Unseen Westeros: Golden Tooth

Golden Tooth, a small castle that has been home to many battles, the seat of House Lefford in the Westerlands, guards the hill road between the Westerlands and the Riverlands. I imagined it as a small, but though to defeat keep, proudly standing in the light of the setting sun and shining like a golden tooth in the midst of giant mountains.

This is the first of three pieces I did for the exhibition “Unseen Westeros”.
Here are the other ones:
Widows Watch, Summer Isles
The main idea behind this exhibition/art-book is to show all the beautiful places of Game of Thrones we couldn’t see in the series. Me and over 40 artists worked on this ambitious project.
If you are interested in learning more, check out the website: https://unseen-westeros.com

I used Blender for creating the castle and its walls and some other small stuff around it, the environment is mainly matte painting though.

Breakdown and closeups:

Golden_Tooth_Breakdown_anim2

146 Likes

The result is stunning! Feature film ready :slight_smile: Very nice integration of elements. How did you go about the clouds, made them your self / painted or collaged them? And the same question for the grass in the front. Great job and technique, i would love to see a more detailed workflow description.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Okavango! Glad you like it!

The clouds were done with custom made cloud alphas i extracted from photos and painting with a cloudbrush. The grass is mostly from photos but i used a organic looking brush in photoshop to mix and combine all the seperate elements together. So all in all hundreds of layers mith masks and hundreds of adjustment layers.

2 Likes

Yeah, the giff in combination with the zoomed segment below really shows how skilful you are. Such nice sample choice and subtle adjustments. Great work.

1 Like

Only 15 likes? Why?
This artwork deserves more!

Just look at the lake, grass and everything else.:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

This is fantastic! Love the breakdown.
How do you organise something like this between so many people?

1 Like

Amazing work, you’re #featured! :+1:

1 Like

Oh my… Fantastic. Purely fantastic! Congratulations for this masterpiece!

1 Like

Wohhoo … thanks for the feature Bart!
Really glad you guys like it! I hope i can finally share the other two Mattepainting i did for the project sometime in the following few weeks, Blender was a huge help for those aswell!

1 Like

I wasnt involved in organizing this project, so I can’t give you more info on this.
To my knowledge everthing was planned and organized mainly by Sven Sauer (http://www.mattepainting-studio.com) and Tobias Mannewitz (Managing Director of the famous Karakter Studio: http://karakter.de/wordpress/studio/).

I was just one of the artists, here is a list of all the amazing artists that contributed to this:
https://unseen-westeros.com/en/artists/

1 Like

Beautiful work.

Thank you for sharing the development process.

1 Like

Wow! Excellent composition! :grin:

1 Like

Nice! Really great to see Blender used in all these high-profile projects.

1 Like

WOW! that gif is so cool! What a stunning scene. Im definitely going to check that link. That sounds like a buig project if 40 artists worked in it.

Great job!

I just saw the Video on KickStarter. One thing im curious about. How can artists which work on the actual production of Game of Thrones do work like this. Arent they some sort of restricted to do this kind of work in there own time. Its related to GOT and they could use all props they used in the actual series.

1 Like

Awesome work man…

1 Like

Inspirational work. Thank you for sharing it.

1 Like

Well, we are careful to not violate NDAs and not use intellectual property owned by HBO, so no content that was seen in the series, no existing GoT heraldry, and so on. Therefore “Unseen Westeros”. The project has the approval from George R. R. Martin, so we obviously are allowed to use intellectual property from the books.
Furthermore i highly doubt that any of the artists have access to actual GoT props from home, the security in that regard is pretty good.

2 Likes

another fellow artist stuck behind the walls of mpaa :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ManuelGrad, you said you used a “cloudbrush?!” I am knew to Blender, what is a “cloudbrush?” Does that mean that those clouds are actually volumetric?

He said how he did it :wink: It was not done in Blender though

Its done in photoshop or other application which is capable of either loading alpha brushes or create them yourself. There are tons of free brushes on the webs just like these. Just need to find the proper resolution and looks.

1 Like