Macro facial renders (100% Blender)

More renders coming from the tutorial course I’ve been producing for 2 years (BTW it releases at the end of this month on cgcookie.com and the blender market!)

I’ve primarily posted full-frame portraits (Simon, Abe, Colin) but for this I wanted to stress-test the details up close. This model is the “Colin” head (as taught step-by-step in the HUMAN course) and to my surprise the only thing I had to tweak was the amount of vellus hairs.

I only used Blender to create everything from scratch. No zbrush, substance, commercial addons or commercial resources.

Thanks for looking! :slight_smile:

165 Likes

I want it now! =D Preordered it but 3.0 seems to mess with the hair of the files. Not a big problem though.

Anyway cant wait to dive into it.

2 Likes

I’m honored that you’ve pre-ordered! Admittedly I haven’t even downloaded a 3.0 experimental build yet. Before I started teaching I was always quick to get the latest and greatest exp builds. But now I tend to avoid them till they’re released as trunk :sweat_smile:

It’s useful to know that 3.0 could mess up some things about the files / content. I’ll need to address that if it persists…

3 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

4 Likes

This is exceedingly real! :smiley:
And the fact that you only used Blender is jaw-dropping! :astonished:
This is an exceptionally true talent! I am wondering when the film industry is going to hire you.

5 Likes

Crazy details! Been astonished when you first posted those renders of that African American guy with the glasses. It all looks so well-made!

4 Likes

Wait?! How can you pre-order and then say 3.0 messes with the files?!

1 Like

Well, 3.0 is not officially released yet which also means it wasn’t available when I started recording 2 years ago :sweat_smile:

Seriously though, it’s impossible to teach deep, advanced topics like this and keep up to date with the latest version of Blender. HUMAN starts with 2.82 and finishes with 2.93. Blender updates way too fast to stay ahead of it. Besides, while Blender changes rapidly, 3D workflows and concepts rarely change. Especially not substantially. This is why the famous Joan of Arc modeling tutorial can still be relevant today. I first learned from it in 2003. Also why Gleb and Aidy’s Space VFX and Robo course are still selling today, despite being recorded with 2.79.

I know it will confuse some students (especially those newer to Blender) to start watching HUMAN and realize it begins with Blender 2.82 when 3.0 is around the corner. It’s unavoidable though. All I can do is try to explain this reality so they realize concepts + workflow are the important thing.

11 Likes

Thanks, Alina - That’s very kind of you to say!

I worked in the industry for a few years before joining CG Cookie full time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The pre-order has some extras that you can already access. Like the files for some portraits, where the close-ups are from.

When they are opened in 3.0 the hair looks different and i have not looked into it why. Seems weird though because they have not changed or improved the hair system.

But no worries this course should even work for beginners but still this is a very hard topic and the first head wont look like that. The anatomy head reference is also in the extras which should also help nailing the head shape.

2 Likes

Can The movember 23 be tommorow please?

1 Like

Super awesome work.
:+1:

1 Like

I agree with everyone else… fantastic work !

How sad for the rest of us that you are “the luthier”… obviously building stringed instruments will continue to be your calling :upside_down_face: !

(BTW - I am Cal, the programmer)

Good luck !

1 Like

Does this course go over anatomy too?

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Very Impressive! Bravo!

2 Likes

well done bro :+1:

1 Like

THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL, I am buying this <3

1 Like

Bought this without even blinking, highly recommend anyone else who wants to do realistic characters in blender does the same :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Haha indeed it’s an example of deciding a username to identify myself to the world when I’m young and not actually sure of my identity :sweat_smile: I love that you know what a luthier is though! I promise I still make a scratch electric guitars occasionally when I find the time

2 Likes