The extended version is finally available on gumroad: https://gum.co/uvpackmaster
A few updates:
- thanks to a new developer in the team we were able to implement additional feature for the first release: the heuristic search algorithm for an optimal packing.
- we decided to enable island overlap check feature in the basic version as well so even if you are not going to buy the extended version I recommend doing an update.
Don’t forget to watch the presentation video.
I developed a new UV packing solution for Blender. It is very efficient due to the core of the algorithm is performed by a multithreaded C++ application. (Is it the first C+±based Blender addon ever? Do you know any other? ;). Still the solution is a usual Blender plugin from the user viewpoint - you install it like a standard add-on.
In order to prove how efficient it is I will give you 2 examples:
- It took less than 3 sec. on my quite old i5-2450M (two cores) to generate such packing:
- More extreme example: 1015 islands! On the same processor it took about 21 sec. to generate packing:
What is more the underlying algorithm used by the packer was designed with a bunch of useful features in mind, e.g. grouping islands by material, packing additional islands to those already packed. I am going to implement them soon.
Currently the add-on is supported on two platforms: Linux 64 bit and Windows 64 bit. I will add Mac support if there are many requests for it. If you still are on a 32 bit platform… well it’s time to refresh your hardware probably
Note that I didn’t have possibility to test the application on many systems and configurations, so some errors still might be present. If you encounter any issue please let me know. I will try to fix it as soon as possible.
The add-on will be available in two versions: basic and extended. The basic version has limited functionality, but it is available for free.
Functionalities NOT available in basic version:
- rotating islands during packing
- checking for overlapping islands (might be useful when you do some manual packing).
You can download the basic version from here: [EDIT]: the basic version is currently available on gumroad only: https://gum.co/uvpackmaster (free download).
I am going to upload extended version to gumroad in a few days. Beware