in Gimp or Krita, painting an actual masterpiece, and just put it on a plane in Blender, it probably wouldn’t feel right to call the entry ‘pure’.”

I wouldn’t do that LOL! I’m just thinking it’s a lot faster after taking all the time to model a character to UV unwrap it and texture it up in Photoshop (e.g. denim with a LEVI’S label on it). I get your point though, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone do that.

“On the other hand, calling an entry, with lots of new models and great ideas ‘open’ because of a few textures which were created in Inkscape, doesn’t feel right as well.”

This is more or less what I was thinking.

1 Like

Although some people would consider a picture of a hotel by the beach a texture :wink:

I’m hip :rofl:

Actually, this hasn’t been a real problem so far. :slight_smile:
This challenge is mainly for fun, learning and staying in the game. So, playing unfair on purpose really wouldn’t make much sense.

2 Likes

“Man who enter weekend challenge, challenge himself. Man who cheat on weekend challenge, cheat only himself. Man who feel defeated on weekend challenge, miss the point.”
– Confucius

9 Likes

Yesterday, CG Boost launched its Ice Cream Shop Challenge, I will be expecting a few ice cream entries :stuck_out_tongue: along with my very own :wink:

Double pizza night!

rendered in my oven!

6 Likes

haha, i was like, i’ve seen this renders somewhere :thinking: I was fooled again :smiley:

1 Like

I post everything I use in conjunction with blender if I go out of blender for post, about the only thing I use is gimp which is very rare if I do use it unless it gets a little more complex then I start making HDRI backgrounds, masking doing this or that :grin:, but most everything I do is in blender.

but like Helge said its for you to determine if its open or pure .

If you go out of blender for post, post what you use in conjunction with blender. :+1: :grin:

lol, that’s funny so how does a rendered oven work. :thinking: :grin:
I wont start on anything until tomorrow i’m helping my dad remodel his house haven’t been home for a week. :yum: you ready for another “half baked render”, lol.

1 Like

you could start something for this challenge and finish it for the icecream challenge, because you started it at the same time and not before it will reduce your time frame for the amount of work. :+1::grin:

I think I have something for the ice-cream shop challenge Im building something on fallout 4 I can use for reference.

1 Like

“Tide Pod Donuts”

Pure

Cycles, 500 samples

3 Likes

Sidewalk Delight

Pure entry, 1000 samples.

2 Likes

Rendering now.

The Dream Spore”
My concept sketch, in the depths of a forest on a world not so far away, a spore creature with a fruitlike spore so irresistible the fragrance or sight of it drives the inhabitants mad. The desire to obtain it so immense that exposure to it has been known to invoke a dreamlike state for the victim whom wanders off seeking it until the end of their days.

3 Likes

PURE “Chocolate hamster”
Cycles 512s.

6 Likes

“Hands Off”

non-competing (pure), cycles (512 samples + denoising)

8 Likes

(Not) Good for Health

OLD

Pure entry. Blender 2.8, Cycles 256 samples + denoising + compositing, procedural textures only, all works done with Blender.

Had fun modeling the little fruits, though still not too satisfied with some of it… * shakes fist at the kiwi and coconut *

EDIT : change them to mango and avocado

8 Likes